• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the SF approved response to this?

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm wearing my new favorite shoes - C&J handgrade medium brown captoes, and a colleague says:

"Hey, nice shoes, what are those, Bostonians?"

What would be the proper response?

classicusa

Reaction score
Just tell them what they are. No reason to bogue on the guy. If he is really interested, he'll figure out what they are, and your good taste will avail itself in a classy and distinguished manner...

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurk%20moar%20cats.jpg

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clearly, clubbing the guy would be considered an appropriate, if mild, response.

Personally, I would go with clubbing followed by castration and finally revelation of what the awesome shoes really are.

Have you considered therapy?

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cbbuff

"Hey, nice shoes, what are those, Bostonians?"

What would be the proper response?

"thanks, they're just C&J's/Crockett & Jones"

Accept the compliment but do not make a fool of him or undermine Bostonians.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This happened to me, but differently. I went into a Cole Haan store looking for xmas gifts about a week ago and the SA looked at my shoes and really liked them. He asked, are the Allen Edmonds?
biggrin.gif
Funny thing... is they were vintage Bostonians/Iron Age! These in black. Picked up at a thrift store as NOS. Still full-grain leather and goodyear welted though. They looked better than any Cole Haan in the store. When I brought them to my shoe shiner, his colleague thought they were Johnston and Murphy.
frown.gif

Jay

Reaction score
For those stuck in a SF bubble, the majority (I'm guessing at least 95%) of the U.S. population has never heard of C&J, Lobb, EG, Vass, etc.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Nah, Crocket & Jones, it's an English company" and leave it at that unless he asks more. Trust me, I learned the hard way about talking clothes shoes with people who don't share my affinity for the subject. Makes one come off as pretentious, elitist or just plain oblivious to others' interests. And while we may be each and every one of those things, no need to broadcast it
wink.gif

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what I say in those types of situations..."Yeah, something like that", and then smile condescendingly, so that the poor sob feels it in his gut how inferior/stupid he is for asking the question in the first place.

Never discuss brands lest you want to look like a d-bag

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads