• Styleforum is going on Instagram Live today with Eva Kuhle of Epaulet

    Today, Peter talks to Eva Kuhle of Epaulet, a long time Styleforum member and sponsor, in the latest episode in our ongoing series of conversations about COVID-19 and the impact the global pandemic on the menswear industry

    Tune in at 4:00 p.m. PDT

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What is the SF approved response to this?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
4,121
Reaction score
288
I've been asked questions like that. I usually say something like, "I have some of those, but these are (insert brand)." That way, you don't insult a brand he obviously thinks is nice, and you tell him about a new brand he may have not heard of.

Mike
 

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
7,527
Reaction score
25
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
"Nah, Crocket & Jones, it's an English company" and leave it at that unless he asks more. Trust me, I learned the hard way about talking clothes shoes with people who don't share my affinity for the subject. Makes one come off as pretentious, elitist or just plain oblivious to others' interests. And while we may be each and every one of those things, no need to broadcast it
.

+10
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I've been asked questions like that. I usually say something like, "I have some of those, but these are (insert brand)." That way, you don't insult a brand he obviously thinks is nice, and you tell him about a new brand he may have not heard of. Mike
+20 This is the sort of little white lie that always works pretty well and avoids snobbery or condescention.
 

dshin

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
1,131
Reaction score
0
The majority of the population never heard of C&J, Vass, Lobb, etc...like a posted stated earlier.
And even more would cringe at the thought of spending more than $100 on a pair of shoes.
I get asked this often at work, where kenneth coles are considered the epitome of high end shoes.
I just say they are "brand X"...if I get a puzzled look, i just say most ppl probably aren't familiar with them. They are made in "country of origin" and leave it at that.
Some will dig deeper and ask how much do they run...and I tell them and 99% of the time I get a gasp.
 

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2008
Messages
4,310
Reaction score
82
Originally Posted by dshin
Some will dig deeper and ask how much do they run...and I tell them and 99% of the time I get a gasp.

Yes, when the conversation goes that far (very infrequently), I say "BTW, they are over X years old". Gives it a bit of context. I used to wear shoes out in 6 months to a year.
 

dshin

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
1,131
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by KObalto
Yes, when the conversation goes that far (very infrequently), I say "BTW, they are over X years old". Gives it a bit of context. I used to wear shoes out in 6 months to a year.

Yep. And from these convos, it's led to why I spend so much more than the average person on shoes, talk about the construction, etc...and as long as I dont come across as condensing, ppl aer very receptive.
I've led more than a few ppl at work from wearing squared toed kenneth coles to AEs, Aldens, and varios english brands.
 

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2009
Messages
2,361
Reaction score
527
Originally Posted by cbbuff
So I'm wearing my new favorite shoes - C&J handgrade medium brown captoes, and a colleague says: "Hey, nice shoes, what are those, Bostonians?" What would be the proper response?
"Yeah, they kind of look like it, but I got them in England."
 

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2008
Messages
4,310
Reaction score
82
Originally Posted by dshin
Yep. And from these convos, it's led to why I spend so much more than the average person on shoes, talk about the construction, etc...and as long as I dont come across as condensing, ppl aer very receptive. I've led more than a few ppl at work from wearing squared toed kenneth coles to AEs, Aldens, and varios english brands.
Yep, I supervise 25 lawyers who are mostly quite young and appear in court quite frequently. I try to steer them away from the square-toed loafers and bicycle toe shoes they usually arrive in when they join my unit. When asked, I generally recommend round-toed lace-ups, usually AE, which we get the 25% corporate discount for at the JAB down the street. I've sold so many of these, I should get a commission.
We are as snarky a bunch as SF, and the other day one of my better dressed guys came charging in my office followed by 3 of his co-workers hectoring him about his new Chelsea boots and how they were inappropriate to wear with suits. He asked, in his Southern drawl, "Are these okay for suits?", I said sure, he left vindicated, and his co-workers slunk after him. These poor guys pay way too much attention to me.
 

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
6,514
Reaction score
514
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
"Nah, Crocket & Jones, it's an English company" and leave it at that unless he asks more. Trust me, I learned the hard way about talking clothes shoes with people who don't share my affinity for the subject. Makes one come off as pretentious, elitist or just plain oblivious to others' interests. And while we may be each and every one of those things, no need to broadcast it
.


Good response. +1
 

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jan 3, 2008
Messages
12,896
Reaction score
2,182
Originally Posted by KObalto
Yep, I supervise 25 lawyers who are mostly quite young and appear in court quite frequently. I try to steer them away from the square-toed loafers and bicycle toe shoes they usually arrive in when they join my unit. When asked, I generally recommend round-toed lace-ups, usually AE, which we get the 25% corporate discount for at the JAB down the street. I've sold so many of these, I should get a commission.

We are as snarky a bunch as SF, and the other day one of my better dressed guys came charging in my office followed by 3 of his co-workers hectoring him about his new Chelsea boots and how they were inappropriate to wear with suits. He asked, in his Southern drawl, "Are these okay for suits?", I said sure, he left vindicated, and his co-workers slunk after him.
These poor guys pay way too much attention to me.


Well done! This explains why all of the older lawyers that walk into where I work all wear Aldens in cordovan.
 

cross22

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2009
Messages
5,082
Reaction score
1,779
"Oh these? I am not sure, maybe."
 

ktrp

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2010
Messages
447
Reaction score
10
Factual questions can generally get factual answers.

They asked the brand, you tell them.

They ask what it costs, you tell them about checking B&S like you're playing a slot machine.
 

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2002
Messages
7,121
Reaction score
1,203
Thanks, but these are Crockett and Jones.

The guy really like your shoes. In his limited knowledge of shoes, Bostonian is a very good shoe.
Since your shoes look nice, they must be Bostonian. Keep in mind this was a sincere compilment and respond accordingly. You can bet your last dollar, he will google "Crockett and Jones shoes" and see the retail price. That's when the fun begins!!
 

in stitches

Kung Joo
Spamminator Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Oct 10, 2010
Messages
70,000
Reaction score
33,101
Originally Posted by mr monty
Thanks, but these are Crockett and Jones.

The guy really like your shoes. In his limited knowledge of shoes, Bostonian is a very good shoe.
Since your shoes look nice, they must be Bostonian. Keep in mind this was a sincere compilment and respond accordingly. You can bet your last dollar, he will google "Crockett and Jones shoes" and see the retail price. That's when the fun begins!!


agreed forcing too much info on someone never works let him find out himself with a little info from you
 

raphaelargus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2010
Messages
88
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by cbbuff
So I'm wearing my new favorite shoes - C&J handgrade medium brown captoes, and a colleague says:

"Hey, nice shoes, what are those, Bostonians?"



Said sarcastically?
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
436,116
Messages
9,373,457
Members
196,681
Latest member
greetjaims
Top