• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nice Casual/Elegant Jeans?

brimley

Reaction score
+1 ********** and Bone. Colorfast, closer to a trouser cut, nicer drape than most raw denim. -1 on APC, since they need to be sized way down and wind up with stretch marks. APCs do have that sweet spot in the first couple months when they're still blue black but have softened up a bit, I guess. Also -1 on Nudie on back pocket stitching alone. If you get one of the waxed models or are willing to remove the stitching, then they work. Almost no Nudies would be considered colorfast.

Nom de Guerre is an excellent dress denim if you're wearing a jacket or an untucked shirt. The rise is a little high otherwise. Very dark, nice indigo/blue tones, minimalist details.

contaygious

Reaction score
what makes rag and bone more dressy? look just like any typical raw denim jean to me:
23B3CC6EAB.JPG

BB127BFD1E.JPG

I wear armani jeans with dress shrits which go pretty well. Very shiny and dark.
+1 to Earnest Sewn if you can fit into them as they are way too short for me.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Acne Mics are the best dress up jean. They are very dark and are almost impossible to fade, even with washing, so that makes them perfect for the OP's purposes. The cut is also pretty flattering for almost any body type. The only "disadvantage" is zip fly.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Casual-Elegant.

Sounds like Abercrombie & Fitch marketing.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by contaygious
what makes rag and bone more dressy?
I wouldnt call R&B a dressy jean, at least not any dressier than most other raw jeans to me a dressy jean is one that has even indigo coloring, so it's not streaky. A higher rise. Minimal/no contrast stitching/pocket logo. The most "dressiest jean" I've seen is one Marc Jacobs had this S/S, really dark, slimfitting and even indigo with purple selvage. $175

DBoon

Reaction score
Get some nice black raw denim. Obviously it's slower to fade than indigo, and thus teh color is more uniform, and thus classier.

KMW 1980 Black (the Darkness) at Context would be really nice.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I wouldnt call R&B a dressy jean, at least not any dressier than most other raw jeans
Drinking those late-night blue hawaiians again?

Fit photos like those can be misleading as can advice from certain drunk forum members...

There's lots you don't see, contaygious. R&B has a very smooth hand, a lined waistband, details like suspender buttons, etc. After seeing them in person, let alone wearing them, there'd be no way you could mistake them for other jeans on the market. They're not designed for hard wear the way a repro would be and while the fading is a rather nice greycast, that's more of happy bonus than their prime objective. I own a few pairs and they're really just dress pants in disguise.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Drinking those late-night blue hawaiians again?

Fit photos like those can be misleading as can advice from certain drunk forum members...

There's lots you don't see, contaygious. R&B has a very smooth hand, a lined waistband, details like suspender buttons, etc. After seeing them in person, let alone wearing them, there'd be no way you could mistake them for other jeans on the market. They're not designed for hard wear the way a repro would be and while the fading is a rather nice greycast, that's more of happy bonus than their prime objective. I own a few pairs and they're really just dress pants in disguise.

I would also still class Rag and Bone as the most accessible "dressy" jean. whodini is spot-on in his description; before mine were hemmed too short, they were my go-to for classier than casual jean occasions. The hand is what is most definitive about them in this sense. I've got just about every raw jean I want (excluding an acceptable grey, goddamnit) and when compared to all of those, I think R&B is still your best bet.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I would also still class Rag and Bone as the most accessible "dressy" jean. whodini is spot-on in his description; before mine were hemmed too short, they were my go-to for classier than casual jean occasions.
I keep telling you, it's not the hem...
urkel.jpg
(Apologies for not ps'ing him with a pink shirt.)
Originally Posted by kronik
I've got just about every raw jean I want (excluding an acceptable grey, goddamnit) and when compared to all of those, I think R&B is still your best bet.
We need to get a hold of Mauro to order some of those grey R&B's, ironically enough.

hefner

Reaction score
I know it's a bit overkill, but I love my R&B RB6's so much that I got two pairs, one to keep nice and dressy, and one to wear harder.

I'm considering getting the KMW 1950. Anyone have the 1950 and the RB6? If so, how do they compare.

Thanks!

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually think R&B are one of the least dressy brands out there, because of their oversized, unevenly stitched pockets; it's not a bad look, but it's also not a dressy look imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads