• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woody Allen Movie Thread

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just seen Midnight In Paris which I rather enjoyed. Adrian Brody is great as Dalì. Some repetitive Allen tropes such as the wife and father in law but lead actor wasn't as annoying as I expected. Kathy Bates also good as Gertrude Stein.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a nice interview with WA just gone up here. Can be podcast, too. Talks mainly about Midnight In Paris

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

'Deconstructing Harry' has some classic Allen moments where he is really bitter -- I think it was made around the time of his divorce from Mia Farrow. Match Point is worth seeing.Most others are worth a try if you like his stuff.

Match Point is excellent.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woody Allen is a filmmaker who is both underrated and overrated. His worst movies weren't that terrible but his best were never really that great either. It's always a bunch of neurotic characters being neurotic. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
So, I saw Midnight in Paris on the plane yesterday. I dunno.

I didn't hate it. Probably didn't even dislike it. But I thought it was rather flat. The theme is bascially Purple Rose, re-made. The notion of the "Golden Age fallacy" is itself a fallacy. so that bugged me. Inez and the parents were too caricaturish. Etc.

But the big sin for me was ... I didn't laugh! Woody just can't make me laugh any more. Match Point, I must agree, was very good though it was a total remake of C&M. But there was also not one joke in it.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone see Blue Jasmine yet?

Agreed on the laughs (lack thereof) in Midnight in Paris, Manton.

OliverGauffe

Reaction score
For fans of Woody's skill with couple dialogue and complex romantic relationships, Vicki Christina Barcelona is a work of art. Match Point is extremely good as well, but not typically "Woody" in many ways. He has started making his films revolve around well-off Americans on holidays in Europe. He has the one in Barcelona, and then Midnight in Paris, and then the other one about Rome... there are common themes in all of them, and I feel he has become a little cliché in his old age, but he is still churning out entertaining films, seemingly with his hands tied behind his back.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer Woody´s earliest work. Most of his latest movies haven´t really done it for me. I´m currently watching "Stardust Memories" and quite loving it so far. I guess I find it better when woody himself stars in his movies.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with others in this thread that Manhattan is his best film. Ironically, this is Woody's least favorite and he was surprised "they let [him] get away with it." For some reason I have a particular affinity for Bananas as well. Mostly because of this scene

OliverGauffe

Reaction score
Yes, old WA is the best, some of his slapstick stuff from the 70s, and of course his mastery of couple dialogue, falling in love dialogue, and then breaking up as well. It seems most artists don't like their pièces that are the most popular with the masses.

Jl29

Reaction score
I enjoyed:
Manhattan
Sleeper
Match Point
Midnight In Paris
The Purple Rose Of Cairo
Crimes and Misdemeanors
and the latest Blue Jasmine looks good.

markusadams

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My fav movie is Love and Death, I've rewatched it so many times. I didn't like Melinda&Melinda, other his movies are very good, funny and smart. I've watched about 40 of his movies))

Knuthamsun

Reaction score
So, I saw Midnight in Paris on the plane yesterday. I dunno.

I didn't hate it. Probably didn't even dislike it. But I thought it was rather flat. The theme is bascially Purple Rose, re-made. The notion of the "Golden Age fallacy" is itself a fallacy. so that bugged me. Inez and the parents were too caricaturish. Etc.

But the big sin for me was ... I didn't laugh! Woody just can't make me laugh any more. Match Point, I must agree, was very good though it was a total remake of C&M. But there was also not one joke in it.

How about whatever works?
I think the Larry David's misanthropy balances out allen's sentimentality very well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads