• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woody Allen Movie Thread

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Man, I HAVE seen more Woody Allen than I thought at first.

Mighty Aphrodite was good, Match Point was great. Deconstructing Harry was quite good and had some great moments, but I think I'd probably pick Hollywood Ending first for sheer outlandish folly.

oops. Forgot Scoop. Not bad.

Got really bad reviews, but I enjoyed it as well.

wiru

Reaction score
Re: late Woody Allen, Sweet and Lowdown must be the most overlooked/underrated film of his from the post-mid 90s. Vicky Christina Barcelona and Match Point are the only other legitimately good ones. The rest, depends on how much you enjoy Woody Allen. Most have an entertaining scene or two but not really stand out.

howbah

Reaction score
BANANAS

TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN

WHAT'S UP, TIGER LILY?

THOSE are THE Woody Allen movies.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Inspired by other threaks I dug out some old Allen movies (I have two that I know of). I rewatched Manhattan, which remains my favorite. Hannah and Her Sisters is close. I put both ahead of Annie Hall, though I like the latter. I stopped seing his new movies a long time ago. Mostly this thread is for you to tell me which ones to rent. Have there been any good ones since the mid-'90s, when I lost interest? Deconstructing Harry is supposed to be good, so I hear.
"Love and Death" is the masterpiece of his 70s comedies run. This you must see.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. "Husbands and Wives" (1992) is very well done and entertaining, although the hand held camera shots are a bit difficult to watch. "Wild Man Blues" (1997) is a documentary on Woody and his tour playing clarinet in a New Orleans jazz band. His sister is the director, so we get an unprecedented look into the life of a really, really neurotic guy. It's great - entertaining and fascinating.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DukesofStratosphear
Yeah, Husbands and Wives is pretty good.
Originally Posted by willpower
"Love and Death" is the masterpiece of his 70s comedies run. This you must see.
Only 2 movies of his that I can tolerate. He has made a ton of mediocre films for a "famous" director

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
Only 2 movies of his that I can tolerate. He has made a ton of mediocre films for a "famous" director

In fairness, he's made about two of them a year since the late '60s. I wonder what he'd be capable of if he'd just slow down a bit.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No votes for celebrity? Not my favorite but still decent.

Love amd death has some hilarious scenes, as does a midsummers's night. I loved the professor in the latter.

Recently, i enjoyed Whatever Works. Match Point was pretty great. Vicky Christina..

Deconstructing Harry is awesome btw. Cant believe you havent seen that...

There are knly a couple woody films i dont like and ive seen almost every single one. Zelig was his worst imo. Scoop was lame.

Manhattan is definitely my favorite overall.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purple Rose of Cairo is wonderful.

So is Cassandra's Dream if you want dark, but watch Match Point first.

Scoop is awful, and Whatever works is only a bit better.

I love Curse of the Jade Scorpion but am the only one in the world who does.

SD1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit
I love Curse of the Jade Scorpion but am the only one in the world who does.

x2.

Broadway Danny Rose is my personal favorite.

"Might I just interject one concept at this juncture?"

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Midnight in Paris was cute. Very entertaining. I liked it a lot, but then again I resonate very well with Allen. I pretty much enjoy all of his movies, whether they are amazing, or mediocre. Marion Cotillard is such a babe.

Ivar

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Zelig. Great, great film.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a single mention of Sleeper? Wow. For whatever reason I always watch that if it's on.

Match Point is amazing, one of the better films in the last decade IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads