• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wilfred's Tailor

new obsession

Reaction score
Justy dropped a few things off at Wilfred's, which, by the way, has apparently moved to 20 West 23rd Street (I was never at the old location). I must say, I am pleased compared to Peppino, whom I have used a few times in the past. Much nicer shop, not that I care much about that, but also a much nicer guy, which I do care about. He took the time to ask questions and help me decide what I wanted. I have a feeling the result will be better than Peppino, who took in the seat and legs of my suit trousers to the point that they went from slightly large to "I can't put a handkerchief in my back pocket" tight. (Which I has not requested by the way. I later had him fix them, but they are still the most snug trousers I own.)

Two things I liked there. 1) I felt more like I was at Chan again, and less like the dry cleaners (which is how I felt at Peppino). 2) The prices are posted inside the dressing room, so you can have your sticker shock before you have the work done, not as they are writing it up. [Plus he is around the corner from CEGO, so now I have no excuse but to stop in and finally get my shirt made when I pick these up.] [Hell, I think Mr. Ned is down there too, maybe I'll make it a trifecta.]

I noticed that he has several fabric bolts in the shop, and asked the woman working the cashier if they do much custom work, to which she replied, of course, "yes, a lot." When asked, she told me prices start as $1300. Has anyone tried them for this?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What does Wilfred charge for, say, shortening the sleeves on a suit? I assume it's a cash-only operation?

TIA

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't used Wilfred for custom work, only for alterations, and I've been happy with them. They've done a good job on my garments (and my wife's), and have refused to take on jobs they didn't think could be done right. And the atmosphere is very pleasant. The only catch, and the reason I'm using Cardelino on Broadway btwn 22nd and 23rd for most alterations, is the price. It's on the high end, and for simple alterations, it's not worth it to me.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
What does Wilfred charge for, say, shortening the sleeves on a suit? I assume it's a cash-only operation?

TIA

Wilfred takes cards. It's certainly not a hole in the wall. I think they quoted me $40 or $45 for lengthening sleeves - see note above.

new obsession

Reaction score
They take cards. Although they said the machine was out today. He charges $60 to take them up from the shoulder, according to my receipt. Not sure how this compares, as I have never had it done from the shoulder before. But I will say, that I was willing to leave them to forgo the extra cost given that the suit already had working holes, and the difference was going to be 1/2 inch, and he responded, "No problem, we just do it from the top, but we can leave it, I don't mind. If you like them longer we can leave it." Obviously, I do not like them longer. As a matter of fact, I am usually the guy tugging his shirt sleeves down.
mad.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also like the atmospere @ Wilfred's. If you happen to visit when the primary fitter, Ramon, is on one of his long vacations you may even be fitted by Wilfred himself. Otherwise, to see Wilfred you have to make an appointment. They're also good about 'do-overs' (pants come back just a shade too long; jacket sleeve not-quite-right, etc.) - I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, as I've had a fair # of them....

They take cards & deliver. If you're picking up, definitely call before heading over - in my experience things often take a few days longer than originally scheduled...

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
the suit already had working holes, and the difference was going to be 1/2 inch, Obviously, I do not like them longer.
You could always just peel the cuffs back a bit, like Mr. Niven
tounge.gif

Niven20David_01.jpg

new obsession

Reaction score
They deliver? Don't tell me that, then I will never get down to see Carl.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Having the sleeves taken up from the shoulder seems scary. Let us know how that turns out.

Buster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
They're also good about 'do-overs' (pants come back just a shade too long; jacket sleeve not-quite-right, etc.) - I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, as I've had a fair # of them....
I had exactly the same problem with them: almost always I had to visit them several times for the same garment alteration: shortened one sleeve too much, left the legs too full, etc. The end result is always good, and they never try to persuade you that "that's the way it should be". But at their price point - one should expect more than that.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Having the sleeves taken up from the shoulder seems scary. Let us know how that turns out.

I'm not too worried because I "didn't pay alot for that muffler" $185 cream cotton suit from CT sale. Also, I have heard legend of this being a fairly common practice. But I will let you know the outcome.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
I'm not too worried because I "didn't pay alot for that muffler" $185 cream cotton suit from CT sale. Also, I have heard legend of this being a fairly common practice. But I will let you know the outcome.

Well, what was the outcome? Or are you still waiting?
sly.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have two jackets currently at Wilfreds. Sleeve shortening on both with working button holes. $80 each jacket. I'll pick them up on Monday and report back with pics. BTW, no one has mentioned the young girl (18-20ish) that works the front (Wilfred's daughter??) with the beautiful, huge
hoo-hahs
inlove.gif

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used Wilfred in the past. I find the prices ridiculous. The work, so far, has held up and seems to be pretty high quality. That being said, I probably wouldn't use them again for my next suit just because of the ridiculous prices.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
I've used Wilfred in the past. I find the prices ridiculous. The work, so far, has held up and seems to be pretty high quality. That being said, I probably wouldn't use them again for my next suit just because of the ridiculous prices.

So, where would you go? I've got a suit needs altering! And I don't want it mest up...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads