1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wilfred's Tailor

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by new obsession, Jul 24, 2006.

1. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

But more expensive than Peppino...

2. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

But more expensive than Peppino...

True. Not cheap, about $140/suit with work on neck, sides, sleeves, cuffs and buttons for braces.

3. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Well-Known Member

Andrew, have you tried Bhambi? I think they're the best with price to match. But their hand-stitched button hole is very reasonably priced at $10/hole, even Borrelli recommends them.

4. aportnoy

Andrew, have you tried Bhambi? I think they're the best with price to match. But their hand-stitched button hole is very reasonably priced at $10/hole, even Borrelli recommends them.

I haven't VR, but I will. Wilfredo's was very easy to get to from my office. Where is Bhambi located?

5. von Rothbart

I haven't VR, but I will. Wilfredo's was very easy to get to from my office. Where is Bhambi located?

Right next to Borrelli closer to 5th Ave. in an old office building.

6. aportnoy

Right next to Borrelli closer to 5th Ave. in an old office building.

About equidistant from my office as Wilfredo's, just the opposite direction. Thanks, I'll have to give them a try next.

7. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

I've tried all three. Wilfreds is undoubtedly best, with Bhambi second (take price into consideration and they are third) and Peppino's second. I base my finding on having all three do similar jacket work for me. Peppino can be sloppy and Bhambi has good attention to detail but the price is very high (someone forgot to tell them that they are NOT Borrelli, they are just recommended by them) and everytime I was there they attempted to sell me on their shirt/suit offerings. Also, if you happen to be there for alterations and a suit customer walks in after you, expect to be asked to wait until after the suit guy.

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

I've tried all three. Wilfreds is undoubtedly best, with Bhambi second (take price into consideration and they are third) and Peppino's second. I base my finding on having all three do similar jacket work for me. Peppino can be sloppy and Bhambi has good attention to detail but the price is very high (someone forgot to tell them that they are NOT Borrelli, they are just recommended by them) and everytime I was there they attempted to sell me on their shirt/suit offerings. Also, if you happen to be there for alterations and a suit customer walks in after you, expect to be asked to wait until after the suit guy.
    I think Bhambi's is a clear third of those three. I used to have all my work done by them until I was turned on to Peppino.

First, Bhambi's is much more expensive than Peppino. When I have had a number of pants done by them, it was $20 to hem and $20 to pinch the waist in a little. That's too much IMO.
    Second, they do try to sell you on their MTM/bespoke offerings which, though they may be ok construction, do nothing for me in terms of styling. The stuff on the manequins looks like it's from 1986.
    Third, I took them a great Paul Stuart suit and they did overlapping cuff buttons without my asking and then said, "Oh, I thought it was a Zegna." That's not satisfactory.

9. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

Don't forget the checkout bonus at Wilfred's! [​IMG]

10. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

I've tried Wilfred and Cardelino, and for the moment I'm sticking with Cardelino on attitude and price. Brought another jacket into Cardelino for sleeve-shortening this week.

11. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Don't forget the checkout bonus at Wilfred's! [​IMG]

Yes, Wilfred's has a talented girl working the checkout.[​IMG]

12. billiebob

billiebob Well-Known Member

Time for an alterations rant!

That tailors can remain popular while making the kind of mistakes they make on a daily basis amazes me. I am convinced this is due to nonexistant note-taking and poor pinning or marking. I mean, they stick a pin or make a little chalk line here and there, then throw the suit onto a pile for someone else to interpret.

I've had 6 or so suits and sportcoats altered in the past year, and only 1 was completed correctly on the first try. It was J. Press, actually. It was done perfectly in 3 days.

Of the issues I've had, most are less serious than others have reported, but coming back 3 times gets tedious.

-"Forgot" to shorten sleeves, but remembered to lower the collar
    -One sleeve 0.5" longer than the other.
    -Sewn up back vent when this is not requested.
    -lengthened sleeves when I wanted them shortened.
    -took in pants so much that they became too long, as I couldn't pull them up anymore
    -general sloppiness like sewing sleeve buttons on through the sleeve liner, and not taking in the liner, etc.

Next one I'll try is Cardelino for my "nitro" Gianluca.

13. von Rothbart

-"Forgot" to shorten sleeves, but remembered to lower the collar
    -One sleeve 0.5" longer than the other.
    -Sewn up back vent when this is not requested.
    -lengthened sleeves when I wanted them shortened.
    -took in pants so much that they became too long, as I couldn't pull them up anymore
    -general sloppiness like sewing sleeve buttons on through the sleeve liner, and not taking in the liner, etc.

Which tailor(s) committed the offences you just cited?

14. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Sewing up back vent when not requested is bad news.

15. Quirk

Quirk Well-Known Member

Yes, Wilfred's has a talented girl working the checkout.[​IMG]

Christ, people -- God made cellphone cameras for a reason.

16. billiebob

billiebob Well-Known Member

My issues were a compilation of experiences from several tailors. A couple of them I still use, and Peppino takes in jackets very well, so I don't want to name names. It's the luck of the draw on any given job which bothers me.

17. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

I recently had Peppino do some shirts too. To take in the body and shorten the sleeves was $28 I think. The body was done really well. The reattachment of the cuffs on the shirts was a little sloppy IMO.