• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do restaurants serve bread..?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
I always thought it was the french who did not eat a meal without bread.

They don't - bread is present at every meal from breakfast to dinner, at home and restaurants

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because the cheap people who don't want to spend money on an appetizer whine constantly for bread until they go through three baskets of the stuff.

These are usually the same people that complain that their main course dish is too small because it could not feed a family of four. If they happen to order an appetizer they complain it's "so tiny".

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bouji
It seems like this is expected and never questioned.

In certain cases I can see the reason,

Central/South Asian cuisine- Unless you're eating rice, that is what the food is eaten with; unlike western cuisine, in these cuisines its used 'to scoop it up', not accompany.
Italian cuisine - If you don't have a 'primi' then the meal can lack carbs and not be filling.

As far as French/British/American/Spanish/German/Fusion/Haute/whatever cuisine goes, I really cannot understand the concept of bread...

Many countries foods, especially western ones, take a long time to prepare. The bread is there to give you something to eat while you wait.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've never had a problem not being able to finish my meal because I've eaten a loaf of bread beforehand.
smile.gif
Disturbingly enough, I love the bread at the Outback. I am going there on Monday for someone's birthday and I just thought about the bread. And a bloomin onion.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They serve bread because customers expect them to.

Hany

Reaction score
I'll repeat myself: they serve bread so that you don't eat the "heavier" foods on an empty stomach.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nobody mentioned that bread is good - I love good bread, and it is a ***** to make at home, and most of us are too busy to buy it fresh every day. so getting good bread at a resteraunt is a good thing

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
from a customer's perspective, i love the offer of free bread to nibble on before the meal.

but from the business's perspective, it doesnt really make sense. dont you want them to order appetizers and desserts? bread just fills and will lessen the sales.

I think Tarmac more or less hit it on the head in an earlier post.

Originally Posted by Tarmac
In America it has basically turned into something cheap which the customer can still appreciate. Customer's think of it as a free appetizer while the restaurant paid less than 35c per table for it. It reduces the complaint of "dagummit Ennis, this place has small portions!"

It typically doesn't reduce how much the table orders because patrons order while still hungry, or even before the bread arrives in many cases. And you know how Murricans love to take **** home in a bag because "dagummit we are so full rot now!"

bassmanpatsfan18

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bouji
As far as I know, I cannot say that many Italians eat potatoes.
Many good gnocchi as well as other varieties of pasta are made with potatoes. edit: should have kept reading...sorry.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With Romanian cuisine, bread is served with every meal, it is a staple, nothing goes without it. Romanian food is somewhat poverish, a lot of the meals are inexpensive and made to simply fill you up, such as mamaliga. Thai food doesn't go with bread, last Thai restaurant I went to didn't have bread on the menu and they mentioned to my dad (who asked for it) that it is not part of the cuisine.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hany
I'll repeat myself: they serve bread so that you don't eat the "heavier" foods on an empty stomach.

Right. I will eat the bread if I'm hungry so I don't rush through the food I'm really there to enjoy. I don't fill up on the bread, and it doesn't reduce my enjoyment of the meal.

nandanamkgn

Reaction score
According to my experience alwayas bread is not served in a restaurant before the meal. If the meal is highly starchy like sandwich, pasta, rice etc mostly bread is not served. Serving bread before the meal is mainly an Europian style. But I do'nt know where this is really originated. But when the food which is ordered by the person is lack of starch, bread is served to add carbohytrate to the meal. Because carbohytrate is the main resource people can get energy.............

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads