• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping in Buenos Aires:

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
obelisco14dx.jpg
Often called the Paris of South America, this metropolitan city, which with its greater suburban areas is home to roughly 1/3 of the entire Argentine population, is truly a city-dwellers paradise on the far side of the world. With its cobblestone streets, relaxed attitude and never ending day/night life, innumerable restaurants and vast amounts of French and Spanish inspired architecture will delight and astonish you in this surprising jewel. I will recommend some restaurants that I think particularly stand out, but BA is a city where one need to discover his/her own path, and that means plenty of walking and trying different restaurants, shops, and sites of attraction at a whim, its part of the charm of both the city and of bring a tourist. Mainstream shopping is partly located in a few malls, with the rest located in shops along the city's streets. Alto Palermo (Av. Santa Fe 3400 & Salguero, Subway station Bulnes): Christian Dior Adidas Ferrari (yeah, it's a store that only carries Ferrari gear, funny I've only seen 5 Ferraris ever in Argentina, I must see like at least 10 every week in Boca but we don't have a Ferrari store...but I digress) Freddo (really good ice cream, they are on every street corner, the Starbucks of Argentina, but they serve ice-cream instead of coffee, oh yeah "˜crema americana' is vanilla, "˜Vanilla' named flavor tastes differently than what is found in the USA) Havanna (you must try an alfajor or 50) Kill (they have women's clothes, but I just love the name
smile.gif
) Lacoste Levi's New Man Puma TGI Friday's (too bad we don't have any of these in the USA)
calleflorida28pm.jpg
Calle Florida Shopping (starts roughly at Plaza San Martin ends at Av. Corrientes): A pedestrian thoroughfare flanked by stores of all types, from clothing to jewelry, to leather goods, to book shops. Good local leather goods can be purchased here, just be sure to negotiate a good price. Galerias Pacifico ( Florida & Av. Córdoba):
galeriaspacifico32mt.jpg
(From the malls website) The holy grail of shopping malls in BA; centrally located a few blocks away from Av. 9 de Julio and El Obelisco. The center of the mall features a fountain intersected by four corridors, which feature hand painted ceilings a la renaissance fresco: Adidas Casa Lopez (leather goods) Levi's Nike Rossi & Caruso (probably the best overall multi-location leather goods company in Argentina) Polo Ralph Lauren (decent selection of RLPL, including NOS T&A made RLPL shirts.) Tommy Hilfiger (yeah, I know, but there aren't that many American brands I can mention...) Timberland Wrangler Recoleta (and Barrio Norte which runs alongside it):
larecolatastreet6xv.jpg
(got image from the web, copyright info is on the picture) Home of the Cementerio de la Recoleta, famous as the final resting place of Evita Peron (and the smell coming from the other side of the wall while walking alongside it, something the tour books seem to forget to mention), El Centro Cultural Recoleta museum, El Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes (Av. del Libertador 1473). The Law school of the University of BA is also nearby, so is the National Library. Patio Bullrich (Posadas 1245, Libertador 750): Yet another mall, off the top of my head I can't recall the stores they have. As far as malls go in BA, it is up there, fairly expensive (according to my friend the most expensive in BA). Libertador is considered the most expensive street (although Avenida Alvear might actually win that title). Avenida Alvear (starts at Av. Alvear & Callao):
avalvearrlpolo40zr.jpg
(anyone recognize the store on the corner? How about the one after it?) The Madison Ave / 5th Ave of BA, there is a turn of the century turned into RL Flagship store, a Zegna store, a few stores that carry several Italian brands (Brioni, Loro Piana etc...), Armani, Montblanc, Cartier, Louis Vuitton, plus high end jewelry / watch stores, art dealers and of course the renowned Hotel Alvear Palace. You will also see several embassies whilst walking on Alvear. Keep on walking on Alvear till you get to Libertad and you will find yourself in Plaza Carlos Pellegrini, one of the city's most famous and beautiful parks. My favorite CafÃ
00a9.png
in BA: La Biela (Av. Quintana 600):
recoletalabiela57xh.jpg
Last time was in BA I went there on three separate occasions, once in the morning for breakfast, once in the afternoon for a quick tide-me-over sandwich (dinner is eaten very late in BA, usually starts at 10:00 or 11:00 pm), and at 1:00 am with a friend of mine. Each time it was a special experience on all its own. It costs a bit more to have your drinks served outside than inside; looks like the economic recovery is on the way. When outside look at the massive tree, with its 7 meters in diameter, it was planted in 1878 and grows there still. This cafÃ
00a9.png
is a must go to in BA. For amazing Pizza you must order from Los Maestros Pizza (Recoleta: Paraná 1249 & Barrio Norte: Uriburu 1305 {side note, since its close to one of my family members houses, I always order from the Uriburu locale}) and you must, MUST try an empanada. In my opinion they have hands down the best empanadas in BA. Recoleta is full of restaurants (yes, it is a tourist trap, but with the 3:1 exchange rate, prices are still very, very inexpensive), although many stores sell in US $.  Architecturally beautiful walk: Av. Callao:
callao63th.jpg
(See the Freddo ice cream in the corner? they are everywhere. Coincidently, a family member of mine lives right on this very street block; you should see the view from the top looking down at the street and the view looking at the tops of the French-styled buildings). For a run down of museums, check out: www.museos.buenosaires.gov.ar And as well, while in season, you can't miss an opera or ballet at: Teatro Colón (Libertad 621), check out the pretty impressive collection of musical instruments in the lobby (several Stradivarius' as well). Puerto Madero:
puertomadero7ex.jpg
(please, get out of the shot, um, officer...)
puertomaderobridge4sv.jpg
The newly renovated port, home to a huge multi-towered high rise, upscale restaurants, and several high-class hotels. Puerto Madero's restaurants are often fully booked, so reservations are a good idea. Often times they have at least one person that speaks English, which will facilitate your menu selections. La Caballeriza: steakhouse, more in the Chilean than Argentinean vain, but still excellent (Av. Alicia M. de Justo 580). La Parolaccia TrattorÃa (Av. Alicia M. de Justo 1052): by far one of the best Italian restaurants on the city, reserve a table on either the street or port side and enjoy a view with your meal. Ok, really, really, REALLY important detail regarding clothing in Argentina. If it has a little stamp-like ticket attached to it, then its imported from another country not inside the trade zone (several South American countries, including Brazil, Chile, etc...). This is good for noticing the quality of products, especially Lacoste. The many Argentine-made items from known manufacturers are not the same quality as the ones sold in the USA. I don't think they are necessarily bad, but definitely not the same quality. Certain Argentine-made items are well made however, just look for certain quality traits (I should not have to explain on THIS forum what that means). As well, when you see the "˜$' sign it means Pesos. When you see "˜US $' it means American dollars. Regarding getting the tax back at the airport on your return trip, I wish you good luck, because you have to fill who knows how many forms and what you get back is measly, although if you spend obscene amounts while in BA, then the monies returned from tax might be worth the inconvenience. I will edit this as I think of new things, but in the mean time, you have a pretty good primer to enjoy your Buenos Aires vacation.
baobeliscointhedistance1cw.jpg
(got image from the web, copyright info is on the picture) Jon.

Jill

Reaction score
GREAT post, imageWIS... as if I needed more encouragement to travel abroad. Thanx for putting together that wonderful resource guide for 1st timers. I think I'll print it out for future reference.

I have a number of friends and acquaintances there from a previous life, but have never been. Thx again.

4Mica

Reaction score
Yo soy de River, cantar la cancion. Millionario campeon, millionario campeon.

JohnMS

Reaction score
Image,

I thought that's what you meant (by the way, great restraint on your part).  I'm not Argentine, but lived down there for a few years.  Boy, I still remember being a teen and getting on a bus with fans going to a River-Boca game.  What a site.

John

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads