• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people choose to avoid alcohol other than medical reasons?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not anti-drinking, I just barely do it (part being cheap, part not enjoying it). Whenever I do drink I only drink to a buzz and stop until it clears, I've never been and don't plan on getting drunk to the point where I lose my ability to make coherent decisions; loss of control scares me. Plus every kid that drinks where I live is marsupialed and thinks they're badass for drinking until they pass out/puke and act like complete douches when they are (they also drink the cheapest **** ever, kokanee is their goto). That said, the occasional drink doesn't really worry me so I'm okay with it.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alcohol can affect the skin. Even in reasonable amounts, it might lead to acne. However, it's doubtful that anyone avoids alcohol for such reasons.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Plus every kid that drinks where I live is marsupialed and thinks they're badass for drinking until they pass out/puke and act like complete douches when they are (they also drink the cheapest **** ever, kokanee is their goto).

Where is Kokanee the go-to? There are much cheaper beers in Western Canada.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Alcohol can affect the skin. Even in reasonable amounts, it might lead to acne. However, it's doubtful that anyone avoids alcohol for such reasons.

so can a lot of foods.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PolePosition
I don't drink alcohol. I've drank various alcoholic beverages on multiple occasions, so I do have experience with it. I stay away from it and avoid social situations in which the main activity is consumption of alcohol, as I find myself awfully bored when listening to half-witted drunk people attempt to converse. That being said, I have nothing against people that are responsible drinkers, I just don't like being in that type of atmosphere.

My reasons for alcohol abstinence:
1) Tastes awful. I've tried many types of liquors and I can honestly say they all taste like crap. Most of what I've tried has been agreed upon by the general public as "good" but just isn't my cup of tea.
2) I don't like any substance altering my nervous system. The only drugs I allow to enter my body are caffeine from the occasional coke or Starbucks, or ibuprofen for when I have a headache.
3) I have enough hobbies and things that burn holes in my wallet. Alcohol is one less thing I want to spend money on.
4) After working with chemicals in a laboratory on a regular basis, the last thing I want to do is put any of that crap in my body. Ethanol, the alcohol in beverages, is most certainly not something I want inside of me, after dealing with it in labs.
5) I'm a Christian, and while not being one that follows the teachings of the Bible to a T, the Bible does condemn drunkenness, so I'd rather not set myself up to fall. Gives me one less thing to worry about.

1. Some of it tastes good, some is an acquired taste. In any case, plenty of people like the way it tastes.
2. I can understand this, also you're taking this to an extreme and more on that later.
3. Makes sense
4. **** in coke and starbucks scares me a lot more than naturally derived alcohol.
5. Personal choice and belief - I guess also makes sense.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
I have a friend who suffered the loss of someone close to him due to drinking and driving. He chooses not to drink because of this. Personally, I don't have the will power or the desire to stop drinking. It seems univeristy would be a bleak affair without it.

Despot

Reaction score
Alcohol is a fuel for kick ass race cars not my body.

Oaklee

Reaction score
I'm definitely one of those guys that get mad when drunk. I've said some things to good friends that I regretted, some remembered some not. For me it's risky when I go out to drink sometimes, I might lose my cell phone, leave my cc at the bar, yell at a friend or stranger, or wake up doing all three and not remember what happened. But when it's all said and done these experiences all make good stories. Even though I'm a mad drunk, I HATE being around other mad drunks when I'm sober. So I guess its a double standard for me. I think some of my friends have stopped calling me out for drinks because I've been so abrasive when I was drunk. So with that said, I havent been to a bartop lately. But getting to your topic I have more friends that dont drink then do. The ones that dont drink are the ones that usually get red after 1 beer and alseep after 3. cheers.

kakemono

Reaction score
I am a pretty conservative Christian (
peepwall[1].gif
church of Christ) and it is my belief that consumption is wrong. I think I'll just leave it at that... knowing that a great many Christians will disagree with me - but I don't think thats an argument for this thread.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kakemono
I am a pretty conservative Christian (
peepwall[1].gif
church of Christ) and it is my belief that consumption is wrong. I think I'll just leave it at that... knowing that a great many Christians will disagree with me - but I don't think thats an argument for this thread.

Come on, jesus, wine and all that? Christian monks being responsible for some of the greatest beer, wine and liquor we have today? Wake up, man!!!

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a Christian and I am embarassed by some of the things that Christians hold to. Extremeism, generally, is dangerous.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oaklee
The ones that dont drink are the ones that usually get red after 1 beer and alseep after 3.
I am Asian, so I am this guy. I'll drink a few beers over the course of an evening once in a blue moon, but seriously, it feels like ass and makes me quiet/uninteresting.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
I am Asian, so I am this guy. I'll drink a few beers over the course of an evening once in a blue moon, but seriously, it feels like ass and makes me quiet/uninteresting.

do you think you have that asian alcohol intolerance gene?

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much my entire family is made up of alcoholics. I choose to not drink because I have no desire to make it habit forming. I used to drink pretty heavily once a week, but now? Not so much. I drink wine on occasion with my meal and use liquor to flavor some desserts. It's just something I'm not really into. The only beer I like is PBR, maybe High Life, occasionally a guiness or something along those lines, but they make me very sleepy and foggy-brained. Vodka gives me a clear "drunk", so when I drink that tends to be it. Browns make me feel AWESOME with a tint of aggression, but I always vomit. Always. So, I still with a single glass of wine, or a couple shots of vodka when I drink (no more than twice a week) and I'm okay.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
Pretty much my entire family is made up of alcoholics. I choose to not drink because I have no desire to make it habit forming. I used to drink pretty heavily once a week, but now? Not so much. I drink wine on occasion with my meal and use liquor to flavor some desserts. It's just something I'm not really into. The only beer I like is PBR, maybe High Life, occasionally a guiness or something along those lines, but they make me very sleepy and foggy-brained. Vodka gives me a clear "drunk", so when I drink that tends to be it. Browns make me feel AWESOME with a tint of aggression, but I always vomit. Always. So, I still with a single glass of wine, or a couple shots of vodka when I drink (no more than twice a week) and I'm okay.

HIPSTER!!!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads