• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unofficial Detroit Thread

leapyourbar

Reaction score
I have been tempted to start this thread for like a decade now, but I’ve been reluctant to do so…until the Belgian Shoes thread was (very temporarily) hijacked by a discussion of all things Detroit. Alas, I didn’t realize there were more than a few people from and/or with connections to Detroit/Michigan, so here we are. I also missed the recent Sid Mashburn trunk show at Claymore Shop (the 100 Hands trunk show was something I begged them to do for quite some time, and in my estimation, was also very poorly advertised), so I’m hoping that this thread will serve as a hub for any happenings trunk-show related, since they certainly can feel word-of-mouth at times.

Sure, Detroit (and Michigan) is certainly not a hotbed for all-things sartorial (if we can look past the fake use of the word “bespoke” from the run-of-the-mill operations in the local market currently) I am bull-ish that there are far more people interested in quality classic menswear in this area of the world, if we dig a bit deeper. Hopefully this thread is a step toward that.

Please invite anyone you think would benefit from this thread to join the discussion -- I would love to organize a get-together if the thread takes off and enough people are interested.

On a side note: I am also hoping to launch a project this year that I hope will assist in having some of the more sought-out bespoke and made-to-measure makers stop here or perhaps Chicago. So far, I’ve pitched the idea to Pino Luciano of Orazio Luciano, Salva Ambrosi, Luca Avitabile, and Luigi Solito, who have all demonstrated an interest in doing a trunk show here, provided there is enough interest. I am not so sure how much interest there is in Michigan specifically, but perhaps there is enough interest in the Midwest, generally, to sustain enough business for a regular stop. The Midwest deserves nice things, and I would love to not have to go to abroad to have a suit made, lol. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you are interested!

1672847104805.png

1672847034597.png

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rip-hamilton--04-pistons-would-beat-the-bad-boy-pistons-in-their-prime.jpg

krudsma

Reaction score
I live in Chicago but I'm from Ann Arbor originally and my girlfriend is from Dearborn, so we're back in Michigan several times a year. I've always wanted to venture into Detroit more but I don't have a good sense of what's out there. Will be following this thread, thanks for starting it!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm live in NYC and actually have zero ties to Detroit. However, my basketball team is the Pistons and my college football team is Michigan(and USC.)

(Baseball > Mets. Hockey > Islanders. College basketball > Depaul & Louisville. NFL > Raiders.)

leapyourbar

Reaction score
I'm live in NYC and actually have zero ties to Detroit. However, my basketball team is the Pistons and my college football team is Michigan(and USC.)

(Baseball > Mets. Hockey > Islanders. College basketball > Depaul & Louisville. NFL > Raiders.)

Glad to have you -- anecdotally, I played summer hockey with Matt Martin (who I know is a fan favorite!).

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not originally from MI but have lived in Ann Arbor since 2009. Some really interesting stuff happening in/around Detroit -- great restaurants.

I know that Divij Bespoke comes through SE Michigan at least once a year -- missed them the last time they were here, unfortunately. May be worth asking them when they plan to return.

Today Clothing in Ann Arbor is very good for SWD (A Kind of Guise, Kapital, Engineered Garments, Auralee, Monitaly, Lady White, Orslow etc) but there are no good CM options in A2 AFAIK.

@jaaz16 is here in A2 as well I think. @Michigan Planner and I think @PhilKenSebben are also in the area

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

jaaz16

Reaction score
Yup, I've been here in Ann Arbor for the last few years. It's actually why I ultimately joined Styleforum to talk about clothes on the internet: I finally have a big boy job so I can afford new clothes, but have been relegated to mostly online shopping given the local options.

That said, Today Clothing is awesome. I try to stop in at least a couple times a season. Eric, the owner, is a great dude and the staff are awesome. They do a pretty good job, all things considered, balancing their various clientele (it is a college town, after all). You won't find any true CM stuff there but there are often crossover type pieces and basics like Lady White Co.

FPB

Reaction score
I'm in Bloomfield, and I went to school at U of M. Then (in Ann Arbor), there a couple of small independent shops that had decent menswear, but my memory is foggy. Never heard of Today Clothing. Unfortunately, there's next to nothing in SE MI so I do a lot of online shopping. I have a distant relative that works at Claymore; perhaps it's time to stop in. Please keep this thread alive if anything interesting pops up (stores, trunk shows, etc).

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
merlin_54238289.jpg

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was born in Royal Oak, moved out of state at 2 weeks of age, and never came back.
But...

Go Wings

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was born in Royal Oak, moved out of state at 2 weeks of age, and never came back.
But...

Go Wings

Geez! Look who found this thread!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Motown%20museum_Meredith_Kevin%20Miyazaki-Redux.jpg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF!

Why did you have to tag @PhilKenSebben & @Michigan Planner ?

Thread is gonna go downhill!

giphy.gif

This is the only way to go downhill here in Detroit!

I'm in Bloomfield, and I went to school at U of M. Then (in Ann Arbor), there a couple of small independent shops that had decent menswear, but my memory is foggy. Never heard of Today Clothing. Unfortunately, there's next to nothing in SE MI so I do a lot of online shopping. I have a distant relative that works at Claymore; perhaps it's time to stop in. Please keep this thread alive if anything interesting pops up (stores, trunk shows, etc).

Another Bloomfieldian in the house! (Ithink I may have just coined that term). We’ve got at least one more Bloomfieldian in @greekgeek and that @PhilKenSebben guy is a West Bloomfieldian, for whatever that’s worth…

I believe @CPAJay1221 is also here in Metro Detroit.

And I’ll third the recommendation of Today Clothing. Awesome shop with a great selection. I don’t go to Ann Arbor as often as I used to but I’m usually out there for an Econ conference once each fall and once each spring and always try to make it into Today when I am in town. I’m never disappointed in their selection and am always glad to see the store still alive and kicking. I never leave there empty handed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads