1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

this is really something. thanks for the reminder... :nodding:

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Well-Known Member

It's a sport coat. I need some new shirts. Thanks for the comments.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  3. luftvier

luftvier Well-Known Member

Many of these posts should be relegated to the normal WAYWRN thread; whereas this thread should be a more curated collection, like Alfred Barnes'.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Manton has the power to do this...

5. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

im on vacation and feeling lazier than usual. Big Sur today, mmmmmmmmmmmm

6. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Well-Known Member

It would be great if Manton could edit all the photos in less than good taste with a big red X over the figures.

7. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

+1

At the very least just make it so only photos in good taste remain while others are deleted. MODS - is it possible for Manton to have administrative priveleges over this thread? Can he already since he started it (something I didn't know is possible if so)?

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

He has the power. Any of us with the DH powers can edit posts in the thread.

9. luftvier

The question is whether it's worth Marton's time to do so, which I expect it's not. Better, we should exercise self-restraint. Post over in WAYWRN instead.

10. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

i'm not home and not really that invested at the moment, in part because I am wearing t-shirts every day. When I go back to work and start wearing ties again no doubt my interest level will rise

11. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

The fact that this happens makes me feel better about the world for some reason.

12. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

I think there's enough commentary on everything that's been posted that you can tell when something is considered in poor taste. But I'll leave it up to Manton what he wants to do obviously.

13. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

alright, i was kidding. this pharagraph was the most pretentious bullshit, i have ever read on the whole internet. substitute the names. but yeah, if you guys need this. I'm ok. period.

14. luftvier

I think Alfred Barnes was a pretentious asshole too, so it's fitting. :happy:

15. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

high five, didn't know him, didn't google him hence my pleasure. cheers.

16. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Ah, Big Sur. Stopping by here or here by any chance?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  17. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

There are other "curated" threads around. Gdl's for example. They represent personal viewpoints on what are the best fits they have seen that day/week/whatever.

The point of this thread, as I understand it, is to presuppose that there is such a thing as good taste, and it is possible for outfits to be in bad taste. WAYWRN is very open to anyone, and there isn't much criticism. There's a significant number of posters that have the view of "here's what I wore today and I like it, if you don't like it, oh well, we just have different tastes." This thread is meant as a refuge for those who believe there is good and bad in the world of clothing, and that these views are not personal, but in some sense universal. If you don't "get it", or "have a different style", that's your fault for not having good taste, not the fault of others for being closed-minded. This doesn't mean that pics in bad taste will necessarily be deleted, but if you post you have to be willing to get pilloried for your sins, and then don't come back posting the same type of things over and over again waiting for opinions to change.

Again, this thread is not a place to debate the assumptions made by this thread, as stated above. By posting, you're basically saying you're willing to live under those assumptions while you're here. If any of this is mis-stated by me, Manton, please edit.

1 person likes this.
  18. luftvier

19. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

20. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

You need to know the back story. Barnes donated the collection to a college but with so many impossible conditions that the school spent years in litigation trying to make the bequest less onerous.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012