• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Tie Ball - how to look unique without going overboard?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was up at Balliol a long time ago (1963-5), I don't recall a single white tie event--black tie, yes, but not white tie. Is the ball being held by some club on the order the Bullingdon at Oxford?

Of course, we're not talking here about sub-fusc, but that wouldn't be worn to a ball.

It is pleasantly surprising to see the formality quotient at the ancient universities actually rising, it would seem.

Last edited:

Doomdoom

Reaction score
Going to Oxford or Cambridge is not that special really, you don't have to try and spare our sensibilities. There are several alumni of both universities on the forum. Be proud.

I repeat that if you can make that listed outfit fit properly, you will look very smart indeed. No need for anything more.
Thanks for making that point clear! I'm being convinced to go more uniform.

When I was up at Balliol a long time ago (1963-5), I don't recall a single white tie event--black tie, yes, but not white tie. Is the ball being held by some club on the order the Bullingdon at Oxford?

Of course, we're not talking here about sub-fusc, but that wouldn't be worn to a ball.

It is pleasantly surprising to see the formality quotient at the ancient universities actually rising, it would seem.
Luckily not a Bullingdon Club event! Chobochobo is absolutely correct -- it's a commemoration ball (much more expensive than the normal, black tie, balls, and largely ignored by students that are not about to leave).

Sadly it seems you missed out on the big Balliol commemoration ball last year ( http://www.balliol.ox.ac.uk/events/2012/june/21/balliol-750th-commemoration-ball ), but - if you're feeling nostalgic - I'm sure Balliol will be holding another in the coming couple of years!
Edit: maybe not, actually, according to Wikipedia

The Commemoration Ball is White Tie.

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sadly it seems you missed out on the big Balliol commemoration ball last year ( http://www.balliol.ox.ac.uk/events/2012/june/21/balliol-750th-commemoration-ball ), but - if you're feeling nostalgic - I'm sure Balliol will be holding another in the coming couple of years!
Edit: maybe not, actually, according to Wikipedia

Oh I was well aware of the 750th anniversary event last year. This winter Balliol held a Gaudy for old members of my era. However, few fellows I liked and none of my closest friends were going to attend, so I passed on that one. I doubt if I shall ever revisit Oxford. I loathe travelling, especially by air, and I think I would rather keep Oxford in my memory the way it was 50 years ago.

Suit of Nettles

Reaction score
I doubt if I shall ever revisit Oxford. I loathe travelling, especially by air, and I think I would rather keep Oxford in my memory the way it was 50 years ago.

A good plan, I fear.

This does not seem to be a case of the Arcadian Fallacy; colleges really are being corroded from within and without. There is a certain kind of administrivial mind that looks at a great academic institution -- or even merely a quietly decent one -- and sees an undeveloped property ripe for exploitation.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I reconnected with Balliol via the magic of the Net not too many years ago after having been a "lost" member for decades. From the photos I see, the students there now, with all the jeans and hoodies and innumerable young women, resemble the student body of the University of California, Irvine, much more than the Balliol and Oxford I remember.

NickCarraway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm worried that I'll look too much like all the other ball-goers

At a white tie event, the goal of the gentleman is to look like all the other ball-goers. Or at least like the properly-attired ones.

Quote:

1. Braces. To paraphrase Mick Jagger, you don't want your trousers to fall down, now do ya? The Albert Thurston white moire is a fine choice, if none are provided by Moss Bros.
  2. White lambskin or kidskin gloves. To be worn at all times save for the meal. Their purpose is to protect the lady's dress.

The hank is optional; personally I eschew it in order to maintain a symmetrical look, but you seem quite fond of the idea so I won't try to dissuade you.

Quote:
Stick with your style. Navigating an event in a tailcoat is a new sartorial experience in itself; no need to add an additional level of unfamiliarity.

Quote:
The jabot is acceptable when paired with a powdered wig.

Quote:
Yes. Get remeasured.

Last edited:

blackbowtie

Reaction score

1. Braces.  To paraphrase Mick Jagger, you don't want your trousers to fall down, now do ya?  The Albert Thurston white moire is a fine choice, if none are provided by Moss Bros.
  2. White lambskin or kidskin gloves.  To be worn at all times save for the meal.  Their purpose is to protect the lady's dress.

The hank is optional; personally I eschew it in order to maintain a symmetrical look, but you seem quite fond of the idea so I won't try to dissuade you.

Stick with your style.  Navigating an event in a tailcoat is a new sartorial experience in itself; no need to add an additional level of unfamiliarity.

The jabot is acceptable when paired with a powdered wig.

Yes.  Get remeasured.

I agree with all of this except the part on gloves. I've been to a few white tie events and gloves are more the exception rather than the norm, even in Vienna where a white tie tradition is alive and well. If you have a pair lying around and want to give it a go, then by all means do, but otherwise, I would say not to sweat it. I only wear my white kidskin gloves in the winter on the way to the ball, and take them off once I'm inside, and they stay off even when I'm dancing. I'm sure some people disapprove but I think this is not such a big faux pas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics