• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Tie Ball - how to look unique without going overboard?

Doomdoom

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got an Oxbridge White Tie ball coming up soon and had to sort my white tie out last-minute, so I'm worried that I'll look too much like all the other ball-goers. I'd be really grateful if you could give me ideas and critique my ideas/outfit listed below!

So I went with a Moss Bros package that consists of:
- Regent evening tailcoat
- Regent Marcella vest/waistcoat
- Regent dress trousers
- Marcella wing dress shirt
- White Marcella bow tie **
- White satin hank **
- Stud package

So, firstly, does the above look complete (aside from shoes and cufflinks), and to be 'proper' white tie?

Secondly, my thoughts on adjustments/additions:
- Should I get a top hat? Not my style to wear any sort of hat in any situation, but this could be the "classy" exception!

- I'm quite set on getting my own pocket square, most likely lightly-patterned and crimson. I've read a lot of 'purists' denouncing anything other than white/cream but I think something a bit more bold would be more "me". Unless you guys think it should definitely be avoided for some reason...

- [Edit: definitely going with white bow tie, unless a white jabot is acceptable]

- Is there anything else relatively cheap/easy I can do to make sure I don't look under-dressed or too similar to all the other Moss Bros rentals?

Thank you very much in advance!

D

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't change the color of the bow tie.

The main thing I can think of is to make sure everything fits properly - specifically, the waistcoat should not extend below the bottom of the jacket in the front. This is where I see most white tie rigs go wrong. This, of course, means that the trousers must have a sufficiently high rise.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You must be young. You haven't realized that it's not about you.

Last edited:

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Firstly, it's not Oxbridge - it's either Oxford or Cambridge.

If you can get properly fitted in the listed outfit, you'll be fine. Bow tie must be white. Save the 'classy' variations once you can do the standard stuff properly. If you don't have the confidence or nous to rock white tie as it is, you'll only look a fool if you try to 'jazz it up'.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The whole idea of white tie is that is SUPPOSED to be a uniform, with absolute minimum latitude for a personal spin. If you must put your own stamp on it, consider a red or white carnation.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you can get properly fitted in the listed outfit, you'll be fine. Bow tie must be white. Save the 'classy' variations once you can do the standard stuff properly. If you don't have the confidence or nous to rock white tie as it is, you'll only look a fool if you try to 'jazz it up'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxbridge
bigstar[1].gif

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ Seriously, no one who goes to Oxford or Cambridge refers to their university as Oxbridge.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Seriously, no one who goes to Oxford or Cambridge refers to their university as Oxbridge.

Of course not, but that is not the meaning of the word. It's not about the universities, but about common characteristics (esp. re. class and status)
From same wikipedia entry:

"Oxbridge is often used as shorthand for characteristics that the two institutions share:"

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Please. He's talking about going to a Ball, it's either an Oxford Ball or a Cambridge Ball. Actually, they're usually College Balls anyway.

Doomdoom

Reaction score
Don't change the color of the bow tie.

The main thing I can think of is to make sure everything fits properly - specifically, the waistcoat should not extend below the bottom of the jacket in the front. This is where I see most white tie rigs go wrong. This, of course, means that the trousers must have a sufficiently high rise.
Yeah, to be honest I realised that would be a bad idea as soon as I typed it out, and once I actually thought about changing bow tie colour I realised it wouldn't work at all!

And this is the main issue I have: as this is a last-minute rental I don't have much control over exactly how well it ends up fitting as there were not that many rentals left. They rushed me along, with only trying on trousers, the tailcoat and getting a neck measurement...

I used "Oxbridge" for the anonymity, as I am asking questions that could be seen as ignorant/embarrassing and - as far as I'm aware - both universities do white tie in the same way, so there's no reason to specify which one.

When you say "standard stuff" and "jazz it up" are you referring to optional extras such as top hat, or to the more "outlandish" things such as a coloured pocket square?

Of course not, but that is not the meaning of the word. It's not about the universities, but about common characteristics (esp. re. class and status)
From same wikipedia entry:

"Oxbridge is often used as shorthand for characteristics that the two institutions share:"
Thank you :).

Thanks again so far, all.
If you can bear to answer the final questions of mine above, or to give me more advice, please go ahead!

Edit: And just in-case you ask why specify "Oxbridge" at all: the fact that it's a university ball and in England may change your opinions on whether top hat and all that could work, and whether the fact that it is apparently supposed to be completely uniform is as relevant when there will be plenty of 21-year-olds who may even be as ignorant as myself there (i.e. will it really be that uniform?)

Last edited:

Suit of Nettles

Reaction score
Your final point contains your best question: if a non-trivial percentage of guests, particularly a conspicuous group like younger guests, will ignorantly fail in the required dress, will you distinguish yourself more by carrying white tie off well, with the few personal touches it offers (the way you tie your tie, the way your PS sits in the pocket, the way your carry your and of course that famous red herring in dress, your bearing within it), or by throwing yourself in with those who fail in ignorance? Doing as you suggest will make you look less comfortable and less confident in your dress, rather than more.

If you look at the 'state of white tie' thread, you'll notice that while much of the guffawing goes to the truly deserving, a good deal of ire is reserved for those who almost get it right, but fail through utter sloppiness or a facile need to individuate. Don't try to distinguish yourself; just be distinguished. To be distinguished, you need to pay attention to the kind of details others have already indicated without, of course, becoming fastidious.

If you really want to stand out like a sore thumb, call up Kinloch Anderson and throw on a kilt, a Sherrifmuir doublet, a massive sealskin-and-silver sporran with a great fringe of hair, and a jabot lacy enough to completely obscure your downward vision. This is technically correct for white tie, and I can reasonably assure you that no-one else will take this option at your event. You won't, I know, but ask yourself why this wouldn't satisfy you when the wrong PS and tie would.

To return briefly to the above questions, I would suggest that the scarf is the easiest accoutrement to carry off; the stick should be left in the reliquary; the overcoat is purely a climatic decision; and the hat should only be employed if you're comfortable with it. A man who looks uncertain under his own hat looks as if he's about to lecture everyone on the dangers of microwave emissions, and then confide that he has lined the inside of his headgear with tinfoil.

Last edited:

Doomdoom

Reaction score
Your final point contains your best question: if a non-trivial percentage of guests, particularly a conspicuous group like younger guests, will ignorantly fail in the required dress, will you distinguish yourself more by carrying white tie off well, with the few personal touches it offers (the way you tie your tie, the way your PS sits in the pocket, the way your carry your and of course that famous red herring in dress, your bearing within it), or by throwing yourself in with those who fail in ignorance? Doing as you suggest will make you look less comfortable and less confident in your dress, rather than more.

If you look at the 'state of white tie' thread, you'll notice that while much of the guffawing goes to the truly deserving, a good deal of ire is reserved for those who almost get it right, but fail through utter sloppiness or a facile need to individuate. Don't try to distinguish yourself; just be distinguished. To be distinguished, you need to pay attention to the kind of details others have already indicated without, of course, becoming fastidious.

If you really want to stand out like a sore thumb, call up Kinloch Anderson and throw on a kilt, a Sherrifmuir doublet, a massive sealskin-and-silver sporran with a great fringe of hair, and a jabot lacy enough to completely obscure your downward vision. This is technically correct for white tie, and I can reasonably assure you that no-one else will take this option at your event. You won't, I know, but ask yourself why this wouldn't satisfy you when the wrong PS and tie would.

To return briefly to the above questions, I would suggest that the scarf is the easiest accoutrement to carry off; the stick should be left in the reliquary; the overcoat is purely a climatic decision; and the hat should only be employed if you're comfortable with it. A man who looks uncertain under his own hat looks as if he's about to lecture everyone on the dangers of microwave emissions, and then confide that he has lined the inside of his headgear with tinfoil.
Really useful reply, and I had a good laugh at your final sentence!

All very good points, but I am now seriously considering a jabot! From what I can tell, though, it is only acceptable with highland-wear (e.g. the outfit you listed), correct? In other words, it would not be acceptable to replace my white bow tie with a white jabot if the rest of my outfit is categorically not highland style?

I will go for a hat, assuming I can find one in time that fits properly. I think I would enjoy it.

I will also go for a silk scarf then. Any big 'do's/don'ts on this front (e.g. length, worn straight or tied...)?

Thank you very much!

Pics?

......Sent from NSA Monitored Device

of?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Going to Oxford or Cambridge is not that special really, you don't have to try and spare our sensibilities. There are several alumni of both universities on the forum. Be proud.

I repeat that if you can make that listed outfit fit properly, you will look very smart indeed. No need for anything more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads