• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to meet intelligent women in Toronto?

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
wtf you guys. "artistic" doesn't necessarily mean she's going to be reading beaudelaire and sobbing into the organic quilt her grandmother had sewn for her just because you didn't "understand" the meaning of some goddamn movie/book/music/etc that she tried telling you about. she isn't going to hate you for not "getting" jackson pollock. she doesn't always have to have bipolar disorder and manic depressive mood swings because her parents were derranged hippies that concieved her on mescaline. artistic can mean someone is inclined to like things for their artistic merit without being a complete psycho, you know.

WTF is this ****?
eh.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Did you want to be an IT guy when you were growing up? What would that say about you?

I had no direction growing up and I have no qualms admitting that IT was a fallback from something else that I never found. That said, it's a pretty good fallback with real career options and good pay, for those that have the skills. It's not like i'm running around fixing printers and showing people how to use their mouse or other low level ****. My job is actually pretty cool. Will I ever make as much as a banker? No, but I can make a comfortable low six figure salary and that's not the worst thing in the world.

The difference is that although I never found my true calling, whatever that's supposed to mean, I pushed myself to keep learning because I wanted to better my life. What I do requires a lot of study and a fair amount of intelligence combined with good work ethic.

My qualm isn't so much the job title itself, but what it represents (no desire to learn or improve). That said, one of the receptionists where I work is super ******* cute.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
A woman would first need to be around him to be able to say something about him when not around him.
dude, you know full well that women are quicker to judge than that....

I'm sure his name has been bandied around the pool of receptionists/customer service reps that he thinks he is above talking to when they random girl talk single guys in the office.

Curious why he thinks his name is dismissed (and ya, GQgeek, for some reason, it has been, and it isn't because they think you are too intelligent for them).

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I had no direction growing up and I have no qualms admitting that IT was a fallback from something else that I never found.

It's not a fallback if you're not raking >=250k, son.

Monimus

Reaction score
To answer the question:

Stay in collegetown, by bay/bloor. You'll find suits and smart girls. Stay away from university pubs and frat houses. The further downtown you go, the smarter they get. Dundas/ossington is great, as is distillery district.

Other good places: Trinity bellwoods, and kensington lofts. sometimes by yonge/sheppard.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Monimus
To answer the question: Stay in collegetown, by bay/bloor. You'll find suits and smart girls. Stay away from university pubs and frat houses. The further downtown you go, the smarter they get. Dundas/ossington is great, as is distillery district. Other good places: Trinity bellwoods, and kensington lofts. sometimes by yonge/sheppard.
So smarts are divided by area codes in your world? geek: you were aimless/or had goals and you did not attain them because life happened. You are also not stuck in the position you are as you can change (you're not dead). The girls you meet are in the same position, don't belittle them and maybe you'll meet someone interesting. Keep in mind that you really are very career oriented and want money, lots of other people have different goals. Most people I know who just wanted money do far better than you BTW, time to step up your hustle. Oh and, generally speaking, when women hear "IT" they don't exactly wet their panties (and might miss what makes you interesting) so don't go doing the same thing...

UpperWestie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
wtf you guys. "artistic" doesn't necessarily mean she's going to be reading beaudelaire and sobbing into the organic quilt her grandmother had sewn for her just because you didn't "understand" the meaning of some goddamn movie/book/music/etc that she tried telling you about. she isn't going to hate you for not "getting" jackson pollock. she doesn't always have to have bipolar disorder and manic depressive mood swings because her parents were derranged hippies that concieved her on mescaline. artistic can mean someone is inclined to like things for their artistic merit without being a complete psycho, you know.

I think there's a distinction between someone who is artistic/creative and someone who is appreciative and passionate of the arts. Most genuinely artistic people i know, including men, can often times be a ***** to be around. The manic introspection is a killer. They can be great friends and lovers, but the emotions are painful.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
soo....what do you think women say about you when you're not around man?

Don't care but seeing as i've slept with a several girls from the office over the years (prefer not to these days), it's generally positive, I'm assuming. You guys may hate some of the things I say on here, but most people do actually like me IRL.

Originally Posted by Matt
dude, you know full well that women are quicker to judge than that....

I'm sure his name has been bandied around the pool of receptionists/customer service reps that he thinks he is above talking to when they random girl talk single guys in the office.

Curious why he thinks his name is dismissed (and ya, GQgeek, for some reason, it has been, and it isn't because they think you are too intelligent for them).

I never said that I was above talking to anyone, or even suggested it. I often talk to them, though not so much at my new job because it's new and they're so far away from me in the building. I just don't particularly want to be in a relationship with someone that's got no intellectual curiosity and doesn't place any value on learning. I'm sorry that i've offended everyone's delicate sensibilities, but the fact remains that I have yet to meet a receptionist that reads anything besides Harry Potter or Dan Brown. They are frequently very fun and flirtatious, but thinking long-term/marriage/kids, I want someone with intellectual curiosity that I can take on vacation and not worry about whether they're going to hate going from one archaeological site or historic point of interest to another. And if I am going to have kids some day, I want the little bastards to be smart. I'd be really disappointed if they were not. And were I to marry someone, she'd have to be someone I thought actually had someone to teach my kids.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Superfluous Man
People who desire to meet "intelligent" people are generally social outcasts.

Or they're Jewish and were always brought up to take education and intelligence more seriously than looks.
laugh.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Monimus
More like there's a higher density of smart girls in certain areas. Same as in any city.
Well there is a higher density of people in certain areas, I'd avoid going further than that if I were you...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
So smarts are divided by area codes in your world? geek: you were aimless/or had goals and you did not attain them because life happened. You are also not stuck in the position you are as you can change (you're not dead). The girls you meet are in the same position, don't belittle them and maybe you'll meet someone interesting. Keep in mind that you really are very career oriented and want money, lots of other people have different goals. Most people I know who just wanted money do far better than you BTW, time to step up your hustle. Oh and, generally speaking, when women hear "IT" they don't exactly wet their panties (and might miss what makes you interesting) so don't go doing the same thing...
I can't remember the last time i ever talked to a girl about my job, because I know it will bore most people out of their minds. And no, I'm not dead, but at some point you have to stick with something and follow it through. I'm good at it and I generally like it. Am I passionate about it in the same way I am about roman history? No, but I think we've dealt with the value of humanities phds in another thread. I could do another 6-8 years of school and still make less than half what I make now. One has to find a balance between doing what you like and what pays well enough for your desired lifestyle. I can read history in my spare time. I think you'd probably find that I define myself less by my career than you think. As you said though, life happens. I'm doing the best I can given the mistakes I've made. If I do that middle-east move in a 2-3 years and can manage to stick that out for 5-6 years i'll be financially free to do whatever I want. You'll find it difficult to taunt me by saying that i'm not keeping up with the Joneses though because my desire for money is not something borne out of a desire for status, but for financial security. I didn't always care so much about it, but after what happened to my family and being really worried about money myself for a while, I realized the importance of it all and it finally provided me the motivation to buckle down. And I'd never dismiss a pretty girl because of her occupation without getting to know her first, but on forums it's pretty easy to say things without entirely flushing out what you mean. If I found out she was going to university at night to better herself in some way, I would probably be fine with that. It shows that they're doing something. If she expressed no desire for learning, I wouldn't want to be in a LT relationship with her. The receptionist at my last job was hot as **** but the girl was like a zombie and she had no desire to learn anything new. That's what I obviously do not want.

KenN

Reaction score
Why are we talking about artistic girls and intelligent girls like they are mutually exclusive?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
cos we are pigeonholing women into four broad categories to make it easier for people in a city of like 3 million to believe there aren't any attractive smart chicks in the whole place.

1. smart
2. hippy
3. moron
4. ugly

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads