• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Collar MtM - any experiences?

GeoffUK

Reaction score
I can't deny that times are changing and there are absolutely fantastic suits being made in Chinese factories these days. I know a lot of made to measure companies produce in China, and what they produce seems to be far from the fused, cheap shiny fabric garments we perhaps associated with the far east a few years ago. There are now factories capable of making fully canvassed suits, with handwork when requested, using high-end branded fabrics from respected mills and merchants and excellent construction techniques. I also know there are a lot of people who position themselves in the 'higher end' of MtM who are using these factories (and some aren't always so forthcoming about informing you they're made in a mass-factory in China).

Having had great results with made to measure produced in China (mainly SuitSupply), I decided that I'd like to see if I could order/work directly with a factory over there.

The answer turned out to be yes, and I've been in talks with Red Collar/Kutesmart who have no issue with this.

What I've found so far is they offer what I think many would consider incredible prices for a full canvassed suit, with vast measurement options. I'm able to select forward shoulder options, which I haven't been able to do using previous made to measure options. The design options are also effectively limitless, with them giving a design book that lists every option you could think of. This includes pages of nothing but different combinations of pockets. It has to be seen to be believed, in my opinion.

Here's the thing though, obviously brands aren't keen to divulge which factories they use, especially when they're in China. So, as much as it seems like an absolute no-brainer to give it a go, I don't know anyone who can say they've dealt with Red Collar, or anyone who can name a particular brand who uses them for fully canvassed tailoring.

Does anyone here have any real world experience with their higher end offerings?

My plan was to order a fused suit in a house Chinese fabric in order to see how the fit is, and then after working out what changes I'd want to make regarding fit/pattern, then to try the fully canvassed suit.

refinery

Reaction score
I can't deny that times are changing and there are absolutely fantastic suits being made in Chinese factories these days. I know a lot of made to measure companies produce in China, and what they produce seems to be far from the fused, cheap shiny fabric garments we perhaps associated with the far east a few years ago. There are now factories capable of making fully canvassed suits, with handwork when requested, using high-end branded fabrics from respected mills and merchants and excellent construction techniques. I also know there are a lot of people who position themselves in the 'higher end' of MtM who are using these factories (and some aren't always so forthcoming about informing you they're made in a mass-factory in China).

Having had great results with made to measure produced in China (mainly SuitSupply), I decided that I'd like to see if I could order/work directly with a factory over there.

The answer turned out to be yes, and I've been in talks with Red Collar/Kutesmart who have no issue with this.

What I've found so far is they offer what I think many would consider incredible prices for a full canvassed suit, with vast measurement options. I'm able to select forward shoulder options, which I haven't been able to do using previous made to measure options. The design options are also effectively limitless, with them giving a design book that lists every option you could think of. This includes pages of nothing but different combinations of pockets. It has to be seen to be believed, in my opinion.

Here's the thing though, obviously brands aren't keen to divulge which factories they use, especially when they're in China. So, as much as it seems like an absolute no-brainer to give it a go, I don't know anyone who can say they've dealt with Red Collar, or anyone who can name a particular brand who uses them for fully canvassed tailoring.

Does anyone here have any real world experience with their higher end offerings?

My plan was to order a fused suit in a house Chinese fabric in order to see how the fit is, and then after working out what changes I'd want to make regarding fit/pattern, then to try the fully canvassed suit.
Did you ever end up getting a suit from them?

Curious to know your experience.

MattyB

Reaction score
I would recommend staying as far away from them as possible. Their system makes it easy to see how things are progressing, but the people working for them arent tailors and have zero idea how to even use their system. Measurements get changed, and measurements not entered. style details wrong. cost us over $3000 in production mistakes. Total waste of time,

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also prison labor has less of an incentive to master the system when
they might be transferred by the cadres at any time to do road work,
for example.

Rfreedman294

Reaction score

What others manufacture is their

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads