• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Suit Shopping Experience Like? - Gym Go-ers and Athletically Built Guys

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My suit shopping experience tends to be miserable. I have just stopped buying suits at this point and am waiting until I can go bespoke. I only have about five suits, and there is some aspect of the fit that I do not care for in each of them. I am just kind of sick of spending money on something I never really feel comfortable in. I have very broad shoulders, a big chest, a small waist, and then fairly large thighs. I really have not found an option so far. Isaia and Ring Jacket fit the best for me, but they do have their issues just like anything else.

As for MTM... I do not know why anyone would go MTM when you could spend more [or maybe less depending on the MTM service] getting bespoke from Chan, NSM, etc.

HughJ

Reaction score
Most of the people posting on this forum probably also take their OTR stuff to the tailor. It's just that their adjustments are a lot finer than us posting in this thread. It doesn't bother me, because the reality is it's a lot easier to have something taken in than let out from a large drop. C'est la vie.

It's actually shirts that give me the most trouble....

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also have a drop 11 with a 42 chest, almost 43, which practically makes buying suits OTR almost impossible. Once I reach my ideal weight I'll be in the market for a new suit, but 'll probably have to resort to suiting separates or MTM.

Equally annoying are pants and shorts. Squat booty has made even traditional fits look tight on me and my lower body isn't that big.

I recently received a BBGF Madison fit suit (their "bigger cut") and the pants are almost too tight :tounge: It's getting better though. Back when I was doing squats at 405 for sets of 10 I had to get size 38 -40 pants then cinch them in (college budget, no mtm)

I once tried on a pair of incotex cotton trousers in my perfect size, (36x33) I could fit in them, but my thighs were about to bust out. I have made peace with the fact that I cannot usually fit into flat front pants, but I hate the super baggy ones at the same time. To be honest I have had good luck on eBay/the SF here, knowing your measurements exactly is a must though, and even then it is a chance.

Knucklehead

Reaction score
I'm 5'9" about 180 lbs, My chest is 42+ inches or so but I usually go for a size 40 coat. My waist is 30 inches but I have big legs and glutes. I really appreciate seeing all the advice from others here.

Style strategies for the swole:

Suits/SCs: I like thrifting sportcoats and suits bc then I can do whatever I want to them without fear of potentially screwing up an expensive item. I've cut out the shoulder pads of several coats since I have big shoulders anyway. I try not to get my jackets taken in too dramatically because that seems to cause lapels to bow out more if you have a big chest. For single vent jackets my tailor normally takes jackets in using the seams right under where the lats hang out. I ask him to be careful or start lower to avoid tightening the jacket too much around my lats.

Pants: I have the waist taken in and taper them a little. I kinda dig suspenders. If you're jacked it actually makes you look more badass.

Shirts: I wear slim fit dress shirts. If I buy a traditional fit dress shirt that fits my neck size (16), the body of the shirt looks like a tunic. I do, however, purchase casual OCBDs in traditional fit but I size down to 15.5 or 15.75 and never button the top button anyway.

Shoes: I like the way boots and other sturdy shoes complement my physique.

Hats: I like Ivy caps, but perhaps that has more to do with my face shape than my body type

promark809

Reaction score

Ah, the one time it sucks to be athletic. I'm a gym enthusiast. I played hockey through college and now weight train pretty hard. I'm 5'9 177 and have a 11 inch drop from the chest (44) to my waste (33). The real problem, for me however, is my leg measurement(26). Obviously, most aren't shaped like me. I used to find that some of my jackets would fit well everywhere besides the "peak" I would get in my lapels from the jacket not fitting my chest but fitting my shoulders. For trousers i would order about a 36 and get A LOT of tailoring done on them. Recently I have begun having my stuff MTM. I can say this is the best idea I have ever had!!!.

I also have a drop 11 with a 42 chest, almost 43, which practically makes buying suits OTR almost impossible. Once I reach my ideal weight I'll be in the market for a new suit, but 'll probably have to resort to suiting separates or MTM.

Equally annoying are pants and shorts. Squat booty has made even traditional fits look tight on me and my lower body isn't that big.

Totally like you guys. My thigh measurement is 25 and my booty pops out because of all the squats and running I did from soccer. Want me to fit into a slim fit pant? You must be joking! haha.

But yea, I did some searching on SF to see if there were any other threads regarding our suit fitting problem. I found a thread about athletic fit suits.

What do you guys think? Would you guys shop at a store that made suits OTR for guys like us?

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My suit shopping experience tends to be miserable. I have just stopped buying suits at this point and am waiting until I can go bespoke. I only have about five suits, and there is some aspect of the fit that I do not care for in each of them. I am just kind of sick of spending money on something I never really feel comfortable in. I have very broad shoulders, a big chest, a small waist, and then fairly large thighs. I really have not found an option so far. Isaia and Ring Jacket fit the best for me, but they do have their issues just like anything else.

As for MTM... I do not know why anyone would go MTM when you could spend more [or maybe less depending on the MTM service] getting bespoke from Chan, NSM, etc.
I've whittled my number of suits down to six that fit best, all of which are Isaia. I'm going the bespoke route as soon as I identify a tailor. A colleague of mine uses Chan, and his suits look great; however, I'd rather use a domestic tailor that I can visit frequently for fittings and such. I'll be in Hong Kong in a couple of months, and will keep Chan and other tailors there as an option.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've whittled my number of suits down to six that fit best, all of which are Isaia. I'm going the bespoke route as soon as I identify a tailor. A colleague of mine uses Chan, and his suits look great; however, I'd rather use a domestic tailor that I can visit frequently for fittings and such. I'll be in Hong Kong in a couple of months, and will keep Chan and other tailors there as an option.

I have the same experience, Isaia is the best fit for me. I can squeeze into RLBL, but Isaia is better :tounge:

I've had decent luck with BBGF as well.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have the same experience, Isaia is the best fit for me. I can squeeze into RLBL, but Isaia is better :tounge:

I've had decent luck with BBGF as well.

BB did a consistently good job re-cutting my pants, they always ended up fitting very well. Unfortunately, they did a terrible job with my jackets more often than not.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I can understand that. I am thinking about using Manuel Martinez, a tailor here in Baton Rouge. Alas, few in these parts [save CoolPapaBoze] have used him, so I am a bit hesitant to take the plunge. It is very appealing to have a tailor ~ 5 minutes from my place [depending on traffic :)]

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BB did a consistently good job re-cutting my pants, they always ended up fitting very well. Unfortunately, they did a terrible job with my jackets more often than not.

Hmmm I have never used their in house tailor. I have heard too many horror stories.

matt22616

Reaction score

Yeah, I can understand that. I am thinking about using Manuel Martinez, a tailor here in Baton Rouge. Alas, few in these parts [save CoolPapaBoze] have used him, so I am a bit hesitant to take the plunge. It is very appealing to have a tailor ~ 5 minutes from my place [depending on traffic :)]

Do you happen to know if he gets any/significant business from New Orleans? Just interested. Website makes it look pretty dope.

Wjleier

Reaction score

Totally like you guys. My thigh measurement is 25 and my booty pops out because of all the squats and running I did from soccer. Want me to fit into a slim fit pant? You must be joking! haha.

But yea, I did some searching on SF to see if there were any other threads regarding our suit fitting problem. I found a thread about athletic fit suits.

What do you guys think? Would you guys shop at a store that made suits OTR for guys like us?

I would only buy pants that can be found in the separate category. Or, my real recommendation is mtm. I promise you will never be more thrilled.

Wjleier

Reaction score
you realize that a lot of the people asking and answering questions are probably trying to gain weight, right??

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do you happen to know if he gets any/significant business from New Orleans? Just interested. Website makes it look pretty dope.

Really not sure to be honest. I have wondered that myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads