• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Suit Shopping Experience Like? - Gym Go-ers and Athletically Built Guys

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is actually a huge problem for me. I am 6'4" 210, mostly mustle and very little fat. When I am like this, it's not too bad. I can tailor a 42L or 44L OTR suit and have it fit like a glove.

Problem is when I am not lifting, my weight fluctuates. I naturally have crazy matenbolism and can go down to 190 when take my "breakes". I like to take a 3 week break from lifting every 3~4 months. I get great results building my muscles back up and the rest period is good for my body.

Obviously this creates a problem with my taliored suits and shirts as they tend to look slightly "baggy" at this point.

It may sound crazy but I started buying 2 sets of suits. A set for when I am lift and a set for my "off season". It's been working out pretty well for me.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is actually a huge problem for me. I am 6'4" 210, mostly mustle and very little fat. When I am like this, it's not too bad. I can tailor a 42L or 44L OTR suit and have it fit like a glove.

Problem is when I am not lifting, my weight fluctuates. I naturally have crazy matenbolism and can go down to 190 when take my "breakes". I like to take a 3 week break from lifting every 3~4 months. I get great results building my muscles back up and the rest period is good for my body.

Obviously this creates a problem with my taliored suits and shirts as they tend to look slightly "baggy" at this point.

It may sound crazy but I started buying 2 sets of suits. A set for when I am lift and a set for my "off season". It's been working out pretty well for me.

Do you do shows/competitions? How much does your weight fluctuate?

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you do shows/competitions? How much does your weight fluctuate?

No way, I'm not that build. I am just very top heavy in my triceps, bicepts and chest area, so I tailor my suits accordingly. But when I take my break I can lose up to 20 pounds of muscle (this is skinny bastard Charles).

No worries though, now that I have my skinny guy suits.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No way, I'm not that build. I am just very top heavy in my triceps, bicepts and chest area, so I tailor my suits accordingly. But when I take my break I can lose up to 20 pounds of muscle (this is skinny bastard Charles).

No worries though, now that I have my skinny guy suits.

Wow! You must change your diet pretty radically.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm, I never though about. It is a pretty big change. But I am 210 right now, make no mistake if I don't go to the gym at all for 3~4 weeks I will be down to 190~200.

Maybe it comes from living in a 5 flight walk up and not owning car? :)

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 isn't that hard to believe. Diet changes can do much of that. So if you change your eating at the same time that might be it.

I find if I take a longer break that when I start back up I pick up some extra water weight. Easily a couple of pounds.

I'm in a three story at over 700 metres above sea level :nodding:

promark809

Reaction score

I've whittled my number of suits down to six that fit best, all of which are Isaia. I'm going the bespoke route as soon as I identify a tailor. A colleague of mine uses Chan, and his suits look great; however, I'd rather use a domestic tailor that I can visit frequently for fittings and such. I'll be in Hong Kong in a couple of months, and will keep Chan and other tailors there as an option.

I'm fairly new to this whole bespoke thing. What's their price range usually? I'm assuming they're more the high end priced suits.

thats pretty interesting man, thats a big fluctuation without a diet change

Yea, I thought that was crazy how you lose so much weight so fast but then I remembered after not working out for one month while I was in Japan, I had dropped 20 lbs. (the same 20 lbs. that took me one whole semester to gain going to the gym). Lost A LOT of my muscle. For guys who go to the gym 4-6 times a week and then have even one month of no lifting, muscle gets broken down fairly quickly. But then it's also pretty easy to gain back when you start back up your gym routines.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm fairly new to this whole bespoke thing. What's their price range usually? I'm assuming they're more the high end priced suits.
The price varies a lot among tailors, as low as $600 for Chan, according to my colleague, and as high as you can imagine for the upper tier.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads