1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. CTLION

CTLION Well-Known Member

Hitchcock marathon on Friday, although it appears they left off my favorite...North By Northwest.

2. CTLION

CTLION Well-Known Member

I went to 12 Years As a Slave a couple of weeks ago. Did anyone else think that they spent too much time focusing on slavery?

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

Well, it is called 12 Years As a Slave.

4. CTLION

CTLION Well-Known Member

That was a joke.

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

In the future, please send me a PM when you make a joke so I can avoid looking foolish.

6. CTLION

CTLION Well-Known Member

Will do..my bad...was a bit bored when I wrote that.

1 person likes this.
  7. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Well-Known Member

A refreshing humanistic film with an excellent use color. Kaurismäki articulates his views clearly, simply, and concisely. I highly recommend it.

1 person likes this.
  8. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Well-Known Member

Where did you find an unmolested version? You watching it on VHS?

9. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

From the 2004 double disk sets? (I think repackaged as a box in 2008). How big a deal is it, them being non-anamorphic?

11. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

I have no idea. I haven't watched them in years and didn't know the difference back then. Might dig em out this weekend and get back to you on that

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  12. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Cool. It's not terrible important (I'm sure I could google me to all kinds of comparisons) - I just remembered it being an issue when they were released. If I sat down to watch them I don't think I would give it much thought, so just wondered if it was something you'd noticed.

From what I can gather, the versions you have there are as good as it's gonna get for the original-original trilogy :)

13. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Somewhere on the internet (and I may have downloaded them at some point to upgrade the 2004 versions) there is a custom fan made unmolested version.

I don't remember the details but I think they took the highest quality unmolested version if every scene. So they have bluray rips where possible and drop to other releases when necessary. Might have been able to keep the bluray audio for the whole thing.

I had a friend who had never seen them and was going to try this version... But now I don't remember who it was.

14. otc

otc Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  15. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

^ Great read. If I ever have kids, that Machete Order is definitely going to come in handy.

"The other problem with Episode Order is that the prequels don’t really have a story." That sentence sums up the prequel trilogy right there.

16. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Cutting episode one is genius.

It really has zero story that blends with the rest and all of the characters and villains die or are replaced by different actors (Natalie portman is still there but she takes over keira knightly's role).

Any mildly important plot points are reviewed in EP 2. You can leave EP 1 as a "this thing exists... You can watch it later if you want along with the holiday special".

17. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Well-Known Member

18. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

19. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Well-Known Member

Plus fucking one.

Not that anyone should want to. This is also how I feel about Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull. Fucking aliens; seriously?

20. CTLION

CTLION Well-Known Member

Agree completely on the aliens...I think Lucas and Spielberg got together and said, "How can we make sure that the audience won't ask for another Indiana Jones movie? I got it...we will make the whole thing end with aliens."

Mission accomplished.