• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thefoxtooth

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure @thefoxtooth is quite a spirited animal, yes.
smile.gif
And may I say amen to all this talk about rise. I'm glad to see that its sneaking in a few places, but it's not easy to find. Nor is a fuller cut trouser. You look at all those inspiration photos posted earlier or at Gentleman's Gazette or any decent vintage workwear blog and you see trousers you just can't find much of these days.

I'm partly fulminating just to amuse myself, as the higher rises are undoubtedly coming, and the young folks will be leading the charge.

I predicted this years agoโ€”doesn't take a genius really, basic fashion pendulumโ€”and you can definitely see it happening now. But I am surprised how long it's taking and how resistant some still are (see above).

bigruss

Reaction score

^Lower rise can certainly be a good look, and you are right Chulillo, it can depend on proportions and body type.

On the fast fashion thing, reading popular press stories about it the theme seems to be "retailers who keep up with trend." But it strikes me as a way to keep inventory ticking over through constant novelty with a dash of FOMO in there as well. Which is to say, I'm not sure if fast fashion's real raison is to be a conduit for the latest trends as much as it is a manufacturing and supply chain concept grounded in the importance of inventory turns. Of course, if stuff is really cycling through so fast, how do they keep coming up with variations of stuff to make? I'm sure this is what gets covered in business school, right? :)

@mc2k Narrower brims seem to be preferred around here (when people wear a proper hat vs. a cap). I think most of the time the hats are worn for fashion rather than function and the smaller brim wins there (is this the high rise/low rise of hats... ha ha). I will admit its sometimes hard to know what to do with a hat with a large brim once you take it off.

Of course, if you find someone wearing a straw or felt hat for more practical reasons, I think you'll be more likely to find a wider brim.

I'm considering picking up one of these for the warmer months:

It's really inexpensive and I could beat it up a bit and see how it turns out.

That looks like a hat blank. Folks usually soak those and then crease the crown/shape the brim. Add a band and you are in business. I suppose you could wear it as-is but I can't think that I've ever seen it done.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

@FrankCowperwood

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding fast fashion, in a lot of ways.

I've heard that Zara pieces go from the "design" stage (used loosely) to the floor of the stores in 7-10 days. Somehow, that doesn't seem like they're trying to make an actual impact in the fashion realm...

That's really incredible.

I have not been into a fast fashion retailer recently, but this must largely be a prefab approach to design; rearranging existing elements in different combinations. IDK. Uniqlo counts as fast fashion, right? There's one Chicago now. I'll have to go have a look.

That looks like a hat blank. Folks usually soak those and then crease the crown/shape the brim. Add a band and you are in business. I suppose you could wear it as-is but I can't think that I've ever seen it done.

That sounds right. They advertise it as "open crown" and that you will crease it to suit. My other thought is to get a Gus creased hat with a decent sized brim and go old-timey cowboy/gaucho. Probably need a good hat band either way.

Last edited:

winghus

Reaction score

If you pay attention to ladies out gardening you'll see a lot of hats exactly like that.

scrolls

Reaction score
@Gerry Nelson Only on SF do we get someone working from home dressed as well as you are. I work from home most days and my attire is some combination of sweatpants/basketball shorts and undershirt/no shirt
biggrin.gif

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black shoes are clearly too formal for someone working at home.

thefoxtooth

Reaction score

Haha... I too like high-rise trousers/jeans/pants but as a child of my time I too like some low rise ย jeans. I think they look pretty good depending on the occasion (and body). I have very long legs so sometimes high rise trousers/jeans make them look even longer. If one is on the shorter side or has short legs, then, low-rise is not for him.ย 

(looks around shiftily) Uh, no... I don't have short legs at all... (swallows) 24 inches around? Who told you that? OK, no more questions!

thefoxtooth

Reaction score
@mc2k Narrower brims seem to be preferred around here (when people wear a proper hat vs. a cap). I think most of the time the hats are worn for fashion rather than function and the smaller brim wins there (is this the high rise/low rise of hats... ha ha). I will admit its sometimes hard to know what to do with a hat with a large brim once you take it off.

Of course, if you find someone wearing a straw or felt hat for more practical reasons, I think you'll be more likely to find a wider brim.

I'm considering picking up one of these for the warmer months:

It's really inexpensive and I could beat it up a bit and see how it turns out.

Get you a cattleman crown and a chin strap on that thing, and you can fit right in at Dana Point or San O. Don't forget your 10'2" longboard.

A bushy bushy bon hairrrdo

Though I am just now making big plans for my huaraches, so I'm in no position to speak

EDIT: I just realized I'm wearing an aloha shirt

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads