• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my favourite vintage pairs and watch dials. My kids urged me to get the Grimace socks so I tried to match the purple and yellow.

These were custom made Golden Harvests sized 9eee but fit like 8.5eee which are perfect for me. Martin Sugg rebuilt with JR soles, toe taps, and cat paw heels.

20240415_075156.jpg
20240415_075159.jpg
20240415_075235.jpg
20240415_074617.jpg

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
93605s today…
IMG_5888.jpeg
IMG_5889.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mom gifted me these Johnston Murphys in deer skin back when I entered the workforce in 2008. I didn't know how to size my feet so these are 10, when I needed 8.5eee.

These are cemented construction but they've held up over time. A cobbler replaced the top lifts and added sole protectors.

Deer skin is super soft.

Paired with a watch that my aunt gifted me when I was 16.

20240416_080153.jpg
20240416_080157.jpg
20240416_080210.jpg

jellyroller

Reaction score
Questions for you vintage shoe enthusiasts...

Let's say you buy a used pair of vintage Edward Greens on eBay. You get the right size/last, but the shoes are worn enough that the footbeds have molded to the prior owner's feet. You feel like you're wearing another person's shoes and it's uncomfortable.

What do you do? Can you take them to a cobbler and get the footbed replaced / feeling new again? Do you send them to Edward Green for refurbishment? Or are you just out of luck and stuck with an uncomfortable pair of shoes?

actionjbone

Reaction score

Let's say you buy a used pair of vintage Edward Greens on eBay. You get the right size/last, but the shoes are worn enough that the footbeds have molded to the prior owner's feet. You feel like you're wearing another person's shoes and it's uncomfortable.

What do you do? Can you take them to a cobbler and get the footbed replaced / feeling new again? Do you send them to Edward Green for refurbishment? Or are you just out of luck and stuck with an uncomfortable pair of shoes?
You can definitely get the footbed replaced. It's best to do that as part of a full recraft, since it requires taking the shoes apart.

Alternately, if there's space inside the shoe, you can try adding a thin insole.

If the soles are very worn down, I'd just go with the recraft. Make sure to ask for new footbeds.

Satoman1

Reaction score

That is the cork in the midsole has been pressed to fit the previous owner's foot. Replacing the footbed will not change anything I think, you have to take it to cobber to resole.

Edward Green has a factory resole service so you can send it to them, the cost I remember is about $350, it's the best way if you're willing to spend the money because the shoes last will not be changed after factory resole, they even can downsize the shoes for you if it is too big.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A full rebuild will fix your issue. New footbed and corking will give fresh feel.

Whether you go with CJ, or a reputable cobbler, make sure you insist on new footbed. The latter is not automatically done, in my experience.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTW.

Alberto Suastez applied his museum dye to these really beat up 93602s.

20240417_080248.jpg
20240417_080245.jpg

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J in brown shell today…
IMG_5899.jpeg
IMG_5900.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads