• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Nettleton shoe company started in 1879. The company was "known for making and selling gentlemen's fine shoes from high-grade materials, craftsmen cut, sewed and formed shoes by hand." With a reputation for quality and excellence, the shoes regularly sold for higher prices. Henry Cook purchased Nettleton's interest in 1916 and was the company's principal owner for the next 50 years. Two of Nettleton's best known styles were Algonquin, introduced in 1932 and the Loafer which was introduced in 1937. The Cook family sold the company to Endicott-Johnson in 1968. Between 1968 and 1984 the company was sold again to U. S. Shoe Corporation which closed the factory in 1984. The Nettleton brand has recently been revived and it appears that the majority of their current styles are loafers, in the mid $700 range.

Ebay contains a number of Nettleton classics, such as these long wing bluchers, at a surprisingly reasonable price. A pair of Nettleon shoes, made in the USA, are certainly a great entry to vintage shoes.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Relaxing in my late 40s/early 50s Edward Clapp New Englanders

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Relaxing in my late 40s/early 50s Edward Clapp New Englanders

Those are really nice. I see the occasional sale of this brand on Ebay and it is worth keeping an eye open for. Several months ago a new old stock pair of split toes came up and went for only $100. Someone got a real deal.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Those are really nice. I see the occasional sale of this brand on Ebay and it is worth keeping an eye open for. Several months ago a new old stock pair of split toes came up and went for only $100. Someone got a real deal.
Edwin Clapp were the best, J&M Handmade were great too and of course Nettletons. Stetson are also fab and Crosby Square. The best place to get/find/buy such things is style forum member isshinryu101.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hanover long wings today. Man, I love the fit, color and style of these shoes.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Florsheim 93631 Golden Harvest longwings from 1976.

AHS

I love that really lighter shade for LWB and I have NEVER seen them in my size, at any price or in any condition. The hunt just must continue I guess. Those are really sharp!!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Very nice. Are those split toed or an apron top? Who made them?

Thanks! The maker has worn off but I would guess Nettleton. Aprons.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread has multiple examples of vintage Florsheim long wings, but they also made the beloved plain toe blucher (PTB). The 93603 is the plain toe cousin to the 93602 brown pebble long wing. These do surface on Ebay, and occasionally a pair of of new old stock, never worn PTBs are up for sale. Such is the case now for this beautiful pair of PTB in 11 D, but at an asking price of $700, it is unlikely they will sell anytime soon as this is nearly $300 over a NOS long wing of the same generation. Meanwhile, they are a wonderful example for us to admire on the thread.

Florsheim also occasionally used exotic leathers, such as this antelope PTB that the Ebay seller claims are from the 1970s.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Its wingtip Wednesday! Did I mention that I like long wings? Yeah, probably so and this week will be all LWB. So far it was Alden on Monday and Hanover on Tuesday. Today is the 1990 Florsheim in #8 shell. One of my favorites. Seen here before, but hey, its what I'm wearing today.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Its wingtip Wednesday! Did I mention that I like long wings? Yeah, probably so and this week will be all LWB. So far it was Alden on Monday and Hanover on Tuesday. Today is the 1990 Florsheim in #8 shell. One of my favorites. Seen here before, but hey, its what I'm wearing today.
:fonz:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Belgium by Allen Edmonds. A whole-cut plain toe shoe with a single ridge of stitching to set apart the eyelets from the vamp and the quarters. It is a late 1980s design and can be seen in catalogs from 1985 to the early 1990s. Despite its appearance, it is a polished cobbler and not some older cordovan creation. I have never seen one in the wild, but they occasionally appear on Ebay, where is this pair is currently for sale in size 10.5A. (I have no connection to this shoe or the sale). They have a nice vintage vibe and would still look interesting today.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads