• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vietnamese Cuisine.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I hope NYC gets some decent pho by the time I get there again. It'd be a shame for that city to not have at least one place that makes a good bowl, but from what I've seen and read on the internet, it doesn't appear so at present.

Stokely

Reaction score
This may sound odd. But there is Pho to be had in my parts of the world. Lantern in CH,NC just won a JBeard award. Their Pho is good. As well there are two nice spots in Durham that may suit the needs, but certainly for less cash.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There's good pho in random spots that people wouldn't think of. It obviously depends on where vietnamese people live, but since the catholic churches sponsored many Vietnamese people to come to the US in the '70's and then kinda let them loose, there are enclaves all over the US. The Midwest is dotted with Viet enclaves with good food, Kansas City might be the strongest after Southern California and southern Texas.

As far as ethnic food goes, Viet food can be a strong-showing ethnic cuisine when it comes to remote locations. There are obviously a couple specific herbs like thai basil and optionally ngo gai (growable at home and/or also shared amongst a few ethnicities) and spices (same) that go into really good, well-made and presented pho, but the backbone of the soup is plain beef bones or chicken, and the pho noodles, fish and chili sauces, are dry goods. Other dishes beyond pho are the same story. A lot of Asian food is like this actually, 90% can be bought at a local wal-mart and the rest is special stuff that is like 2 fresh herbs and a few dry goods from an ethnic store, the only reason it ever shows badly is if the target market isn't their own ethnicity.

Stokely

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
There's good pho in random spots that people wouldn't think of. It obviously depends on where vietnamese people live, but since the catholic churches sponsored many Vietnamese people to come to the US in the '70's and then kinda let them loose, there are enclaves all over the US. The Midwest is dotted with Viet enclaves with good food, Kansas City might be the strongest after Southern California and southern Texas. As far as ethnic food goes, Viet food can be a strong-showing ethnic cuisine when it comes to remote locations. There are obviously a couple specific herbs like thai basil and optionally ngo gai (growable at home and/or also shared amongst a few ethnicities) and spices (same) that go into really good, well-made and presented pho, but the backbone of the soup is plain beef bones or chicken, and the pho noodles, fish and chili sauces, are dry goods. Other dishes beyond pho are the same story. A lot of Asian food is like this actually, 90% can be bought at a local wal-mart and the rest is special stuff that is like 2 fresh herbs and a few dry goods from an ethnic store, the only reason it ever shows badly is if the target market isn't their own ethnicity.
Agree completely. No experience making it outside my kitchen, however the freshest herbs always do it. For me anyways, as does presentation, quantity. And the environs. Always the environs. Hopefully authentic, not necessarily a plastic seat on the side Of the road, although they're nice too.

Canvas08

Reaction score

I hope NYC gets some decent pho by the time I get there again. It'd be a shame for that city to not have at least one place that makes a good bowl, but from what I've seen and read on the internet, it doesn't appear so at present.

apparently they don't have good mexican food either. still want to visit there soon but can't imagine living there since mexican food and vietnamese food is like 65% of my diet

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's good pho in random spots that people wouldn't think of. It obviously depends on where vietnamese people live, but since the catholic churches sponsored many Vietnamese people to come to the US in the '70's and then kinda let them loose, there are enclaves all over the US. The Midwest is dotted with Viet enclaves with good food, Kansas City might be the strongest after Southern California and southern Texas. As far as ethnic food goes, Viet food can be a strong-showing ethnic cuisine when it comes to remote locations. There are obviously a couple specific herbs like thai basil and optionally ngo gai (growable at home and/or also shared amongst a few ethnicities) and spices (same) that go into really good, well-made and presented pho, but the backbone of the soup is plain beef bones or chicken, and the pho noodles, fish and chili sauces, are dry goods. Other dishes beyond pho are the same story. A lot of Asian food is like this actually, 90% can be bought at a local wal-mart and the rest is special stuff that is like 2 fresh herbs and a few dry goods from an ethnic store, the only reason it ever shows badly is if the target market isn't their own ethnicity.

don't forget northern VA. the amount of viet people there...they have some PRIME spots...philly aint bad either. I think if I drive my car back east I'll drop by the midwest, have yet to explore

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had some Pho is Paris. Dunno' how locally rated it was but there was quite a line outside, though it was a small place. It was pretty meh. Not bad, not great, slightly less than good really. I expected better, or at least a more interesting French take.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do people here think of the Pho Hoa chain? One just opened up here.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There was a great viet place next to GSU that doesn't have a website but there was this dish of pork, it was diced IIRC and two fried eggs were on top. Anyone know what that might be?

Pinhas

Reaction score

There was a great viet place next to GSU that doesn't have a website but there was this dish of pork, it was diced IIRC and two fried eggs were on top. Anyone know what that might be?

My local place have a very similar dish; they just call it their house spacial in English, but the Viet name is Com Viet Huong

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Had some Pho is Paris. Dunno' how locally rated it was but there was quite a line outside, though it was a small place. It was pretty meh. Not bad, not great, slightly less than good really. I expected better, or at least a more interesting French take.

I don't know what more of a french take they could take? they're already using all the ****** parts of the cow the french didn't use.

dablyputs

Reaction score
I see people have mentioned The Slanted Door but you should check out Tu Lan on 6th st in San Francisco.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads