• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vietnamese Cuisine.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How can you dislike Vietnamese cuisine!?!? Let this convince you.

312h4jm.jpg

EdenResident

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
^Damn, you rockin the VNkey!?!? I use the term vừa mostly when speaking about fit (ex: ao vua = shirt fits), or to say vua dung = right on, spot on.

Back to the subject of Vietnamese cuisine, my gf and I make one mean won ton mi xa xiu!

^ Yes.
biggrin.gif

"vua" has several meanings and you're correct in its usage.

Some of my favorites other than pho.
com tam
bun thit nuong/banh hoi thit nuong
canh chua
bo luc lac

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
How can you dislike Vietnamese cuisine!?!? Let this convince you.

312h4jm.jpg

Not convinced. Probably has a penis.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Not convinced. Probably has a penis.

What do you expect from a dish with an option for "extra beef balls"?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
Medium means "vừa" in Vietnamese. In Vietnam, though, there's usually only 2 sizes, small (nhỏ) and large (lớn). Some restaurants carry "dac biet" (special) which is usually a large bowl with an extra of everything. This is probably the equivalence of the "xe lua" version of Pho places in the States.

ya, I nearly got into the dac biet thing but didnt want to confuse the query.

Pho in Vietnam actually has a different taste than Pho in the States. I prefer the Americanized Pho.
a lot of Viet Kieu say that, basically I think that kinda comes down to the availability of a higher grade of beef there, which impacts both meat and broth, and is also a matter of what you grow up with.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
ya, I nearly got into the dac biet thing but didnt want to confuse the query.

Generally, the gradation is like this:

Nho = small
Lon = large
Dact Biet (special) = all the extras (meatballs, beef, tripe, tendon, etc.)
Xe Lua = extra large, but not necessarily with all the extras

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Xe Lua = extra large, but not necessarily with all the extras
which I think we have established, doesn't actually exist In Teh Fatherland

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by totally epic
Oh man, I want some banh uot and com w/ thit kho chung like right now.

Fixed! Taaaaaaaaasty!

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
If you don't mind venturing out to Flushing, Phobang is pretty good.

Edit: apparently they also have a location in Little Italy.

My favorite Pho place closed a year or two ago. It was a hole in the wall 2 doors down from the Burger King on Canal. You had to go to one of those places that sold luggage and jewelry, and walk all the way to the back. They had a kitchen next to luggage but the Pho was excellent.

I go to Pho Bang now, but only b/c I haven't found some where better.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Slanted Door is fusion, but the chef/owner is Vietnamese and Vietnamese food is the foundation, as it were. It's a concept restaurant, and Phan is something of a celebrity chef, and celebrity chefs these days scoff at doing traditional cuisine from any country. They have to add their own twist.

As mentioned earlier, the Tenderloin has a lot of Vietnamese dives. There are also some in the Mission, which is where Slanted Door started.

And, did I mention, it's really goooooooooood.

My favorite place in SF was in the Richmond district. I'd go with my Vietnamese friends who took care of the owner's dad while he was in the hospital. We'd get excellent service and fantastic food.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, how could i have missed the vietnamese cuisine thread?!?!! i'm chinese, grew up eating chinese food, like chinese food, but on any given day, if you asked me whether i wanted to eat chinese or vietnamese, 9 times out of 10 i'd say vietnamese. in fact i still remember that the first time i ate vietnamese food was after watching Batman (Keaton).

if it's lunch, i go with the sandwiches. dinner is usually pho or bun. Pho 79 in Alhambra is my go to place.

-Jeff

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Living no great distance from "Little Saigon" in Orange County, count me in as another big fan of Vietnamese cuisine.

I like just about all Asian cuisines though. I'm happy with Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, Cambodian...you name it.

Not much experience with Korean food, though, despite having lived in Koreatown for a number of years. I've never found an Indonesian restaurant in SoCal that could come close to the good Indonesian food I ate during my stays in Holland, however. I still have fond memories of that after the passage of many years.

Ant restaurant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Mmmm....pho with extra beef balls please. My ex's parents used to cook this for lunch all the time. Those were the days...
Ants Restaurant
143 Nghi Tam, Tây Ho Dist., Hanoi
Tel: 04. 6297 2021/ 09783 99983 (Ms. Thuy Anh)/ www.quankien.com

Ants restaurant - A restaurant with unique liquors and delectable food- "˜Let's get drunk!'

A restaurant owns modern Hanoian's drinking and dining combination style. Ants restaurant attracts gourmands with a range of traditional Vietnamese liquors and a variety of foods for drinking, which Ants had to seek from different regions in Vietnam.

At Ants restaurant, you could enjoy special liquors which are 100% natural and do not contain any artificial additives or flavoring. Fruit liquors at Ants restaurant are quite interesting to enjoy, including: Huong pagoda's apricots liquor, Can Tho province's lime liquor, Tu Le's Rose Apple liquor, especially, in the 2011 summer, Ants Restaurant will meet its gourmands' expectations with Dalat passion-fruit liquor.
Traditional Vietnamese cereals liquors bring you an exciting shock: Mường Khương corn liquor, herbal liquor, Bắc Giang province's rice liquor, Nếp Cái Hoa Và ng sticky rice liquor. It is more exciting to drink some the special liquor with Ants's dishes for drinking, such as roasted locusts, fried chicken cartilage, Tay Bac smoked sausage, H'mong liquor-steamed chicken, wild vegetables and herbs, as well as traditional hotpots such as field crab hot pot, "˜gion' fish hot pot. Ants restaurant's menu includes 100 dishes for drinking, which are chosen by Ants restaurant's owners on their trips to various regions nationwide.

Ants Restaurant
143 Nghi Tam, Tây Ho Dist., Hanoi
Tel: 04. 6297 2021/ 09783 99983 (Ms. Thuy Anh)/ www.quankien.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads