1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Vietnamese Cuisine.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by LabelKing, Sep 24, 2008.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I am rather fond of Vietnamese cuisine.

Any other fans?

2. Dragon

Dragon Well-Known Member

Sometimes I like it more than Chinese food, as Vietnamese is usually a little lighter.

I have Pho a couple times a week, and regular dishes for dinner probably once a week when I am in Los Angeles. It seems most of the good places are centered around the Westminster area.

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

pho is my go to lunch - right now my favorite cuisine is vietnamese, if I am the one choosing.

4. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I love the Slanted Door. Beyond that, not much experience with it.

5. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

Sometimes, I like the bun. Sometimes, I like the banh.

6. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Well-Known Member

I love the virbant flavors, its one of my favorites.

7. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

meh....after five years...it gets boring [​IMG] just back from Hanoi - generally I dont like northern Vietnamese food (take southern, remove taste) - although I did have some really good bun cha yesterday.

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

9. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

I love the Slanted Door. Beyond that, not much experience with it.

I love the Slanted Door as well and try to get there every time I'm in SF, but isn't that like saying you like CPK when someone asks whether you like Italian food? SD is much higher quality, and trendier than CPK, but both are Californicated versions of their ethnic cuisines.

Maybe LK can recommend a good Vietnamese place in the Bay Area?

--Andre

10. Mauby

Mauby Well-Known Member

I am rather fond of Vietnamese cuisine.

Any other fans?

Pho sho. Chicago has a ton of cheap Vietnamese girls...er, I mean restaurants. I think you've just inspired me to get some pho for lunch today.

11. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I love the Slanted Door as well and try to get there every time I'm in SF, but isn't that like saying you like CPK when someone asks whether you like Italian food?
    Maybe, sort of. But Slanted Door is much better than CPK and, so far as I know, much more Vietnamese than CPK is Italian.

Whatever it is, it is really gooooood.

12. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

just back from Hanoi - generally I dont like northern Vietnamese food (take southern, remove taste) - although I did have some really good bun cha yesterday.

Funny, northerners aren't fond of southern food for this very reason - too much sugar, pepper, and MSG.

That being said, the majority of Vietnamese food in the States are made southern-style.

13. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

That being said, the majority of Vietnamese food in the States are made southern-style.
    ya, just represents the origins of most of the people who left. A lot less northerners felt the need to flee...

14. Nahmeanz

Nahmeanz Well-Known Member

I guess I'm fond of it since I was raised on it. My family is from the North so I do prefer northern style cooking (usually just means it's not as sweet), so I prefer home-cooking rather than going out for Vietnamese food because most restaurants are southern. One restaurant I did like in Westminster was Quan Hy, they serve Hue-style food. Another thing I like going out for is Bo Bay Mon (7 courses of beef). In Vietnam, my relatives always tries to get me to eat at "fancy" places, I rather eat on a street corner at one of those Com Binh Dan spots, it's like home-cooking. Also, I love Vietnamese coffee. One of my favorite things to do in Hanoi is to sit at Au Lac Cafe and drink coffee.

15. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

Mmmm....pho with extra beef balls please. My ex's parents used to cook this for lunch all the time. Those were the days...

16. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

they serve Hue-style food
    Hue food is gooooooood.

17. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

Hue food is gooooooood.

The "banh" selection is verryyy nicceeee.

18. redgrail

redgrail Well-Known Member

Haven't really ventured much outside pho and banh mi, but both of those are lunch staples for me.

19. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

I love the Slanted Door as well and try to get there every time I'm in SF, but isn't that like saying you like CPK when someone asks whether you like Italian food? SD is much higher quality, and trendier than CPK, but both are Californicated versions of their ethnic cuisines.

Maybe LK can recommend a good Vietnamese place in the Bay Area?

Yeah, any place where you can order a Fritz Haag spatlese is not authentic VN food.

In the bay everything is centered around Tully Rd and Story Rd in San Jose. In fact there is one entire VN shopping plaza with it's own 90% VN food court, Lion Plaza. Tons of superb Pho places competing, Banh Mi, VN coffe (oh hell yes) and 7-course beef, etc.

SF has a few in the Tenderloin but I would not call it a destination spot.

There are also tons of Slanted Door wannabes sprouting up. Tamarine, Ana Mandara, Le Colonial (WTF?? please!!!), Three Seasons, Bong Su. So if you are really trying to spend $100 on a meal, check those out.

20. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

Speaking of pho/Vietnamese, where can I get tasty pho etc. in NYC? Not interested in gourmet, interested in authentic.