• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie brands we may not have heard of (but are worth knowing)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm well aware that those house brands I mentioned don't make their own ties. Which explains the variation in quality, I guess.
I take it you are not allowed to let us know the names of those labels you hint at?

I'd love to, for transparency sake, but it wouldn't be very proper to the makers who opened the doors of their workshop to us.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Antonio Muro

I was going to mention them, as I just pulled out one of theirs that I got from Exquisite Trimmings. It's quite nice.

Liverano obviously isn't under-the-radar, but they sell ties, which SkoAB carries. I have one. It's similar to Cappelli 3-folds that I have in terms of lining, construction, knotting, and how it hangs.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Press 123 if you think Claghorn should start a tie label

If I had the time and the capital, I think I could do a decent job. I'd like them to be made in America. Don't know why. Call me sentimental. And I think it would be more of a hobby than a business; I'd probably feel the same was about it as Jason at HC.

@Henry Carter , how many grays has your hobby added to your hair?

------

Seems like it might be a fun thread. "Alright, you're starting an online haberdashery. What are the first twenty ties you carry?"

Asian Afro

Reaction score

Interestingly, a good part (most?) of the brands cited here do not make their ties.   You'd be surprised at the number of different labels you see when visiting the workshops of some of the few remaining tie makers who can produce large series with consistent quality.   Some interesting labels...

Do these visits mean there might be NMWA ties in the future? :)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do these visits mean there might be NMWA ties in the future?
smile.gif

No, we have no interest in swapping a maker's tag for our own to create the illusion of exclusivity. Most private labeling is a sham.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No, we have no interest in swapping a maker's tag for our own to create the illusion of exclusivity. Most private labeling is a sham.

Aren't there tie manufacturers that only distribute under the names of resellers (e.g. http://www.brownandchurch.com/)? Though I guess that might not fall under "most."

Seamless

Reaction score
I know the brand I posted earlier the guy who makes the ties buys a lot of Zegna, fabrics used by Tom Ford and other popular textiles, I'll have to ask the shop owner about the label next week.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No idea who makes em, but plus one to Borrelli tie love.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea who makes em, but plus one to Borrelli tie love.

I've only got one, but yes, it not only easily makes and holds a lovely knot, but the silk is extraordinarily lovely to the touch.

Wish they were cheaper ...

Cheers,

Ac

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only got one, but yes, it not only easily makes and holds a lovely knot, but the silk is extraordinarily lovely to the touch.

Wish they were cheaper ...

Cheers,

Ac

The cashmeres are absolutely beautiful too

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have you guys to thank for helping me score these off eBay. They're not independent SF brands, but I was unaware of them before reading this thread.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I had the time and the capital, I think I could do a decent job. I'd like them to be made in America. Don't know why. Call me sentimental. And I think it would be more of a hobby than a business; I'd probably feel the same was about it as Jason at HC.

@Henry Carter
, how many grays has your hobby added to your hair?

------

Seems like it might be a fun thread. "Alright, you're starting an online haberdashery. What are the first twenty ties you carry?"

Missed this one... probably more to my beard than hair
263a.png
. On the grand scheme of things it's not all that stressful though I've just been through a pretty messy time with an ex stockist who I also considered a friend that's gone behind my back to start his own label using my tie makers.

I think the biggest skill in doing it isn't design because your not really designing fabrics, but curation. Being able to narrow down 500 fabrics to 20 that will sell takes a good eye and some experience. It's not rocket science but it is what it is.

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
Braemore Bespoke Ties might be an example of the type of label Claghorn is looking for. They apparently hand make ties in Canada. It can be hard to find one that isn't ugly but to my untrained eye and hand they look and feel at least as nice as the few ties I have by Canali, Zenga, and Eton.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/26755/need-help-iding-a-neck-tie-b

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads