• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This Week's Shoe Damage #13

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
metal toe and heel plates done by Edward Reiter in Germany.
Edward...Edward...Edward....It's Ludwig Reiter!

I remember the seller stating, these modifications had been done by Ludwig Reiter in Munich. But Reiter only has a shop in Munich, I presume they have given them to some contracter in Munich.

Even in Vienna Reiter does not do repairs themselves but hand them to their contract firm Augustin Altenburg
http://www.masschuh.at/

TKDKid

Reaction score
bengal-stripe, how are your bespoke EGs holding up? I remember seeing the pics when you first got them and thought they were great.
smile.gif

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Even stranger is the stock of that particular German seller. He/she offered at least a dozen pairs of EG shoes (different styles), all the same size 8 / 8½ E, all brand new and all modified with metal toe and heals. Very, very strange.

Perhaps a client in that size ordered all those shoes and never picked them up.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Edward...Edward...Edward....It's Ludwig Reiter!

I remember the seller stating, these modifications had been done by Ludwig Reiter in Munich. But Reiter only has a shop in Munich, I presume they have given them to some contracter in Munich.

Even in Vienna Reiter does not do repairs themselves but hand them to their contract firm Augustin Altenburg
http://www.masschuh.at/

Sorry Bengal, Ludwig, Ludwig, Ludwig.
blush.gif
I think I've got it now.
smile.gif

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Perhaps a client in that size ordered all those shoes and never picked them up.
Only aportnoy and sysdoc can order a dozen pairs of shoes in on go.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only aportnoy and sysdoc can order a dozen pairs of shoes in on go.

Maybe they did, and cancelled the order, so they can rebuy the shoes on eBay for less later...
tounge.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
aportnoy,
your shoes are really awesome, especially i ve been eyeing all the lobb in museum calf.
for the lobbs in museum calf, especially the darker ones like brown, pewter, etc, is there a tendency to lighten or the antiquing coming off at the crease lines?

i am interested in both santoni fam and now an increasing interest in lobb museum calf.
i know that santoni fam usually uses alot of hand antiquing of the leather, not a dye. so after some wear, the creases lighten.

but from the pictures it looks like the lobb museum is dyed not hand antiqued? does it lighten at the creases? thanks.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sysdoc
Well done!
thumbs-up.gif

You are back! Is this the return of the prodigal son or once-every-blue-moon special appearance? Either way, glad to see your postings.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
You are back! Is this the return of the prodigal son or once-every-blue-moon special appearance?
To quote 'Casablanca':

Rick: "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
aportnoy,
your shoes are really awesome, especially i ve been eyeing all the lobb in museum calf.
for the lobbs in museum calf, especially the darker ones like brown, pewter, etc, is there a tendency to lighten or the antiquing coming off at the crease lines?

i am interested in both santoni fam and now an increasing interest in lobb museum calf.
i know that santoni fam usually uses alot of hand antiquing of the leather, not a dye. so after some wear, the creases lighten.

but from the pictures it looks like the lobb museum is dyed not hand antiqued? does it lighten at the creases? thanks.

Thanks for the kind words Dior! My experience with JL museum is that the creses do not lighten dramatically. I should caveat that with the fact note that I tend to polish with darker colors so by nature, the creases will be less likely to show. For example, I'll polish the pewter museum with black saphir.

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
This is due to yours truly. When I had my shoes made, I said to Tony I preferred those plates and gave him the web-site of the German ironware manufacturers that produces them. (They are so much prettier than the standard ones.)
trium-n.jpg

When I saw Tony a few weeks later, he grumbled: "Got those plates, but had to buy a whole box. I suppose, I'll have to use them up now."

So until that box is used up (I have no idea how many they contained), all of Tony's shoes will have those metal plates (as do the pairs TimelessRider has just received).

Well this would explain why my Ectons arrived with unbidden toe plates (the ones with the chevron lines).

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Virginia Dandy
Well this would explain why my Ectons arrived with unbidden toe plates (the ones with the chevron lines).
I'm talking about the "½ Octagon" ones.

The "Chevron lines" are the standard ones which EG (and other manufacturers) use. (But only at special request.) Why they have fixed for you, without asking, I don't know.

Obviously something has gone wrong in the communication somewhere.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just a quick aparte regarding the John Lobb pewter patina...
i 'm torn between buying the Berluti Fumo patina or the John Lobb Beckett pewter patina...
I have found different pictures of the pewter patina on websites offering to the eye different tones...
The pewter on the John Lobb Sutton model appears like a browny/grey ,far from the steel tone of the picture...
I will be more than grateful if anyone could help me to find pictures of the JB pewter patina and also the Fumo patina for Berluti (model Alessandro)....

pkincy

Reaction score
I see that you are a bit new to the forum. Welcome.

You will find a common solution to your problem is to buy both.
blush.gif

Perry

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads