1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

This Week's Shoe Damage #13

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aportnoy, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

They are all beautiful but I really like the Southwold in dark oak. Gorgeous!

2. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

Andrew, is that a Thames sole on the suede Dover? very sleek.

3. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

What are they called? Are there names for the 2 different medallions?

Thanks,

4. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

They are nice shoes but if I were to go in a shoe shop I would past them by for many a more pleasing Italian made shoe. To each his own.

You mean like a pair of AE bluchers?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. benecios

benecios Well-Known Member

I am trying to rehabilitate myself,I already have more than enough shoes(or so my wife tells me).But that Holcott could drive a man insane,its just perfect!

6. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Andrew, is that a Thames sole on the suede Dover? very sleek.

Good eye PB.[​IMG] It is the Thames sole. When I last met with Hlary from EG she was confident that the sleek lines of the sheo could be maintained with the Thames and I have to admit, she was spot-on.

7. aportnoy

I am trying to rehabilitate myself,I already have more than enough shoes(or so my wife tells me).But that Holcott could drive a man insane,its just perfect!

For those who weren't around when this shoe first appeared, it was our stellar member iamatt who first ordered Holcot and Rye and I simply followed his lead. Thanks again Matt!

8. sysdoc

sysdoc Well-Known Member

mussel...Both the Berkelely and the Sandringham are on double soles with custom metal toe and heel plates done by Edward Reiter in Germany. They also have a mild rounding which is much like a fiddle-back waist. They are truly gorgeous and unlike any EG soles that I have encountered
    Andrew, have you ever asked the lady seller of this shoe why it comes with this super thick glued-on aftermarket (Rendenbach) sole? The EG-typical "Made in England" embossing on the original sole was lost in the process. [​IMG] This is a picture of the sole of Andrew's new EG Berkeley from the auction. [​IMG] I have had discussions with several cobblers about why anyone would glue such a sole onto a supposedly brand new shoe. [​IMG] The heel has been replaced and built-up as well. All of Zlatha10's EG shoes have this 1/2 inch higher heel. I really wonder why. Here's the link to the Ebay auction. Here the link to the Sandringham auction. This one still has the original sole, but also the aftermarket built-up heel.

9. aportnoy

I guess I just liked them, oh well. I guess I'll just throw them away or better yet, let Vaclav burn them.

Andrew,

have you ever asked the lady seller of this shoe why it comes with this super thick glued-on aftermarket (Rendenbach) sole? Even the EG-typical "Made in England" embossing was removed in the process.

[​IMG]
    This is a picture of the sole of Andrew's new EG Sandringham from the auction.

[​IMG]

I have had discussions with several cobblers about why anyone would glue such a sole onto a supposedly brand new shoe.

[​IMG]

The heel has been replaced and built-up as well. All of Zlatha10's EG shoes have this 1/2 inch higher heel. I really wonder why.

Here's the link to the Ebay auction.

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

The uppers look brand new to me, so I don't think that's the issue.

11. sysdoc

sysdoc Well-Known Member

Zlatha's shoes don't seem to be worn. I've got a pair from "zlatha" as well and it's definitely unworn. However, my pair comes with the altered heel as well while it does not have the glued-on aftermarket sole.

I just don't get it. Why take off the orignal heel and replace it with a higher one plus a "Ludwig Reiter" brass piece? Why glue a massive additional Rendenbach sole onto a brand new shoe when it happens to destroy the EG-typical embossing? It can't have been the dealer, because a dealer would order double leather soles as well as heel or toe caps right from EG instead of having them attached later.

Any thoughts?

12. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

welcome back dude

13. aportnoy

Wow, this is one mystery I'll just have to live with being unsolved. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy wearing the shoes.

14. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

I wonder when those photos are going to be retracted.[​IMG]

15. sysdoc

sysdoc Well-Known Member

I wonder when those photos are going to be retracted.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] They aren't mine ... guess they are Zlatha's. You might want to ask her, dude. [​IMG]

16. sysdoc

sysdoc Well-Known Member

@Andrew

Seriously, these shoes are unworn and they are authentic. I checked with the factory months ago.

There's no need to throw them away or to put them on the BBQ. In fact, I suppose EG could put them back into their original state once you grew tired of the evident changes or in fact wore off the sole or the caps.

As I said, I own a pair of those strangely altered EGs. I had no intention of putting yours down. However, I wonder if anyone can come up with a good idea/speculation why the shoes have been altered. Zlatha has not given me any explanations.

17. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

First time seeing the Holcot myself, is it new or an old model?

18. aportnoy

Bill, I believe the Holcot was introduced at the trunk shows in November, 2005.

19. sysdoc

sysdoc Well-Known Member

Well done! [​IMG]

20. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

For reasons that I do not understand, there seems to be a trend in Germany to glue an additional sole underneath the original "to protect the seams". We've all seen these "˜Topis', but in Germany they glue real leather underneath as well. Very strange.

Even stranger is the stock of that particular German seller. He/she offered at least a dozen pairs of EG shoes (different styles), all the same size 8 / 8½ E, all brand new and all modified with metal toe and heals. Some had the metal toe tip set into the original sole, others had an additional sole glued over. I wonder where he/she got those shoes from. Very, very strange.

Tony Gaziano now uses these very same toe plates for his bespoke shoes:
    [​IMG]

This is due to yours truly. When I had my shoes made, I said to Tony I preferred those plates and gave him the web-site of the German ironware manufacturers that produces them. (They are so much prettier than the standard ones.)
    [​IMG]

http://www.gowi.de/

When I saw Tony a few weeks later, he grumbled: "Got those plates, but had to buy a whole box. I suppose, I'll have to use them up now."

So until that box is used up (I have no idea how many they contained), all of Tony's shoes will have those metal plates (as do the pairs TimelessRider has just received).