• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These two Chinese women always walk loops around my hallway every afternoon, speaking loudly in Mandarin. They don't work in this building and there's nothing special about my hall. It doesn't even have windows. Why are they here? Why are they annoying me and everyone else by taking their leisure walk by people's offices? Why don't they ever go outside?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

These two Chinese women always walk loops around my hallway every afternoon, speaking loudly in Mandarin. They don't work in this building and there's nothing special about my hall. It doesn't even have windows. Why are they here? Why are they annoying me and everyone else by taking their leisure walk by people's offices? Why don't they ever go outside?

Let's look at the facts:

1) Don't work in your building. Salient point: neither does their boss then most likely.
2) No windows. Said boss can't seem them walking when they should be working.
3) Why don't they go outside? Their boss might see them.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This photoshoot doesn't make any sense:
http://www.chubbiesshorts.com/products/the-zillionaires#.

Why is the boat flying its spinnaker (big colorful sail made for moving fast downwind) but not its main sail?
Why is a man jumping off of a boat that is ostensibly moving fast down wind away from him?
Why would I want to buy a swimsuit from a company named Chubbies?

And just for @EMartNJ--is that spinnaker photoshopped in? I can't see anything holding the tack in place...but maybe that guy is just standing in front of it.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Let's look at the facts:

1) Don't work in your building. Salient point: neither does their boss then most likely.
2) No windows. Said boss can't seem them walking when they should be working.
3) Why don't they go outside? Their boss might see them.

Odds are good they're bench scientists, which means they're pretty much totally unsupervised. I ******** right off and go do whatever I want most of the time. I'll go read outside, go walk around, hell, even gone to the liquor store for a break. Ain't nobody care about that as long as you get work done.

We also have like 15 buildings, so they could have their pick.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Odds are good they're bench scientists, which means they're pretty much totally unsupervised. I ******** right off and go do whatever I want most of the time. I'll go read outside, go walk around, hell, even gone to the liquor store for a break. Ain't nobody care about that as long as you get work done.

We also have like 15 buildings, so they could have their pick.

Okay, new answer: they want to double tag you?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yo, squash that boat talk. Owning a boat is at the top of my very short list of deep regrets.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This photoshoot doesn't make any sense:
http://www.chubbiesshorts.com/products/the-zillionaires#.

Why is the boat flying its spinnaker (big colorful sail made for moving fast downwind) but not its main sail?
Why is a man jumping off of a boat that is ostensibly moving fast down wind away from him?
Why would I want to buy a swimsuit from a company named Chubbies?

And just for @EMartNJ --is that spinnaker photoshopped in? I can't see anything holding the tack in place...but maybe that guy is just standing in front of it.

I'm cringing so hard at that picture. Look at the flags on the front of the mast too, there is no situation where those would be flying straight to the bow.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

huge, huge, hassle. All of it, cabin cruiser or 14' pond skipper. Even undoing the 87 buttons for the protective cover is a hassle ... and then reconnecting them after all day on the water is an even bigger hassle. And all of it is $$$$$. it's a blast, but just remember that its all a giant and expensive headache.
Oh, I know. I spent a fair bit of time on boats when I was a kid, and I remember all the hassle and such. There is much planning to be done, and accounting for the cost and pain of it all might mean it continues to be pushed into the future. However, I love being on water so much that I can't imagine there won't come a time in my life where I have a boat, especially because I want my kids to have some of the experiences I did. I know enough to know what a pain it is, but I think I'll probably hit a point where it's worth it. FWIW, one of my retirement goals is to do the Great Loop, if that gives any indication of how much I want to be on a boat.
I think Mr. G should buy a foiling Moth. Great for the kids!
Despite my love of boats and the water, and having spent a good amount of my formative years on boats, I know very little about sailing. I would really love to learn, but I've always been exposed to power boats. I know that I'm supposed to yield to y'all when you're under sail, but that's about it. The only experience I've had on a sailboat was on one of those small catamarans with the canvas "deck" when I was about 12. Something broke on the sail, which swung around, knocked me across the canvas, and into the water.
Hate to say it...but unless your boat is so big that it requires a giant pickup (something like a 10 meter+ sailboat...don't know where motorboat sizes fall), there are some minivans that are pretty solid boat movers. They can have issues with ramp launches if they are FWD (crane launches, no biggy), but the Toyota Sienna has AWD and tow package is now standard (****** cooler and wiring) although I think you still need to get a decent hitch. Can tow something like 3500lbs. Then you've got plenty of gear room inside...and if you are a racing sailor that makes the drive nonstop with crew...you've got plenty of room to ditch seats and lay down a futon in the back to rotate between sleeping/passenger/driving.
This is all true, but it doesn't explain why any of the vehicles you mentioned would be more appropriate for me than a truck if I'm in the market for a vehicle anyway. If the wife already has a minivan, and I'm going to buy something, why not buy the vehicle I want? Bear in mind that I don't live in an urban area and drive less than 15 miles total on an average day. There's also a better-than-average chance that I'll have a fair bit of land when I buy a house, and I like to do stuff like camping and kayaking where the space in a truck bed would be nice. Also, big trucks are sweet. I'd be lying if I said part of the appeal isn't just a somewhat-juvenile love of trucks. If I'm gonna spend a ton of money on a new car, I might as well get what I want.
Yo, squash that boat talk. Owning a boat is at the top of my very short list of deep regrets.
:laugh: Two best days of a boat owner's life, and all that?

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

people who own fancy boats but live miles away from any water source.

The idea of having to haul a boat to the water is just dumb.

This. I grew up on boats as well. If you're going to have a boat be able to afford a nice boat.. and if you can afford a nice boat you keep it in the water… with dock help. boom.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The whole women who instagram pictures of themselves without make up like it's a big deal, if men did that everyone would be like, idiot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads