• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have comparison vass u and F last vs the rain last? (I have the F, but not the U, and I want to compare the chisel in reference to the U last and Rain last)

U last is very narrow. Standard F width is okay for me except instep girth need more room at 43F. But for U last, it's still very narrow after I size up half and go wide, 43.5G.

Ecstasy

Reaction score

I just went and measured the width of the outsole at its widest point on a pair of U and F last shoes.  Exactly the same.

Seems to me that the U last has a straight line from the widest point to the toe tip, while the F last has a very gentle curve towards the tip.

So perhaps when we say the U last is narrow, we mean it is too narrow to accommodate the toes relative to the other parts of the foot? Someone else mentioned a toe break problem.

wqvong

Reaction score
Wondering if someone can help me out. If i wear Alden 9.5 D/E barrie or kent wang 10D handmade grade last what size should I get for Peter Last?

rc121

Reaction score
Since we are comparing lasts, what lasts would have a wider instep/midfoot width than the F last? Recently got my first pair of F last and they fit very well everywhere except they are pretty snug around the laces but roomy in the toes. I'm thinking about ordering a norweger and wanted to know if I stick with the same size or need to go up .5 in the peter or p2. And I know someone will suggest going up a width, so I will mention that my F last are in H width which is the widest they can be made.
thanks

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Since we are comparing lasts, what lasts would have a wider instep/midfoot width than the F last? Recently got my first pair of F last and they fit very well everywhere except they are pretty snug around the laces but roomy in the toes. I'm thinking about ordering a norweger and wanted to know if I stick with the same size or need to go up .5 in the peter or p2. And I know someone will suggest going up a width, so I will mention that my F last are in H width which is the widest they can be made.
thanks

By way of comparison, I tried a standard F, and it fit almost well enough except that the instep was tight. I could get into it, but it could have used maybe 1cm more at the top of the laces, plus a bit more over the rest.

Normally, I fit a P2 pretty well (good instep, decently roomy toe, if quite flat in between).

The 3636 has even a bit more room than that, and would be my first choice if uncomplicated comfort were the only criterion-- an oxford on that last fits as well on the laces as good London bespoke. The Norweger is one of the more attractive options for 3636. As on most others, of course. So maybe that would be one to try.

Last edited:

rc121

Reaction score
thanks for the info concordia.

Just wanted some opinions on what models you guys might think would help round out my small but growing shoe collection. Until getting my OEII in oxblood, I've been an AE guy (because of the availability of 3E fitting) and have a chocolate larchmont, chili grain mcclain and walnut strand. I've been thinking about doing some sort of derby (3 eyelet london or norweger) in either a scotch grain or museum calf (for the london). I don't wear suits for work, just slacks and a nice dress shirt so I don't want anything too dressy. Are there any other models I am missing that I should be considering?

Also, I currently don't have any non-leather soled shoes for inclement weather. What are vass's options? I have seen they don't like to do dainite.

thanks for the help, I'm having the hardest time making a decision with so many different options available

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Hello.

I have a secondhand pair of Vass Budapest brown ankle boots in my size that I like a lot. They are a size EUR 44, but I cannot make out which last they are on. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
smile.gif

-M-

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's F. Not square enough for U. But then again, will all the creasing, hard to make out

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads