• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I'm a very happy camper.

So you should be - they look even better "on the hoof". How you're wearing them helps, but as someone who's a bit ambivalent about double monks (really wearable, or just an i-gent fad?), I think these look absolutely tip-top. Well done, Sir.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you should be - they look even better "on the hoof". How you're wearing them helps, but as someone who's a bit ambivalent about double monks (really wearable, or just an i-gent fad?), I think these look absolutely tip-top. Well done, Sir.

Thanks Mimo. I understand that double-monks aren't for everyone, but I've been wearing them long before the term i-Gent emerged into the contemporary lexicon. I've had one pair in the rotation for about as long as I can remember. Not what I would recommend as a first good shoe, but a nice way to add some variety to the more conservative Oxfords and Derbys.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I agree - I bought some once and then sold them because they didn't fit. But even then ( they were navy, nice actually) I had them in mind as casual alternatives rather than work-wear rotation. And i'm a guy who wears spectators! I also wear a black single monk as a slightly smarter slip-on alternative to loafers.

But, quite literally, your pic above has sold me for the first time on the double monk as formal shoe. Thanks. I think. Now that's something else I have to buy...yeah thanks a bunch. Asshole.
lol8[1].gif

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But, quite literally, your pic above has sold me for the first time on the double monk as formal shoe. Thanks. I think. Now that's something else I have to buy...yeah thanks a bunch. Asshole.
lol8[1].gif

Guilty as charged!
nod[1].gif
If you wear spectators, a nice pair of double-monks will not require a leap of faith.

Last edited:

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spectators are quite classic actually. Been worn for a long time. Though it might strike some people as being costumey and thus in the same shoe category as the double monks. However, historically, the spectators have been around since the 1800s

Are there nice ones on an elegant last around though? I have the Allen Edmonds Broadstreet in dark brown and I wear them typically with linen trousers.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/73202/spectator-Appreciation/435#post_5766923

Wonder if Vass does it.

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spectators are quite classic actually. Been worn for a long time. Though it might strike some people as being costumey and thus in the same shoe category as the double monks. However, historically, the spectators have been around since the 1800s

Oh no doubt it's a classic design - but a bold choice today nonetheless. The same or more so than double-monks? I'm not sure.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score

Are there nice ones on an elegant last around though? I have the Allen Edmonds Broadstreet in dark brown and I wear them typically with linen trousers.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/73202/spectator-Appreciation/435#post_5766923

Wonder if Vass does it.

There are a couple of mine in that same thread - last page.

But as for Vass spectators, I don't know. There are some brilliant ones a couple of pages back (RogerP's three-colour specials), and the great thing about Vass is that they make whatever you want, so pick your colours and styles and knock yourself out!

I've never seen any canvas ones like mine (Cheaney for Herring, both pairs) from Vass, but I'm sure it's worth asking the question if that's your thing.

Last edited:

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh no doubt it's a classic design - but a bold choice today nonetheless.  The same or more so than double-monks?  I'm not sure.

It IS a bold choice today. That's what I meant when I said that it might strike some as being constumey.

I think that whether it's the exact same as double monks or not isn't what I'm getting at. I'm just saying that I, personally, would put them in a general category of shoes that are louder -- I hope that much is clear. I can elaborate on this but I think I shall just leave it there.

There are a couple of mine in that same thread - last page.

But as for Vass spectators, I don't know. There are some brilliant ones a couple of pages back (RogerP's three-colour specials), and the great thing about Vass is that they make whatever you want, so pick your colours and styles and knock yourself out!

I've never seen any canvas ones like mine (Cheaney for Herring, both pairs) from Vass, but I'm sure it's worth asking the question if that's your thing.

I seem to remember Carmina having smth similar in canvas! But the canvas specs are certainly unique. I prefer a two-tone version myself.

I shall see what Vass can do. They seem to be pretty on the ball.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It IS a bold choice today. That's what I meant when I said that it might strike some as being constumey.

I think that whether it's the exact same as double monks or not isn't what I'm getting at. I'm just saying that I, personally, would put them in a general category of shoes that are louder -- I hope that much is clear. I can elaborate on this but I think I shall just leave it there.
I seem to remember Carmina having smth similar in canvas! But the canvas specs are certainly unique. I prefer a two-tone version myself.

I shall see what Vass can do. They seem to be pretty on the ball.

I like the idea of canvas spectators. If you do end up asking about that particular variation on the style, please let us know what you find out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads