• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Collection of Shoe Appreciation

TKDKid

Reaction score
Ah, so good to have this thread back...

sysdoc - nice shoes and pics, as always.
thumbs-up.gif

Can just about see the heel counters on your new shoes - they seem to be very thin...?

sysdoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
You better watch out, sysdoc!
rot1.gif

Bengal, it's grand to see you in such a good mood!
colgate.gif
Everyone seems so excited ... one wonders if regular SF downtimes might have an actual therapeutical value ...
wink.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sysdoc, thanks for posting those EGs! I've been wanting to see a high-res pic of the ladbrokes for a while.
I think I'm going to make ladbrokes my first pair of EGs at the trunk show in April. Which finish is that btw?
Also, would you happen to have have pics of a plain EG wholecut? I'm considering that or a Newbury as the second shoe I'm going to order.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will definitely be going with the 888 last. I'm going to do the ladbroke in burnt pine w/o medallion. Do they have a 3-eyelet wholecut? Btw, do you have any suggestions besides the newbury for the second shoe in my order? My knowledge of EG models is based on the sky valet site and I don't know if it's a comprehensive listing... I'm primarily a sportsjacket kinda guy. Everyone recommends the Dover, but I'm not in love with it like I am the Ladbroke.

sysdoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I will definitely be going with the 888 last. I'm going to do the ladbroke in burnt pine w/o medallion. Do they have a 3-eyelet wholecut?
AFAIK not in their normal program. Maybe as made-to-order? Anyone? Bengal?

water

Reaction score
Sysdoc, the JL Sandon and C&J Cleveland are both stunning.

And the bottle is Tanqueray No.10. Do I win the Clevelands?

sysdoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by water
Sysdoc, the JL Sandon and C&J Cleveland are both stunning. And the bottle is Tanqueray No.10. Do I win the Clevelands?
Tanqueray No. 10 it is.
thumbsup5ae.gif
You have an excellent eye, water!

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Do they have a 3-eyelet wholecut?

Not in their regular lineup, to my knowledge, but they should be able to do it as a special order. IMMSMC, RJman had a 4-eyelet Newbury made as a special, and a 3-eyelet version would be even easier to do than a 4-eyelet version.

Btw, do you have any suggestions besides the newbury for the second shoe in my order? My knowledge of EG models is based on the sky valet site and I don't know if it's a comprehensive listing... I'm primarily a sportsjacket kinda guy. Everyone recommends the Dover, but I'm not in love with it like I am the Ladbroke.
Sky Valet's site consists of scans from the most recent EG catalogue, and the catalogue isn't comprehensive by any stretch of the imagination. EG must have dozens of designs in their archives that aren't included in any catalogue, and they can do special orders for any of them. I know of no comprehensive listing of everything that is available. It seems to me that EG could ignite a feeding frenzy if they just put up a list with descriptions on their website, and I know that a number of people have told Tony Gaziano so. Unfortunately, they haven't heeded the advice.

If you don't really love Dover, then don't get it. It's one of my favorite shoes, but you'd be wearing the shoes, not me. You might want to consider one of EG's Adelaide (U-throat) models like Canterbury or Lichfield. Adelaides are a bit unusual, and I think that they make for a cleaner-looking half-brogue than the traditional design.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sysdoc
[*]The Italian shoe makers started the trend of wide welts, so nowadays it has become hip to have a wide welt. EG has so far not succumbed to this trend.[/list]One of my 500-something posts that died with the former SF-HDD showed a comparison of EG's Ladbroke with JL's Vintage 2004. The two are rather similar, but the JL has a significantly wider welt.

Whoa, Nelly! While the Italians certainly have done a lot to popularize the wider welt, recall that American companies did so some five to six decades ago. Florsheim is perhaps the best example, though Johnston&Murphy also had a number of wider-welt models. Witness the following:

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by water
Sysdoc, the JL Sandon and C&J Cleveland are both stunning.

agreed wholeheartedly - i thought the same thing. also really like that Newbury 606.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Whoa, Nelly! While the Italians certainly have done a lot to popularize the wider welt, recall that American companies did so some five to six decades ago. Florsheim is perhaps the best example, though Johnston&Murphy also had a number of wider-welt models. Witness the following:

Here is an English oldie with a somewhat wide welt and a very very thick sole John McHale it be called.

DSCN0973.jpg

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those are great! they kick doc martens' ass! (asses?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads