• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Collection of Shoe Appreciation

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
How many people on this forum have contemplated learning Japanese on account of these magazines?

My sentiments, exactly.

sysdoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lionel
As promised in my latest reply, a picture of my "antiqued" EG Dover 606 Dark Oak with double sole. The leather was lighten using aceton and bleach. The shoes have some dust on them, they have spent the whole winter in th box. They can't wait to go out!
pict64921tf.jpg

Lionel, this pair looks stunning!
thumbs-up.gif
Did you use your preferred Burgol wax? How exactly did you apply the bleach and how did you control its effect?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
The C&J HG Cleveland is absolutely exquisite, and I would love to grab myself a pair. Can anyone provide me more info on this shoe (I see the above post talks about "last" - please elaborate) or more info on C&J in general?

I'm out in California, and my initial web searches for this shoe have been fruitless. I can't even find it on their website! Any suggestions?

I got my pair of dark oak Clevelands from a French store's website, La Botte Chantilly. Expect to pay about 500 euros, shipping included.

Here's the link:

http://www.la-botte.com/4DCGI/voir_u...0Jones/Homme/1

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Aportnoy!

Couple more questions if you don't mind. As of late, I think my foot has gone from a 11 to 11.5 in some makes, so I hesitate to buy any expensive dress shoe online. Do you know any dept. stores in CA that may carry C&Js so I can try on the brand to get an idea of whether I fit into 11s or 11.5 generally (even if they don't carry the Cleveland - this assumes that all C&J models fit the same).

Or,

I will be heading out to Paris for a few days in Aug. Would you suggest I just check out the C&J there before purchasing?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Barney's in Beverly Hills is carrying the C&J Stanley blucher in dark brown suede right now. I believe that it's on the 337 last.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the world of fancy shoes. Excuse my naivete.

Is this "last" thing the form the shoe is made on?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm new to the world of fancy shoes. Excuse my naivete.

Is this "last" thing the form the shoe is made on?

Yes, see you're catching on to the lingo quickly. The 337 last can be found anywhere that sells C&J handgrade shoes. The 350 is much more difficult, if not impossible, to find in the US. I'm a US 8.5D and I take a UK7.5E on the 337 and an UK8E on the 350.

lionel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sysdoc
Lionel,

this pair looks stunning!
thumbs-up.gif

Did you use your preferred Burgol wax? How exactly did you apply the bleach and how did you control its effect?

Hi Sysdoc,

Thank you for the kind words.

This is my method concerning this pair:

1. I stripped the old wax/cream off using aceton. You have to rub hard so that leather gets lighter. Especially with Dark Oak leather.

2. Bleach. I didn't use a lot of it; the key word here is water:
- I dilute the bleach with water (1/3 water and 2/3 bleach) and
- very important, I washed the shoes with water two or three times. If you don't do that, the bleach will leave white spots on the shoes and you can say good-bye to them.
I only applied bleach to the toe area as I didn't want a pair of Berluti.

3. I let the shoes dry a certain time (one full day at least).

4. Bleach is very aggressive to the leather, you have make it feel better. I used the Saphir MÃ
00a9.png
daille d'Or RÃ
00a9.png
novateur à l'huile de vison
, a minkoil renovator, so that the shoes get a smooth finish again.

5. Then I have coated the shoes with cream. I used something dark, as I didn't want the shoes to be too bright. Here I used Saphir Crème Surfine in the "Rouge Hermès" colour. I let the shoe cream set for a few hours - I let it sit overnight.

6. Finally the wax. First I applied blue Saphir Pâte de Luxe to make the shoes less red and then I made them shine using my Burgol wax, which stinks but allows great shines.

I am sorry for the poor quality of the language. I hope you can understand it.

Lionel

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sysdoc
A little bit of shoe Appreciation for your viewing pleasure ...

satshoes9nl.jpg

top: JL Gamay
bottom, from left to right: C&J HG Ormond, JL Sandon, C&J HG Cleveland, JL Westminster

Right out of the box ... not yet polished.

cjormond5do.jpg

jlsandon8se.jpg

cjcleveland28fs.jpg

jlwestminster7my.jpg

Is there anybody able to identify the bottle in the first picture?
wink.gif

This should be a sticky for every newbie who asks: "what do you think of brown shoes?"

If they don't get it after viewing this post, then J cuts off their access.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Grenson Masterpiece Butterfly Loafer freshly polished with Saphir dark brown

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It appears I'm set on picking up a pair of C&Js either on the 350 or 348 lasts. Besides the C&J store in Paris, can anyone tell me what other options I have in Paris for a large (relatively speaking) selection of C&Js? I plan to head out there some time in the summer. I'll also be in Eastern Europe (Prague, Budapest) and Japan. If anyone has advice on those areas at all, that would be great too.

Cheers.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It appears I'm set on picking up a pair of C&Js either on the 350 or 348 lasts. Besides the C&J store in Paris, can anyone tell me what other options I have in Paris for a large (relatively speaking) selection of C&Js? I plan to head out there some time in the summer. I'll also be in Eastern Europe (Prague, Budapest) and Japan. If anyone has advice on those areas at all, that would be great too.

Cheers.

Budapest...
lookaround.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
aportnoy,

what do you mean by that??

Home of Vass shoes. Some, including me, would label these among the most glorious shoes on the planet. Not only that, they are avilable at the Vass shop for about 1/2 of what they cost here.

Whet your appetite here:

http://www.vass-shoes.com/shoes.htm

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members