• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Terrible Fashion Blog Thread

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It would be very difficult to teach a client the many rules, suggestions and details of style/fashion, and while you can teach people basic stuff and give them some base items and outfits, there's a lot more to learn. Admittedly that AlphaM guy fails here because he takes random guys for one trip, buys them stuff and puts some outfits together, and when they get home those guys are probably going to revert to what they feel comfortable in, or they won't know how to coordinate the stuff they got. He films it, gets sponsored, his sponsors get advertised and the guys seemingly get helped.
 The big magazines and sites like GQ or Esquire or Ask Men do this the most, promoting styles and items as "The hottest stuff you have to have right now!", etc because of the brand new sponsorship they got from some company.Sure there's tons of smaller blogs that do this too, but there's lots of blogs putting out good stuff that's helpful to noobs like me and others, and sure, they advertise or have affiliates but IMO it doesn't feel pushy or profit-centered.
Dappered has something about this:http://dappered.com/ftc-disclosure/

It is. That's why money is charged. Also, that's a reason there are lengthy free articles on the website.

It seems with almost all blogs and completely free sources, people are kept dependent and never get all the way to very knowledgeable about style themselves. Also, because 'noobs' often can't tell good from bad, this thread does a public service, even if it's mean at times. A good forum is maybe the one free source where, occasionally and after a long time of active usage (plus probably some mistake purchases), a person can become almost a style expert.

Last edited:

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to report that City of Gentlemen is still going strong.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will check this when I get home. As for Alpha M, I sub to his youtube channel. He does post alot of decent material that I don't mind.

I wouldn't pay for his service though, where he takes a client and does a make over.

UserName84

Reaction score
IMG_7250.JPG

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Love it, cog will never give up.

I was low-key hoping this thread was going to be bumped with his swaggerness.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Dude, your website is possibly the worst I've seen all year, it looks like something from the late 90's.

Didn't you hear that retro web design inspired by the 90s is hot?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/fashion/90s-web-design.html

Excerpt:
To navigate the website for Arcade Fire’s coming album, “Everything Now,” users need to click through a cluttered cascade of Windows 98-style pop-ups.

Balenciaga’s new website looks as stripped down as a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, with plain black boxes and no-frills Arial font.

And the D.I.Y.-looking home page for Solange resembles the desktop of a candy-colored iMac, complete with QuickTime windows and rows of blue folders.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
oh man you fuckin made my day bro, was praying he hadn't given up the fight

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
COG!!!!

SD now? Unbelievable, I can feel his aura.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with @robinsongreen68 and @Fuuma - this is a long way from the genuinely terrible looks COG used to promote. Looking through the blog, however, I m not sure he has learned any general lessons, he just happens to have got this one (almost) right...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads