• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Terrible Fashion Blog Thread

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

City of Gentleman, here comes a new challenger.

these people know this **** is on its way out, right?

at this point they're the fashion equivalent of japanese holdouts

Last edited:

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eh. remember how we all laughed at that other guy, 'til someone noticed he had 120k followers on instagram

jokb

Reaction score
Please do not think this is representative of Toronto:

Toronto Fashion Week

I just saw this thread and completely agree that this does not represent Toronto. There are forum members here from Toronto that dress better in their daily routing then the men here.

Prudy

Reaction score

dragos25

Reaction score
I used to watch that guy AlphaM's videos when I got interested in style, and yea, he's a businessman and seems like a bit of a guido, but he's enthusiastic, positive and gives some good style and life advice, especially for beginners. However, some of his style choices are dubious at best: tank tops, jorts, flip flops, chunky sneakers...
As for the "AlphaM makeover", I thought that was free, since he has a little contest with auditions, and If you win you get a "consultation" and about 600$ worth of JC Penney stuff. The heavy sponsoships should cover that.
Same for Dan Trepannier/ The Style Blogger- most of his stuff is cool , but he does mess up pretty bad sometimes .
I don't get the hate these two guys get
nest.gif

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The self-promotion, high prices, sponsorships, bland styles mixed with sometime dubious personal tastes.... Of course some might then say yours truly promotes blandness or is lousy in other ways (certainly isn't perfect) - for sometimes people just like being critical.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score

I used to  watch that guy AlphaM's videos when I got interested in style, and yea, he's a businessman and seems like a bit of a guido, but he's enthusiastic, positive and gives some good style and life advice, especially for beginners. However, some of his style choices are dubious at best: tank tops, jorts, flip flops, chunky sneakers...
As for the "AlphaM makeover", I thought that was free, since he has a little contest with auditions, and If you win you get a "consultation" and about 600$ worth of JC Penney stuff. The heavy sponsoships should cover that.
Same for Dan Trepannier/ The Style Blogger- most of his stuff is cool , but he does mess up pretty bad sometimes .
I don't get the hate these two guys get :nest:

get outta here, AlphaM

dragos25

Reaction score
It's very interesting to see dubious or just unusual fashion choices tried on by "fashion bloggers", even if you might never wear such things. Not to sound stoned or anything, but it opens up your mind, man and makes you a bit more creative. I've seen color combos work that I wouldn't have thought of. or weird layering or something and it prevents me from falling into a routine and being unimaginative with the stuff I have.
As for self-promotion and sponsorships, everybody's doing what they can to stay afloat... It's fine. And for people that have money but no time or interest in building a wardrobe or learning about style, an image consultant is a valuable professional, like a barber, and the amount he charges can vary a lot...
Just my 0.02 cents

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's very interesting to see dubious or just unusual fashion choices tried on by "fashion bloggers", even if you might never wear such things. Not to sound stoned or anything, but it opens up your mind, man and makes you a bit more creative. I've seen color combos work that I wouldn't have thought of. or weird layering or something and it prevents me from falling into a routine and being unimaginative with the stuff I have.
As for self-promotion and sponsorships, everybody's doing what they can to stay afloat... It's fine. And for people that have money but no time or interest in building a wardrobe or learning about style, an image consultant is a valuable professional, like a barber, and the amount he charges can vary a lot...
Just my 0.02 cents

No complaint about the "image consultant is a valuable professional" part, but the equation of that with not learning shouldn't be reality. A style professional should teach (in a fast, understandable way). If he or she is just saying Wear this or that, even if it looks okay, in the long run it's probably a disservice to the client. Most blogs are even worse than that, just looks that the blogger probably wants viewers to emulate, worst of all when they are stealth paid endorsements and/or in poor taste, hence this thread. Edit: also there's a natural human hostility toward an "I'm better than you" vibe and people are eager to down those whose superiority seems imaginary.

Last edited:

dragos25

Reaction score
It would be very difficult to teach a client the many rules, suggestions and details of style/fashion, and while you can teach people basic stuff and give them some base items and outfits, there's a lot more to learn. Admittedly that AlphaM guy fails here because he takes random guys for one trip, buys them stuff and puts some outfits together, and when they get home those guys are probably going to revert to what they feel comfortable in, or they won't know how to coordinate the stuff they got. He films it, gets sponsored, his sponsors get advertised and the guys seemingly get helped.
The big magazines and sites like GQ or Esquire or Ask Men do this the most, promoting styles and items as "The hottest stuff you have to have right now!", etc because of the brand new sponsorship they got from some company.Sure there's tons of smaller blogs that do this too, but there's lots of blogs putting out good stuff that's helpful to noobs like me and others, and sure, they advertise or have affiliates but IMO it doesn't feel pushy or profit-centered.
Dappered has something about this:http://dappered.com/ftc-disclosure/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads