1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Chiming in to congratulate GMMcL on a spectacular haul. Wow! So many beautiful pieces....

2. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

3. sn0wman

sn0wman Well-Known Member

So... been a week since I hit one of my favorite holes and the lady says "Hey, we received some fancy ties and put them over here. We looked them up and had to price them higher than normal." Had a number of Brioni ties at $15 each. These were the less hideous of the batch. The "oil slick" one on the right, I'm keeping.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh.. and my first Barbour item that I would actually think about wearing. But after getting home, I realized that the zipper was on the wrong side. They don't sell XL for women do they?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  4. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys!

Funny part is I'm almost as excited about the 7 wide shoulder hangers I snagged. All free. Put them to use right away. And had to take 3 SCs out of the closet because there's literally no room. Soon to be available....

5. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

Barbour, being English, puts zippers on the "wrong" side. I won't say anything about those ties.

6. catside

catside Well-Known Member

Nice finds GMMcL. Dropped in for vets day sale. Was crazy crowded. Nothing in the store: an Oxxford suit, couple of HF Bespoke suits, and many high quality orphans, a pair of dead Aldens. Under 10 bucks but would require an hour wait to pay and none fit. Unusually low priced though.Walked straight out. Loss of time. Hopefully will lead way for new stuff.

7. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

8. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

Today has been great. Nice pulls guys!

9. almosthandsome

almosthandsome Well-Known Member

You jerks had me out tonight looking for this Filson that is apparently raining down like manna from heaven [​IMG]

Did grab this Golden Bear in great shape for $15. Haven't had a leather jacket since the cat got upset with our house-guests a few years back and pissed on my old one.
    Yeah, dirty mirror.
    [​IMG]
    Rest is thrifted, of course: woolrich, j. crew, west is dead

1 person likes this.
  10. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

Me too! This page alone is remarkable in its awesomeness.

And when Spoo starts to talk about his personal baggage, take him literally!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  11. sparrow

Probably the same/ similar
    But it was the whole package, nice cut, amazing fabric near rlbl quality, good colors , thick mop, little details like the collar stay that I miss. Ill still get br but it's not WoW, more like nice .

12. sparrow

Judging from his posts it's not an accident

1 person likes this.
  13. tben

tben Well-Known Member

e-thrift
    [​IMG]

And...sorry mainy. There is still a lot of life left in these. I am wearing them as beaters bu they have been fantastic so far.
    [​IMG]

14. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Heads up, fellow anti-retailers. Unless mine eyes do deceive me, Charles Tyrwhitt has true grenadine in a variety of styles and colors for $40 each (if you buy 2). The irony is they're not listed as gren, and (some of) the more expensive ones listed as gren aren't -- again, unless the pictures are misleading me.

http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-ties/Plain-royal-woven-tie-?q=usddefault||TW320RYL|||||||||||||

I had a coupon, so I used it to order 2. I will let everyone know whether they're true gren when they arrive.

15. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  16. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

17. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

Wow, that's incredible. From your description I was expecting a DIY-guide type thing, but that's not remotely DIY. Guy is a true artisan. :)

18. tben

tben Well-Known Member

I think your eyes are deceiving you. Those look like woven ties, not grenadines.

19. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Same. I really enjoyed seeing this—everyone should check it out. Made me wish I knew how to make something by hand.

+1. I got one of these on a buy-X-shirts-get-a-free-tie deal a while back. Definitely woven, though they do sell grenadines.

20. jebarne

jebarne Well-Known Member

Those are good widths....Most of the ones they advertise as Gren. are very narrow. I ended up ordering mine from Kent Wang.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.