• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randomore

Reaction score
Couple Rack pick ups. All under 15$ each :)

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tie steaming results:

Before:

After, sorry for the sideways pic.

This is what I used, also thrifted. :D

danne888

Reaction score
My girlfriend is visisting a friend this weekend. So I opened a bottle of red wine and started taking pictures of my jackets and suits which I found the last couple of months. They may be avaliable for trade if I get a good offer. Im on the lookout for a grey staple suit. Pm me if you are interested in anything.

Canali (Orphan?), it will most defiently work as a sc anyway. Its mid/ligh grey Flanell.

Im sure this is an orphan and im not really sure why i even bought it but i guess it wil work as an sc aswell. Mid/dark grey

This one im in love with, its 100 % Cashmere from Zegna, fully canvassed and SUPER soft.

This isnt a great quality suit, its glued but i love the cut and colour. Its also a perfect fit off the rack without any alterations. Do you guys have any idea who the maker is? Guabello is just the cloth, right?

orphan once again but i just couldnt leave a Ravazollo, im still hoping i will find the pants :)

Perfect fit of the rack, replaced the buttons with horn buttons. Rose and Born is a swedish brand which are semi-canvassed. Loving this one as well :)

Im gonna change the plastic buttons to gold ones

I have never heard of Zegna Heritage before and couldnt find super much info about when i tried to google it. How is the line quality wise?

Zegna SC. need to have the waist supressed.

Z-Zegna suit, brown/greyish, pretty hard to describe the colour but i think its a pretty nice colour.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't get multi to work on my sister in laws iPad.
Anyway: to those who denigrated the cravat tie with tux idea, sure, the purists might hate it. But then again, my feeling for them is generally mutual. Also, the notion that a cravat and tux is nontraditional, I say google pics from the 1940s involving bogie and from the 50s involving Sinatra. Plenty of straight black ties with tuxes.
With the otter pic: why? Rlpl for embroidery? Is that a hipster thing?
And as for foo, why did I detect a note of terror in hans's description of him? Yes, he's a major contributor, and has a very strongly held view based on lots of experience. But he's also highly caustic, and not a little intolerant of difference. I'm sure that will get me banned, but so what; live free or die.
Next, those prl finds (suited and gmh) are awesome! Super jelly and strongly fighting pm-ing suited asking for sizes and measurements.
Finally, as for who recommended the method for ties, I didn't recommend It. I tried it. To drastic results. I strongly recommend against.

Oh, and the London fog guy: welcome. Keep lurking and shopping. When you find a mackintosh, then you shall have achieved bragdom.

1 store for me today. Nada.

Last edited:

CesarC

Reaction score
Beautiful tie! A lot of the good vintage stuff around me is from that store, which was located in the DuPont building (notice that much of the wealthy-people stuff in Delaware is associated with that name). It's interesting to see something from around here made it all the way out there! Cool find, and lovely tie.

Not always, and definitely not only. I take a narrow width myself, though I think that higher-quality makers generally tend to use letter widths such as A,B,C rather than medium (M) or narrow (N).
Quick question for anyone who knows: Is "N" width always and only for women's shoes?
EDIT: To be clear, the N is indeed sometimes printed on men's shoes, just not frequently, and especially not recently since makers have reduced or stopped production of narrow shoes.

Last edited:

staxringold

Reaction score
Very solid day today. Left 4 multistripe Zegnas at a Savers. Nice condition, but not my size and wasn't hopeful I could resell as they were funky. Also a HSM Gold suit, wished it was my size but no. FInally, left the most hilariously bad Hermes fake I've ever seen. Fabric felt so cheap, the 2nd Hermes tag (with what looks like a fake price) on the wrong side... Just silly.

Anyways, popped my Salvatore Ferragamo cherry... Right alongside buying my first pair of thrift shoes!

Shirts (top-bottom, all available): RLPL, Canali, Zegna, Zegna Sport, Ascot Chang, Faconnable
Ties: Sulka x2 (not available), BB Makers (with a very VV pattern, possibly available)
Shoes (available): Salvatore Ferragamo single-monks, 9.5D
Other (not available): 2x set of shoe trees and a pair of Calvin Klein socks
Tagged L/G, measures 15.5x34

Tagged 17, measures 16.5x34

Tagged 17, measures 16.5x34

Measures 16x36

Measures 15x34

Measures 15x34

Normally don't go anywhere near the socks, but the glancing paid off here. Grabbed the socks for a quarter as they were like new and super soft.

staxringold

Reaction score
By the way, to any discussion (I think it was in this thread) of the 'finest' dress shirts? My vote is with RLPL right now. That shirt is so disgustingly soft... Why can't it be my size?!

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Tie steaming results:
Before:
After, sorry for the sideways pic.
This is what I used, also thrifted. :D
It's uncanny, I asked my wife whether we had a steamer to do a couple of ties. She responded by laughing, so I take that to mean I need to get one. You did a great job with them!
My girlfriend is visisting a friend this weekend. So I opened a bottle of red wine and started taking pictures of my jackets and suits which I found the last couple of months. They may be avaliable for trade if I get a good offer. Im on the lookout for a grey staple suit. Pm me if you are interested in anything.
Canali (Orphan?), it will most defiently work as a sc anyway. Its mid/ligh grey Flanell. Im sure this is an orphan and im not really sure why i even bought it but i guess it wil work as an sc aswell. Mid/dark grey This one im in love with, its 100 % Cashmere from Zegna, fully canvassed and SUPER soft. This isnt a great quality suit, its glued but i love the cut and colour. Its also a perfect fit off the rack without any alterations. Do you guys have any idea who the maker is? Guabello is just the cloth, right? orphan once again but i just couldnt leave a Ravazollo, im still hoping i will find the pants :) Perfect fit of the rack, replaced the buttons with horn buttons. Rose and Born is a swedish brand which are semi-canvassed. Loving this one as well :) Im gonna change the plastic buttons to gold ones I have never heard of Zegna Heritage before and couldnt find super much info about when i tried to google it. How is the line quality wise? Zegna SC. need to have the waist supressed. Z-Zegna suit, brown/greyish, pretty hard to describe the colour but i think its a pretty nice colour.
Some nice things in there! I hope you continue to participate as 1) I need some Europe based trading partners, and 2) someone in my time zone so I don't feel strange drinking in the evening while the rest of everyone here works :D
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't get multi to work on my sister in laws iPad.
I always have trouble multi-quoting on my iPad. Try changing it to the desktop version at the bottom to see if that helps. I think it's because of the double clicking.
With the otter pic: why? Rlpl for embroidery? Is that a hipster thing?
I was also curious, when I first read it I thought it was a joke :D No hate.
And as for foo, why did I detect a note of terror in hans's description of him? Yes, he's a major contributor, and has a very strongly held view based on lots of experience. But he's also highly caustic, and not a little intolerant of difference. I'm sure that will get me banned, but so what; live free or die.
Not so much terror, but I do really respect his detailed descriptions of things. He has sound logic, though he's a bit abrasive at times. I have to say that what he does, he (generally) does right. There are a number of 5k+ posters that still miss the mark with fit and colors. I am off base often, but he is pretty consistent and has a lot of good, sound information/logic to pass along. I also like a lot of the other big posters here, they've refined a lot of what they do into an efficient process.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads