• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Nice Danners, and the non-goretex version too, for warmer climates. Totally worth the re-craft if they fit you.

Jpmorris

Reaction score
Does the Stefano ricci shirt you thrifted today have octagonal MOP? Mine does ;)

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Danners, and the non-goretex version too, for warmer climates. Totally worth the re-craft if they fit you.

Well, I just found that the lining is totally gone in both heels! And they're a bit too small.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Well, I just found that the lining is totally gone in both heels! And they're a bit too small.

Eeek. Looking at $135 for the fix that includes lining...

LooknGr8

Reaction score

What's sad is Warren Sapp hasn't been out of football that long and he's already broke.

I don't know what's more awesome, that Sapp's bankrupt or that someone would pay that for those shoes.

On one hand it's sad.

On the other, considering what my parents are going through, what my inlaws parents will go through, and probably what I will go through financially...the state will own my life savings come nursing home time so what's wrong with living your life financially stupid but enjoying the moments with things you love?

That's my philosophy. Buy your kids fine stuff. Buy yourself fine stuff. Be the grasshopper, not the ant. We're cheap-ass grasshoppers, but grasshoppers nonetheless. Damn, I gotta look again at CapnWes's auctions and drop in a couple bids...see ya!

mjt73106

Reaction score

Did I miss the part where the OP said they were gonna flip them? Found the style they remind me of, though did go unsold at $175.
Condition, Condition, Condition, Presentation, Presentation, Presentation. . . Similar type exotics sold for $199 + shipping. . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALLY-GENUI...Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3a77958050#ht_500wt_1182

Send then to Spoo!

frenchytoo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
italian made Valentino Jeans shirts in peach and yellow summer colors,Brioni and very recent Burberry all in a large

chiron

Reaction score
So how does seasonality really work with thrifts?

Randy

Welcome to the forum...

The better run thrifts will reallocate retail space based on season. More space for shorts in summer and more space for Heavy coats in winter. Some larger GW will carry Heavy Winter coats year around because they have space.

Remember The GOLDEN Rule : There is a never ending Supply!!!

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum...

The better run thrifts will reallocate retail space based on season. More space for shorts in summer and more space for Heavy coats in winter. Some larger GW will carry Heavy Winter coats year around because they have space.

Remember The GOLDEN Rule : There is a never ending Supply!!!

My local thrifts carry winter coats all year round. I guess that's because I'm in Minnesota and the thought of needing them never leaves one's mind, even when in 100 degree + humidity temps.

I do notice a huge lack in quality donations from midsummer to early fall. I think tax season has a lot to do with it. A lot of wealthy people donate their nice items near the end of the year for tax write-offs and due to the quantity of donations, these last from the end of the year well into spring of the following year. Summertime thrift store sock around here consists of a few nice items here and there with a lot of garage sale leftovers. This theory seems to explain the "Summer Doldrums" in my area, at least.

Last edited:

chiron

Reaction score
I do notice a huge lack in quality donations from midsummer to early fall.

I call this the "MOM" effect... Kids out for summer and the MOMs are out in full force picking up everyting in their path. I'm waiting for school to start again before I start doing the circuit again. Otherwise its just a waste of gas bringing home one shirt.

chiron

Reaction score
Maybe it's me, but I highly doubt it's mom's flipping though racks of suits with kids in toe, looking for Brioni and Kiton suits.
peepwall%5B1%5D.gif

The women in this area are ruthless... phone in hand they are doing searches on the INTERNET. The little ones operate as their henchmen...go grab this or that. It's a rough economy... LOL

stirpot.gif

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Maybe it's me, but I highly doubt it's mom's flipping though racks of suits with kids in toe, looking for Brioni and Kiton suits.
peepwall%5B1%5D.gif

I've seen lots of middle aged women filling carts full of nice MC, presumably to flip as a side summer job. Who knows if they're mothers or single ladder-climbing strivers. I think people are catching on to the profitability of being a good flipper and the summer is a convenient time to try their luck. I think people that aren't die hards are less reluctant to hit the stores in the winter because they're busier and due to the possibility of inclement weather. The quality of clothing increasing towards fall and winter goes without question, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members