• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchytoo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
you know what to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by acosbysweater

I've seen lots of middle aged women filling carts full of nice MC, presumably to flip as a side summer job. Who knows if they're mothers or single ladder-climbing strivers. I think people are catching on to the profitability of being a good flipper and the summer is a convenient time to try their luck. I think people that aren't die hards are less reluctant to hit the stores in the winter because they're busier and due to the possibility of inclement weather. The quality of clothing increasing towards fall and winter goes without question, however.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ ^ ^

As soon as there is a Thrift Wars, Thrift Kings, or Thrift Flippers reality TV show, I'm quitting.

I have noticed guys in the book aisles at Goodwill, with smartphone attachments that will scan the UPC codes on books and instantly pop up a value (sort of like how you can type in the ISBN on the powells.com website and know how much they will give you for a used book). They just prowl the book shelves, scanning, beeping, looking at the phones. Now that's not fun at all - they don't even look at what books they're scanning. Not to mention they would miss 100% of the pre-UPC collectible books out there, which probably still accounts for 90% of titles or more. Wanna know how much I got for a 1st / 1st / 1st of Nabakov's The Eye with DJ, Phaedra, paid 25 cents? [before the book market tanked] It didn't have a UPC...

School started back today (Mon 8/6) in these parts. I don't think that has anything to do with "doldrums" - on Saturday 8/4 I scored some decent stuff and on Sunday 8/5, zip.

I do know one or two moms who tried to flip a generic Brooks Brothers blazer or whatnot using blurry iPhone pics and crappy descriptions, no measurements, and had zero success. Not like I take great photos but I try a bit harder, and happy to see them give up after 2 or 3 listings go unnoticed.

The slow shift continues - I actually canceled an eBay auction because I kept eyeballing a shirt I listed that I really wanted to keep for myself. Yikes. Can't beat the prices.

Five things you should never thrift, re-purpose or re-use:
  1. Toilet paper
  2. Condoms
  3. Tooth brushes
  4. Underwear
  5. Your best friend's ex-wife

Ciao.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

My local thrifts carry winter coats all year round. I guess that's because I'm in Minnesota and the thought of needing them never leaves one's mind, even when in 100 degree + humidity temps.
I do notice a huge lack in quality donations from midsummer to early fall. I think tax season has a lot to do with it. A lot of wealthy people donate their nice items near the end of the year for tax write-offs and due to the quantity of donations, these last from the end of the year well into spring of the following year. Summertime thrift store sock around here consists of a few nice items here and there with a lot of garage sale leftovers. This theory seems to explain the "Summer Doldrums" in my area, at least.

It's also slow here and it's a weird time for retail shops as well. They want to push fall stuff, but a lot of people are still resistant to giving up the idea of summer. I think the regional weather has something to do with donations as well. Live in an area with rough winters? Expect high-quality winter clothes, etc.

In regards to flipping, it's harder here. Smaller stores and less inventory = more time to figure out what's good vs. bad. Prices are usually marked accordingly. A Brioni jacket will be twice the normal jackets, but still worthwhile to buy if it fits. The prices are normally just high enough to make it less enticing to flip something but still within the range to buy used clothing for yourself. My wife has complained that prices in women's wear can be crazy. Sometimes they'll ask €10 for a shirt that cost €20 new.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I call this the "MOM" effect... Kids out for summer and the MOMs are out in full force picking up everyting in their path. I'm waiting for school to start again before I start doing the circuit again. Otherwise its just a waste of gas bringing home one shirt.

Yeah, I hear ya. Thrifts are way too crowded right now too. Makes sense.

Maybe it's me, but I highly doubt it's mom's flipping though racks of suits with kids in toe, looking for Brioni and Kiton suits.
peepwall%5B1%5D.gif

You underestimate the "suburbian soccer-mom flipper". I see a lot of this type with kids in the carts (or letting their kids run wild throughout the store). This time of the year, they can kill two birds with one stone. Flip and shop for the kids. :fu:

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ ^ ^

As soon as there is a Thrift Wars, Thrift Kings, or Thrift Flippers reality TV show, I'm quitting.

I have noticed guys in the book aisles at Goodwill, with smartphone attachments that will scan the UPC codes on books and instantly pop up a value (sort of like how you can type in the ISBN on the powells.com website and know how much they will give you for a used book).  They just prowl the book shelves, scanning, beeping, looking at the phones.  Now that's not fun at all - they don't even look at what books they're scanning.  Not to mention they would miss 100% of the pre-UPC collectible books out there, which probably still accounts for 90% of titles or more.  Wanna know how much I got for a 1st / 1st / 1st of Nabakov's The Eye with DJ, Phaedra, paid 25 cents?  [before the book market tanked]  It didn't have a UPC...

School started back today (Mon 8/6) in these parts.  I don't think that has anything to do with "doldrums" - on Saturday 8/4 I scored some decent stuff and on Sunday 8/5, zip. 

I do know one or two moms who tried to flip a generic Brooks Brothers blazer or whatnot using blurry iPhone pics and crappy descriptions, no measurements, and had zero success.  Not like I take great photos but I try a bit harder, and happy to see them give up after 2 or 3 listings go unnoticed. 

The slow shift continues - I actually canceled an eBay auction because I kept eyeballing a shirt I listed that I really wanted to keep for myself. Yikes. Can't beat the prices.

1. Toilet paper
  2. Condoms
  3. Tooth brushes
  4. Underwear

Ciao.

I had the privilege of touring the local GW recently and witnessed first-hand the the book-selling operation set up in the basement. It's exactly what you say: They run each book's UPC/whatever-that-code-is-called through a scanner that says what it will likely fetch. Anything that will bring a profit based on the scan goes for online sale (Amazon). Anything that does not is put on the BM shelves. I've actually found a couple of fun trashy cheap reads while waiting at the check-out line (wisely, they put the books near the registers so you can peruse while waiting for the idiots in front of you who fill carts without removing a single freakin' hanger--but I digress), and I also scored a very nice complete works of Shakespeare from Yale University Press, which I intend to read before I die, as soon as I finish True Life Tales of a Grifter. If your Goodwill isn't winnowing the profitable cream before it reaches the sales floor, then it is, likely, not a well-managed Goodwill.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Yes. They don't wear them as long or hard as men wear their shoes. Most women have a number of pairs that they'll only wear a couple of times with certain outfits. My wife has her "go-to" shoes in black and comfortable summer shoes. However, she donated a pair of shoes she's only worn 2-3 times. That's life and I've learned to accept it. :)

I had the privilege of touring the local GW recently and witnessed first-hand the the book-selling operation set up in the basement. It's exactly what you say: They run each book's UPC/whatever-that-code-is-called through a scanner that says what it will likely fetch. Anything that will bring a profit based on the scan goes for online sale (Amazon). Anything that does not is put on the BM shelves. I've actually found a couple of fun trashy cheap reads while waiting at the check-out line (wisely, they put the books near the registers so you can peruse while waiting for the idiots in front of you who fill carts without removing a single freakin' hanger--but I digress), and I also scored a very nice complete works of Shakespeare from Yale University Press, which I intend to read before I die, as soon as I finish True Life Tales of a Grifter. If your Goodwill isn't winnowing the profitable cream before it reaches the sales floor, then it is, likely, not a well-managed Goodwill.

That's interesting. The shops here sell books by the kilo, no matter the age, condition or type. I have seen them throw pallets of books into the recycling bin because they can't handle how many are donated. I see antique books fairly regularly, but we've donated so many of our books because they take up valuable space. Now, we only keep our favorites around and we donate anything we don't care about.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a wonder they don't do this with MC

chiron

Reaction score
as soon as I finish True Life Tales of a Grifter.

If your Goodwill isn't winnowing the profitable cream before it reaches the sales floor, then it is, likely, not a well-managed Goodwill.

True Life Tales of a Grifter you say...
lol8[1].gif

"If your Goodwill isn't winnowing the profitable cream" say it not true, i thought there was Honor among Thrifters?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  1. Toilet paper
  2. Condoms
  3. Tooth brushes
  4. Underwear

Ciao.

YIKES!!! Good call.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
On the Bally loafers...I went through a phase where I thought I wanted some but ultimately decided against it because they cost too much used on eBay and I wasn't patient enough to wait to win a pair under $25. Most at the time were going for $50+ but a few not in my size slipped by for less. Don't know if that's still true, I gave up after a week or so. Plus I beat the crap out of shoes, I walk 4-5 miles a day, my Fitbit tells me, I'm not particularly careful, either. Gucci and Bally loafers --- especially used ones -- would die quickly. Give me vintage Florsheim gunboats and something to change into for my lunchtime walk.

Remember The GOLDEN Rule : There is a never ending Supply!!!

True dat. It's good for us to remember this when dealing with each other on this thread, too. Sharing your better stuff with pals here is good. There'll be more to flip or keep for yourself...lurking on the racks tomorrow.

Been finding...corneliani lately. WTF? Stacked among the Stanley Blacker, Robert Alexander, and Palm Beach dreck...

Last edited:

mjt73106

Reaction score
They are all getting more sophisticated in trying to skim the cream and increase the prices. It seems interesting what they select as items that they feel are high value items.
The women in this area are ruthless... phone in hand they are doing searches on the INTERNET. The little ones operate as their henchmen...go grab this or that. It's a rough economy... LOL

stirpot.gif
I have noticed an increase in shoppers in thrifts, both men and women, but the women seem to still focus on the kids and women's clothing. SO FAR. . .
It's a wonder they don't do this with MC
They are doing it here.

Last edited:

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goodwills in Southern CT are ruthless with their menswear pricing. Any decent shirt (Th. Pink, Tyrwhitt, Canali, Etro) is $24.99+, worth it for you, not worth it to flip.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was originally referring to people shopping at Goodwill, using those hand-held scanners to find gems among the stacks of books already put out for sale. The GW's here will typically put the normal stuff in / behind the display cases, but are just starting to have "special price" shoes and clothing sections, which I am sure will expand as they figure things out.

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A GW that's not well-managed is my idea of prime real estate.

One I go to tries to be well-managed but their criteria is a little off: Nunn Bush, Clarks and Rockports in the glass case but quality footwear (when it appears) out on the floor. Same with ties: Calvin Klein = $14.99 but all sorts of hidden gems for $3.99.

If your Goodwill isn't winnowing the profitable cream before it reaches the sales floor, then it is, likely, not a well-managed Goodwill.

I thought I had it rough because all shirts at $5.99 (although all jackets are $6.99). I gotta keep remembering that any "true" thrift price is a fantastic deal off retail.

Goodwills in Southern CT are ruthless with their menswear pricing.  Any decent shirt (Th. Pink, Tyrwhitt, Canali, Etro) is $24.99+, worth it for you, not worth it to flip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads