• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped in at two GW's located in The People's Republic of Montgomery County for my second ever visit (first one was cut short by a phone call telling me to report to a nearby ER for a mild family medical emergency) and found a greater variety of middle to higher end goods in generally worse condition than any of the other thrifts on my regular circuit. It was senior citizens day and I didn't buy a thing. All the Brookise shirts that fit me had holes someplace conspicuously nonrepairable and all the good stuff was large to XXL. CT and T M Lewin shirts that looked like they should have come with tent poles and pegs. Ben Shermans in my size and great condition but unbelievably ugly patterns and garish colors. Absolutely stunning Alan Flusser casual L/S shirts ... XXL. Even the Land's End, Banana Republic stuff only came in my forbidden muddy colors. Bill's Khakis in a 40 waist!

:fu:

Then there were the moth eaten Canali and Corneliani SCs. The light blue cotton SC with the inexplicable stains on BOTH lapels that resisted 'field removal' efforts (lick finger, rub spot). The gorgeous Irish linen tie with chin grease right in the knot area.

:fu: :fu:

An H. Freeman and Sons fully canvassed, heavy weight suit that was a near perfect fit, needing only to be let out an inch in the sleeves and pant legs with a noticeably low gorge, not to mention that it was black.

:fu: :fu: :fu:

All the while, someone, just out of my line of sight, whispering, "Save your money, Dig. You'll do better at Banana Republic's end of season sale than you'll do here."

Last edited:

csoukoulis

Reaction score
i honestly thought id seen it all until today...snagged a ******* VELVET Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece ROBE!!!!! Im gonna relax like a ******* PIMP tonight!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oh. Saw that.

How do you play Farmville without fb?

Whats that?

Bespoke dinner jacket from 1938, possibly size 40S

******* awesome.

All the while, someone, just out of my line of sight, whispering, "Save your money, Dig. You'll do better at Banana Republic's end of season sale than you'll do here."

My man.

i honestly thought id seen it all until today...snagged a ******* VELVET Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece ROBE!!!!! Im gonna relax like a ******* PIMP tonight!

Play on, playa!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you have velvet slippers to go with?

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some of my find in the local Village des Valeurs

]

/quote]

Impractical jacket, but awesome...what kind of condition is this in?

NO kidding... That's a seriously bad-ass button-hole. I've only seen them that nice on Partito and Cifonelli. Definitely Italian.

Interested in selling/trading?

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

no, but a friend of my girlfriends family owns a consignment store, and he has a pair of black tom ford velvet slippers for sale! Maybe i should buy them!

ORLY..... what size?

jzbar

Reaction score

Any Melbourne (Australia) members - I found a pair of tan suede John Lobb loafers (approx size 12) in an Op Shop a week or so ago. A little to big for me so I left them in situ - if interested let me know and I will pass on the details. Unfortunately I can't proxy as I don't live in Melbourne - I was just visiting.

While there I grabbed a pair of Crockett and Jones Langhams in black calf and a pair of Hackett loafers (marked "Belgravia") in a kind of reddish tan. Nice leather. The Hacketts had a definate C&J presence about them - so I wouldn't be surprised if they were by them.

I suspect all three pairs of shoes belonged to the same Anglophile donor. With a bit of jiggery pokery I have got the two I grabbed fiting okay. SHame the JLs were just too big.

Jesus, I'm in Melbourne and I want! If you haven't already let someone know where they are, I'd love to know.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
other notable finds for the day

NWOT Etro Linen navy pin striped suit.....ticket pocket side vented flat front etc....euro 56r...id keep it but the pants are a bit too slim for me

Churchs custom grade black cap toe oxfords 10.5d

clarks brown suede desert boots sz 13 (keepers!)

Nearly new recent florsheim wing tips 10.5d if i recall

2 prl silk knit ties 1 nwt

ben silver striped tie

j crew thomas mason shirt 16x35

2 thomas pink shirts (keepers)

Borelli shirt (keeper)

Loro piana thick cotton winter shirt, feels like cashmere....XL

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
other notable finds for the day

NWOT Etro Linen navy pin striped suit.....ticket pocket side vented flat front etc....euro 56r...id keep it but the pants are a bit too slim for me

Churchs custom grade black cap toe oxfords 10.5d

clarks brown suede desert boots sz 13 (keepers!)

Nearly new recent florsheim wing tips 10.5d if i recall

2 prl silk knit ties 1 nwt

ben silver striped tie

j crew thomas mason shirt 16x35

2 thomas pink shirts (keepers)

Borelli shirt (keeper)

Loro piana thick cotton winter shirt, feels like cashmere....XL
talk about haul...

guyver00

Reaction score
Threeleggedlog:

The jacket is in pristine condition, no moth holes or rip. It has the unmistakable smell of vintage cloths, ie storage. Needs some pressing on the left sleeve and it should be ready to go. I'm still looking for the pants for the last month at the same store :fu: Fortunately I have another vintage tuxedo, and the pants' fabric closely matches this jacket.

83glt:

The buttonhole in the lapel is definitely awesome handwork, but then again the whole thing is made by hand back in the 1938 :) I tried googling the name of the tailor but nothing came up, the address is definitely Rome. As for selling/trading it, even though it's a bit short on me (I'm 40R), I'd like to keep this jacket for now, just because I see it more like a piece of art that anything else, and grosgrain lapel? Satin is nothing next to it :slayer:

Speaking of grosgrain, my tailor recently informed me that there are no mills that make them anymore, so they're a hard to come by.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Etro Linen navy pin striped suit.....ticket pocket side vented flat front etc....euro 56r...id keep it but the pants are a bit too slim for me

Etro...
Navy...
Linen...
Flat front...

SFwKQ.png

It's like watching everything fall into place...

Pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads