• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the2ndhandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black plaid tie missing main label but it’s Burberry
7ED7846A-EAF6-44A1-AEA5-4624927F07E7.jpeg
FE57A7FC-74B0-4B7F-BD37-68FE4811A238.jpeg
05FDED2A-0B1E-4980-8F80-B70A72721F88.jpeg
B467A9E8-667F-4494-A64E-C36679EE547D.jpeg
6818383D-AEB3-475A-94F2-56C1BBBCA3D4.jpeg
3D17FEFB-1363-423C-8E99-365D8CDB3B45.jpeg

tonylamer

Reaction score
Sort of an off-beat question: why do so many people give away perfectly good books? I routinely find works from the 18th, 19th, and early 20th century in perfect condition - absolutely invaluable volumes! The kind of books that are essential to any good library or liberal education.

I haven't ever found an antiquarian book at a thrift store. And I've tried for years to build such a library. Thrifting is a regional activity. I can imagine that someone living near Cambridge might thrift books regularly. Someone in Detroit might thrift soul records.

But the answer to the question: "Why do people give away X" is almost always because they died or downsized and they can't take it with them.

carreragt7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhere I’ve got a sweater version of one of those 20/25 year shirts. And yet again, another amazing haul brought to you by @Nataku . Haha. Keep em coming!

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't ever found an antiquarian book at a thrift store. And I've tried for years to build such a library. Thrifting is a regional activity. I can imagine that someone living near Cambridge might thrift books regularly. Someone in Detroit might thrift soul records.

But the answer to the question: "Why do people give away X" is almost always because they died or downsized and they can't take it with them.

I suppose it was rather rhetorical. I cannot fathom giving away my books - but I can understand wanting them at least to find a new home if no one wants them/can't house them anymore.

I'll buy any that I can get my hands on, as long as I think they're worth having in my library. I bought a poetry book in a sale once from the 1740s...it was around for the Jacobite Rebellions, possibly the Battle of Culloden itself. Ridiculous.

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was in my prime,I'm taking eurodouche to the max early 90s,my crew knew that I'm not available Friday nights before 11 because i had to finish that weeks episode (came on at 10 on the Buffalo station )
They always busted my balls and called me a nerd ,used to sit there with my gel on and my super tight vnecks and Parasuco jeans on ready to go at 11:01.
Sometimes they showed up early and had to wait in the driveway till I finished .

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beverlymarti