• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An unpinned thread: Digmenow's journey toward sartorial self improvement.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I being punished?

It's because I anagrammed pocketsquareguy into A Sucker Quote Gyp in the ugly PS thread, isn't it?

Okay. I have no clue how to fix it.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Am I being punished?

It's because I anagrammed pocketsquareguy into A Sucker Quote Gyp in the ugly PS thread, isn't it?

Okay. I have no clue how to fix it.

I see them - they are all spoiler tagged. Is that not what you want?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not in the OP (except for the very last one) but I can't get rid of the spoiler tags.

Hmm... if I go out of the "Rich Text editor"... just maybe!

Nope.

Arrgh!

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You've been a good sport DIg, and it's been a rush watching you transform your wardrobe these past few months. You're heading in the right direction, but Ed was right, pay closer attention to better shoes, and watch the overall boxiness of the sportcoats. Well done, and keep doing..

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, gnatts. I'm working on it. I always look forward to your Friday posts.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I more Neanderthal than modern human? I look at pictures of the rest of you guys throughout this forum and see slender, inward tilting rib cages and slim hip bones while I have tug boat fenders sticking out above my abdomen and around my belt line. I often wonder if bone reduction surgery is an option. Kidding. Please don't send letters.

Seriously, I feel like I have more in common with the skeleton on the left than the one on the right.

Anthropologists assembled the first complete Neanderthal
skeleton (left) just last year, using bones from several adult males.
A side-by-side comparison wtih a modern human highlights
Neanderthal traits such as a wider shoulder span and pelvis, a
flared rib cage, and heavy browridges.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a new guy who's fumbling around, gotta say thanks for putting this thread together. TB's tie threads were new to me and are a freaking gold mine!

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As a new guy who's fumbling around, gotta say thanks for putting this thread together. TB's tie threads were new to me and are a freaking gold mine!

Wow, sorry I missed commenting on this. Anyhow, the thread was a lot more usable before the migration to the new forum style and I've just been too lazy to redo it. Glad it helped and I agree with you about TB's tie thread. Solid gold.

Anyhow, don't mind me. Just X-posting some updated fits. Carry on.

I've been busy so I just skipped over 500 posts and have no clue what's going on in this thread. Anyhow...today. Some of us have to work on Saturday.
PB120195.jpg

PB120197.jpg

Apparently, i used a beach towel for a pocket square.
PB120198.jpg

PB120201.jpg

PB120204.jpg
I found a lightweight wool DB overcoat. Please note the adjustment away from skinny lapels.
PB120206.jpg

PB120207.jpg

PB120209.jpg
Brooks Brothers Madison 1818
Charvet tie
BB no iron slim fit
Florsheim Imperials (USA)
Costa del Mar sunglasses in the suit pics.
Ray-Ban 4026 "Shot: sunglasses in the overcoat pics.

More pics from September/October/November 2011

PB040175.jpg
PA280156.jpg
PA280150.jpg
PA110103.jpg
P9120003.jpg
P8180037.jpg
P9040003.jpg
P9200017.jpg
PA030056.jpg

December 2011 Alfred Sargent boots
PC080267.jpg

Brooks Brothers gray herringbone overcoat, Southwest headwear :lol: and oversized H-F sweater.
PC080263.jpg

January/February 2012
P1120370-2-1.jpg
P1120369-3-1.jpg

P2150398.jpg

P2150406.jpg

P2150403.jpg

P2150407.jpg

Last edited:

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see you've upgraded your shoes. Nice going :slayer:

Might I suggest upgrading your jackets - they are a bit outdated. Not terrible, mind you - just a bit vintage. You can get a nice sportcoat for less than $200 at an outlet, or here on B&S if you scour well.

Overall, looking good.

Do lose the Felix the Cat keychain, though.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do lose it...but keep it for special occasions. For example, surprise us one day by dressing in black tie, for whatever situation (meeting a head of state, opera, soccer practice), and whip it out then. Otherwise it becomes pedestrian. Vulgar, even. If set aside only for such worthy occasions, it would have an indelible impact - more than presently, anyway.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see you've upgraded your shoes. Nice going :slayer:
Might I suggest upgrading your jackets - they are a bit outdated. Not terrible, mind you - just a bit vintage. You can get a nice sportcoat for less than $200 at an outlet, or here on B&S if you scour well.
Overall, looking good.
Do lose the Felix the Cat keychain, though.

Don't ever lose the Felix keychain.

Do lose it...but keep it for special occasions. For example, surprise us one day by dressing in black tie, for whatever situation (meeting a head of state, opera, soccer practice), and whip it out then. Otherwise it becomes pedestrian. Vulgar, even. If set aside only for such worthy occasions, it would have an indelible impact - more than presently, anyway.

I was already beginning to think twice about the keychain as an affectation but I really liked the continuity that it provided. It's a bi+c# to remember, sometimes. I think the special occasion idea is a pretty good one. I continue to seek more current items to replace some of the "starter" items I currently wear. Expect better as time passes (I hope!).

Thanks, guys.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:facepalm:
Well, it seems that I can no longer go back and edit my earlier posts so I have to add posts of new stuff of importance to me. Sorry if you fell into this thread expecting something different.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about Gant in this thread, I figured I'd share what I know, to enlighten my fellow thrifters:
Gant by Michael Bastian- Most expensive line, current, also only started F/W 2009 (10 maybe) so very recent
Gant Rugger- Also recent, step bellow bastian but same idea, remakes of archival gant clothes, think this line only started 6 or so years ago so also quite recent
Gant- Shield logo, recent but not worth picking up, along the same idea as penguin or ben sherman
Gant Blue Label- Crap, 90's, 80's, 70's cheap remakes of trad, lots of polyester, If you can find shirts that are all cotton they can be good for you but not flipping
Gant The Rugger, Gant Shirt Makers, Or Gant Made for X Men's Shop- Vintage tradly goodness, not sure about the flipabbility but definitely nice stuff. The Rugger often refers to the fit (tapered body) however I have seen Gant The Rugger Blue Labels which I think lean towards later 60s Early 70's and can be pretty nice.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:facepalm:
Well, it seems that I can no longer go back and edit my earlier posts so I have to add posts of new stuff of importance to me. Sorry if you fell into this thread expecting something different.

Fabric Reweavers USA.

These methods are not foolproof and there is no guarantee, implied or otherwise of their success. Try at your own risk. Your results may vary.

Here is a link to The treatment for cleaning shirts that are thought to be beyond redemption. Your results may vary.

Another method is to put the stained article directly into a bucket of near boiling water containing about a half of a cup of Dawn dishwashing detergent and a half of a bottle of hydrogen peroxide for 6 or so hours. Remove and launder as normal. Stains are usually gone! Your results may vary.

Your results may vary.

Please enjoy this very useful
Guide to Weaves and Designs. PDF

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's THAT for collar roll? Late 50's and mid 60's style, back when Mom used to dress me. GF had it goin' on!

I want this sweater back. Pretty sure it was Carolina blue.

Skinny tie and a nice P.S.

Fairly certain that's a clip on.

Needless to say, a small trove of old photos resurfaced at a family GTG, yesterday.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads