• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

Versace Guy

Reaction score

Yea, reminds me of the other week when I brought a Brioni suit up to the counter of one of my favorite spots and the woman at the register told me that it never should have made it out to the floor and instead gone straight to eBay. :fu: :fu: That being said.......
This.

Just take consolation that anyone who knows the high end stuff is smart enough to not work in a thrift store for long.

It's usually just a phase. They hire a guy who knows his ****, guy goes off to medical school. Then they hire a new guy who sleep on the job and eats Cheetos. Just keep on checking back to that store in hope that the first guy has quit and move on to bigger and better things

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to a sale this morning. Bad timing. Drove there in a snowstorm and had an appointment in 1/2 an hour which was 25 minutes away....

Hit the records first. Older couple beat me to about 50% of them, but they were picking out Hendrix, Zeppelin and CCR and passing over Stooges, MC5, Zappa, etc. Ok, that's cool. I'll take those sloppy seconds.

After the records, the wife came in and dragged me out as we were 15 minutes late for our appointment. An hour and a half later, we circle back so I can go through the rest of the house and garage. What I missed, I don't care to even think about. Ignorance is bliss. Another guy was there for seconds and said he spent $400 on his first pass.

I came out with some cool stuff that was over-looked or buried. Came out with an almost complete hippie outfit. Tunic, leather hat, fringe jacket and green tint "granny" sunglasses.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They guy had a table full of vintage Harley shirts. Lots from the 90's, but a fair amount from the 70's and 80's as well. 90% were gone by the time I got back around. These were hidden at the bottom of a garbage bag in the "clothes room". I wish I would have taken a picture. The "clothes room" was literally boxes, garbage bags and random clothes thrown in piles on the floor. You really had to dig.

Both t-shirts are XL, but 70's/80's XL so likely about a modern slim L.

Fringe jacket is an XL. Probably a keeper but can be talked out of it. ;)

div25sec9

Reaction score

Just take consolation that anyone who knows the high end stuff is smart enough to not work in a thrift store for long.

It's usually just a phase. They hire a guy who knows his ****, guy goes off to medical school. Then they hire a new guy who sleep on the job and eats Cheetos. Just keep on checking back to that store in hope that the first guy has quit and move on to bigger and better things

When I get frustrated that something good gets marked up; I say the following to myself:

"They may know a bit about the labels, but they don't know them as well as me"

case in point for me:

Camoshita United Arrows blazer! ...I'll post some pics once I break the big camera out. The camera on my phone won't focus right, I think I dropped it once too many times.

They may know some of the big labels, but not the small ones... and they must think partially lined are partially disassembled. All the great finds that are partial lined are priced cheaper than then average Sears brand on the rack.

The only negative about it is that it's at least 4 sizes too big for me. The Nederlands Nike jersey in mint condition that fits me perfect at $3 CDN eased the pain :)

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that long sleeve harley shirt is nuts

mystery clock is neat too.

Last edited:

Yorker

Reaction score

Can't find any sold listings online. Anyone know the going rate for Tom ford dinner jackets like this? Can't tell if I should try to haggle down and but it. At 350 right now. 38 drop 9

dukedishin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PM from @SpooPoker in 3...2...1...

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy balls, Nat. That record collection has me salivating! Fugs, T Rex, Stooges, The Litter, Exuma, and Badfinger? It's basically like someone sold all of my fave records.

(I found a near mint copy of Exuma I at the GV DITV for $1.99 about 3-4 years ago. It kind of blew my mind how cheap it was.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads