• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to add to the complaints about certain chains of thrifts, one of the ones near me is on some next level bullshit. In their special "boutique" section of the store, they seriously have JC Penny store brand khakis and busted Izod pants marked at $19.99, NWT Kirkland plain button downs MSRP $29.99 marked for the low, low price of $24.99, 20+ year old Christian Dior ties and old BB ties with ******* stains and runs in the fabric at $10 all day. And the **** they keep under lock and key is a joke.

Also, saw some clown I've seen around one of the other local chain spots posted up at the front counter with all the jewelry the other day. Dude was asking to see items then straight up looking up listing on his phone at the counter and telling the girl: "yeah, some of this stuff is worth thousands of dollars" and showing her listings. I browsed for maybe an hour and he was still there when I was checking out. He must have gone through the whole case. Absolutely no shame is his lack of game.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just to add to the complaints about certain chains of thrifts, one of the ones near me is on some next level bullshit. In their special "boutique" section of the store, they seriously have JC Penny store brand khakis and busted Izod pants marked at $19.99, NWT Kirkland plain button downs MSRP $29.99 marked for the low, low price of $24.99, 20+ year old Christian Dior ties and old BB ties with ******* stains and runs in the fabric at $10 all day. And the **** they keep under lock and key is a joke. 

I love seeing this. Im being serious. That means the store has no clue. The stores I find Kirkland and Donald Trump stuff marked up at are the stores I find Anderson & Sheppard for nothing.

Dirt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love seeing this. Im being serious. That means the store has no clue. The stores I find Kirkland and Donald Trump stuff marked up at are the stores I find Anderson & Sheppard for nothing.
That's proved true for me a lot, as well. One of the stores I got a sweet Brioni jacket and NWOT BBBF jacket for under $8 also had 80's Men's Warehouse suits for $39.99.

5d7.jpg

Versace Guy

Reaction score

It's been a while since I posted but this post got me fired up and reminded of the crap that happened to me recently.

Last week I was in a smaller thrift store in a nice area and walked past the counter to see 10 pairs of Gucci, d&g, and Prada shoes all priced at $10. I asked about them and the manager/cashier told me that they were a customer's. Thinking I just missed an epic haul by a flipper, I walked by disappointed. I saw the "customer" in the back trying on clothes from the back room and running through the back door to the dressing room. I saw him browsing ebay listings. I asked the manager if I could look at the rack while the "customer" was still going back and forth. She then said that it's employees only. Then loudly made a remarks to the "customer" that his 10 pairs of shoes are crowding the register.

I wanted to call their corporate office to snitch but i refrained. I just left disappointed and empy handed.

I could care less about people getting hook ups or getting the jump on the new clothes but this is pretty extreme. Employees underpricing clothes to be then snatched up before they go out to the store. Adult/ mentally aware people too.

/endrant
This makes me mad just reading about it.

I really hope that most of the grail finds on this thread were actually found by going through the racks rather than through "connection"

ExHack

Reaction score

Come to Chicago, home of the $250 loafers at Salvation Army :/

In my town the main chains are Goodwill, Savers and Salvation Army. I don't even bother with Sally Ann because they almost never have anything worth buying (i.e., midmarket stuff in decent shape), and whether they do or not, anything decent and a lot that isn't will end up in "Sally's Attic" at near-new prices. My time is worth more than anything I and their pricers might miss.

ExHack

Reaction score

A few Twin City Goodwills pays their processors extra to read up on high-end labels. Volunteers have told me they have lots of luxury/ fashion magazines in the breakroom, some focusing just on menswear( Esquire, GQ, Robb Report, etc). RLPL and Zegna get marked up regardless of age or item (ties, shirts, suits, everything). Explains how they learned even the most obscure labels like Common Projects and Patrick Ervell.

That is seriously bad news for most of us, but probably fairly intelligent on their part. It beats them (for their purposes, not ours) marking up low grade has been/never was mass market junk like PRL, CK, Tommy, Nautica, etc. Hoping other Goodwill components elsewhere don't pick up on that.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the UK at least it's the stuff that everybody knows that gets marked up the most, but even then, the markups aren't massive. If a suit is £10 normally, then the brand they recognise will be £20. But it will be Canali or Chester Barrie at £10 and Boss or YSL at £20 because everybody knows who Boss and YSL are.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the UK at least it's the stuff that everybody knows that gets marked up the most, but even then, the markups aren't massive. If a suit is £10 normally, then the brand they recognise will be £20. But it will be Canali or Chester Barrie at £10 and Boss or YSL at £20 because everybody knows who Boss and YSL are.

You should come to my local Oxfam. They don't care about brands :) Longchamp bag for £2, Chester Barrie suits for £5 and most ties for 50p including Lanvin, BB, D&G etc... and all PRL Polo shirts are £1.50.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spruce Moose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anybody feels like taking a road trip...

Damn. 5 Hour drive is just too long for me without knowing what they have and true prices. Too many times there's like 1 or 2 pieces at the good prices and everything else is $$$

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Prices have been steadily rising, and stores are getting nasty sketchy. Hit a quick stop today and the place has a back room where the employees sort and price items. One guy was straight up surfing ebay while holding a pair of women's shoes. Like bruh, this is a thrift shop - go ************* with that ****.

It's been a while since I posted but this post got me fired up and reminded of the crap that happened to me recently.

Last week I was in a smaller thrift store in a nice area and walked past the counter to see 10 pairs of Gucci, d&g, and Prada shoes all priced at $10. I asked about them and the manager/cashier told me that they were a customer's. Thinking I just missed an epic haul by a flipper, I walked by disappointed. I saw the "customer" in the back trying on clothes from the back room and running through the back door to the dressing room. I saw him browsing ebay listings. I asked the manager if I could look at the rack while the "customer" was still going back and forth. She then said that it's employees only. Then loudly made a remarks to the "customer" that his 10 pairs of shoes are crowding the register.

I wanted to call their corporate office to snitch but i refrained. I just left disappointed and empy handed.

I could care less about people getting hook ups or getting the jump on the new clothes but this is pretty extreme. Employees underpricing clothes to be then snatched up before they go out to the store. Adult/ mentally aware people too.

/endrant

Yea, reminds me of the other week when I brought a Brioni suit up to the counter of one of my favorite spots and the woman at the register told me that it never should have made it out to the floor and instead gone straight to eBay. :fu: :fu: That being said.......

This.

Takai

Reaction score
The first time I ever set foot into one of my now favorite shops they said "We put all of the good stuff on ebay" After that trip didnt yield anything, I wrote it off fr a long while. Now I realize that they dont know much, and I find super great stuff there. Their ebay store is full of NWT Izod, and a couple bobbie grahams.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Damn. 5 Hour drive is just too long for me without knowing what they have and true prices. Too many times there's like 1 or 2 pieces at the good prices and everything else is $$$

Found out that most of the items will be in sample sizes, which means roughly 40R. Won't be making the trip after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads