• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ErikW

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can buy the suede protector? Can't find any in stock... Is there another brand?

rokr32

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can buy the suede protector? Can't find any in stock... Is there another brand?
I got both of these for my suede loafers the other day at Clarks..

thing is, i still don't know when to apply either one :p

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
apply the spray protector now (assuming the shoes are clean).

Brush lightly after wearing. Use the 'eraser' on any stains or dirty spots that turn up.

Enjoy!

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Use the suede & nubuck brush to brush out the suede before and after wearing. It is like vacuuming carpet. Makes the suede look nicer by "fluffing" the fibers. The gummy texture also helps remove dirt.

Spray the protector on at a distance of 12 to 18 inches. Highly suggest doing this outside. Once you see that water drops no longer form, re-spray the shoes. Should help protect against water and, in theory, stains.

If you shoes *really* get dirty, wash them in the sink. Use a brush and a tiny bit of soap to remove dirt. Allow to dry. Brush, then spray.

Good luck!

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks for the tips guys! so the spray protector i just spray anytime? 

It's a 'preventative' measure - spray them while they are new and clean to prevent future staining. ????Reapply every six months or so?????

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ah ok. Now i understand. Thanks so much :)

almost. depending on your wearing habits every second or third wear. much better.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

ah ok. Now i understand. Thanks so much :)

Reapply once water stops balling when it hits the leather. This means that the waterproofing has worn off.

almost. depending on your wearing habits every second or third wear. much better.

Agreed.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Kirby,

I've enjoyed the Saphir products you carry.

Question for you: Is there a point to buying NEUTRAL colored Saphir cream polish for black shoes? My goal is just to get a good shine. I currently already possess the Renovateur and a neutral color Saphir wax polish.

rokr32

Reaction score
Reapply once water stops balling when it hits the leather. This means that the waterproofing has worn off.
Agreed.

I see. Good thing I asked you guys first! Nothing like ruining $495 shoes for not knowing how to take care of them.

I'm wearing them tonight and see how they hold. thanks again!

Quartermain

Reaction score
Good evening chaps,

I have just stumbled upon this thread and have thoroughly enjoyed reading about and seeing how shoes are so well looked after, in addition to some fantastic looking toecaps. Given my occupation within the British Army for nearly twenty years I have, as you can imagine, been required to shine my boots/shoes to a mirror finish in barracks and on the forecourt of Buckingham Palace whilst undertaking cerimonial duties on the odd occasion.
I have however always been ignorant when it comes to the use of shoe trees and now plan to start using them in my beloved shoe collection. My question to you fine chaps is this: Will older shoes (upto 2 years in age and in good condition) benefit from the introduction of shoe trees? I am keen to purchase and start using them, but are my shoes already doomed?

Kind regards,

Q

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Good evening chaps,

I have just stumbled upon this thread and have thoroughly enjoyed reading about and seeing how shoes are so well looked after, in addition to some fantastic looking toecaps. Given my occupation within the British Army for nearly twenty years I have, as you can imagine, been required to shine my boots/shoes to a mirror finish in barracks and on the forecourt of Buckingham Palace whilst undertaking cerimonial duties on the odd occasion.
I have however always been ignorant when it comes to the use of shoe trees and now plan to start using them in my beloved shoe collection. My question to you fine chaps is this: Will older shoes (upto 2 years in age and in good condition) benefit from the introduction of shoe trees?
I am keen to purchase and start using them, but are my shoes already doomed?

Kind regards,

Q

no. go ahead. you'll not regret it.

good luck

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know nothing about that particular product - although Patrick B swears by
One thing is for sure - don't apply anything to just one area - it's the whole upper or nothing. You don't want blotchy.

It's a great product for waxy or pull up leather as found on workboots. I would not use it on any calf leather that I ever wanted to shine however. I also prefer the LP over the oil.

On appropriate leather & footwear it will clean, condition and increase water/stain resistance incredibly well. The leather won't take a high shine after applying LP wax, but it will develop a nice luster, more of a sheen than shine.

Last edited:

dredwings19

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I recently bought a pair of Brooks Brothers Medallion shoes "AE Strands for the most part" in Walnut. I am wondering what kind/colour of wax polish I can use on them? I have purchased the AE premium shoe polish but I am thinking that a wax polish might protect them a bit more from scuffs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics