• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging Thread.

fox15

Reaction score
Just can't let this thread go without dropping in. I don't have the resume Vader does, but I've built everything from an FC3S RX7 to an old Hachi-Roku coupe that I miss dearly. Anyway, I'll share a photo of my current daily/beater since the Subys appear to be loved here:

02 Legacy GT limited (Sadly N/A since we didn't get the turbo legacy until 05) with barely over 100k on the clock.

Last edited:

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be buying a new car in the spring and really have no idea what to get. Suggestions would be very appreciated

Some things I'd like it to have

- around $20k (can be adjusted a little depending on what I can get)
- Very luxurious, I would like to to be a great ride (not the brand but the options, I'd prefer a fully loaded Kia vs. a base BMW)
- reliability is a big +
- Fair insurance rates, I realize that a young guy's insurance is gonna be high no matter what
- Sporty would nice but not completely essential
- Sedan preferred as I often have more than 2 people in my car

I like tinkering with cars but since I live in the city I won't have much room for it nowadays and I don't have time for it anyways.

Pretty much anything would be an upgrade since I've been driving an '05 Chevy Malibu since high school and she's getting close to the end I believe

Thanks fellas

Edit: to add more details

Do you mean NEW or new to you?

Sporty won't be hard since you will be comparing it to a 05 Malibu. What about size? Small? Medium?

I am a big fan of the Nissan Altima. Everyone I know that has one loves it. My old law partner had one and didn't do anything to it except oil changes. He didn't do the regular maintenance on it. He just drove it. It 160,000 miles last I knew and had never had an issue. They are fairly room, get great gas mileage, and look pretty decent. They aren't super exciting, but they are nice.

How about a 2013 Nissan Altima SL with only 16K miles, leather seats, alloy wheels, nicely optioned for $19,998? Its on Carmax. If you find one anywhere in the country, they will transfer it to you for a few hundred dollars.

How about an older BMW (2008) 5 series with only 47K miles with premium package options. Nice car! For less than $19,000?

or a 2009 Acura TL (which is an incredible car!) with only 60K miles for $18,500

Or you really want a Kia there's a 2014 Kia Optima EX loaded with Leather and 19K miles for less than $20,000

dukedishin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father had a Pilot and loved it. He now has a Highlander and likes it even more. His Pilot was the older version and I think they have improved. Both are great choices.

Have you talked to a dealer? If you tell them what you are looking for and how much you want to spend, they will usually take the time to search other dealers or Auctions to find one.

I have a friend who is a small dealer and he sells a lot of cars all over the Country. Tell me what you want and how much and he can search. But, you have to be ready to act fast.
I'll definitely check back in with this thread when I'm ready to move fast. Definitely looking at mid next year. Thanks everyone!

dukedishin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go the Altima route, try searching local in Nashville. There's a factory that builds them around here so used can be had very cheap.

Of course, I also had a conversation with a tow truck driver that said the Altima is the only Nissan he WOULDN'T recommend buying, as he tows it very often. Could just be a skewed perception based on how freaking many of them they are around here.

Ds13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you mean NEW or new to you? 

Sporty won't be hard since you will be comparing it to a 05 Malibu.    What about size?  Small? Medium?  

I am a big fan of the Nissan Altima.  Everyone I know that has one loves it.  My old law partner had one and didn't do anything to it except oil changes.  He didn't do the regular maintenance on it. He just drove it.   It 160,000 miles last I knew and had never had an issue.   They are fairly room, get great gas mileage, and look pretty decent.  They aren't super exciting, but they are nice. 

How about a 2013 Nissan Altima SL with only 16K miles, leather seats, alloy wheels, nicely optioned for $19,998?  Its on Carmax.  If you find one anywhere in the country, they will transfer it to you for a few hundred dollars.  

How about an older BMW (2008) 5 series with only 47K miles with premium package options.  Nice car!  For less than $19,000? 

or a 2009 Acura TL (which is an incredible car!) with only 60K miles for $18,500

Or you really want a Kia there's a 2014 Kia Optima EX loaded with Leather and 19K miles for less than $20,000 

Oops I should have clarified, new to me is mainly what I'm looking at.

I only used Kia as a comparison for how I would prefer fully loaded over a nicer brand with no options. Although I do kind of like the newer ('12 and '13) SX and SXL's that come with the turbo.

But yes, the Malibu isn't too sporty but it's been reliable and I can't complain about that.

I do like all of the suggestions you provided though! Especially the Acura and BMW. Thank you!

fox15

Reaction score

Oops I should have clarified, new to me is mainly what I'm looking at.

I only used Kia as a comparison for how I would prefer fully loaded over a nicer brand with no options. Although I do kind of like the newer ('12 and '13) SX and SXL's that come with the turbo.

But yes, the Malibu isn't too sporty but it's been reliable and I can't complain about that.

I do like all of the suggestions you provided though! Especially the Acura and BMW. Thank you!

Sporty or not, I'm digging the new impala. The v6 version is putting down 300hp (allegedly)

I'm gonna have to buy a newer daily soon, but plan to keep the legacy and build a b4 rsk clone

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sporty or not, I'm digging the new impala. The v6 version is putting down 300hp (allegedly)

I'm gonna have to buy a newer daily soon, but plan to keep the legacy and build a b4 rsk clone

Yea, the new Impala is VERY cool. I saw a black one totally optioned out and I had to check twice to see what it was. Nice car.

I'm still disappointed they stopped using the 3800 engine. But, the new one is very cool.
I hope it's a different 3.6 than my wife's SRX.

dukedishin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can use the extra budget on rims....would be sick.

fox15

Reaction score
What about opinions on leather seats? I've heard leather accelerates trouser shine, so does that possibility influence anyone's decisions on upholstery

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about opinions on leather seats? I've heard leather accelerates trouser shine, so does that possibility influence anyone's decisions on upholstery

Leather seats can and do accelerate shine, but there's no real way to get around it. A clothes brush can help slow the sheen.

Close Horse

Reaction score

Dalton, if I were you, I would really consider a Lexus LS430.

The only car I've ever heard of with 2 examples over 1 Million Miles. Matt Farah on Smoking Tire and Real Car Reviews on YouTube have proof. Or maybe it's the same car.

Seconded on a used Lexus, or what about an Acura MDX?

Last edited:

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only car I've ever heard of with 2 examples over 1 Million Miles. Matt Farah on Smoking Tire and Real Car Reviews on YouTube have proof. Or maybe it's the same car.

Seconded on a used Lexus, or what about an Acura MDX?

They are the same car I think. Farah is at 940,00~ in his ls400 right now I believe. Those cars are incredible though. There are a few examples with extremely high mileage. I love TST podcast. Awesome stuff.

The early 2000s MDXs had some pretty serious problems. Same with the TL (legend) of the time. They lunched transmissions pretty regularly. It's too bad because the 3.2l legend is a great car, and the MDX is nice inside as well. I've seen those in the 150,000 mile range on a third transmission though. Ugh.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I'll share a photo of my current daily/beater since the Subys appear to be loved here:

02 Legacy GT limited (Sadly N/A since we didn't get the turbo legacy until 05) with barely over 100k on the clock.
Sweet project car choice. as i'm sure you know that a 2.0 Legacy is the easiest car to swap a EJ20TT into. everything from the B4 fits. unlike some other models, which have engines unique to that trim spec in the U.S. One of my Daily's has the Twin Turbo EJ20 in it. (01 Legacy GTB) the thing HAULS ASS in the snow.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Post your DIY adventures here. and any upgrades that are saving money, or improving the style. popcorn on this one.
lurker[1].gif

Thanks for starting this vader!

Dalton, if I were you, I would really consider a Lexus LS430. Ticks almost all your boxes and can be had at pretty low mileage a good bit under budget. They're also damn near bulletproof. Great ride too. Here's a decent example..

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...=[LEXUS[LS430[]][]]&listingId=409281824&Log=0
We can all agree that an LS is the one absolute in affordable, reliable, luxury motoring. i got to thinking earlier today. and wanted to explore what other options might suit his needs.

Found these while browsing Chicago Craigslist :
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5239658885.html
bear with me on this one, it seems solid.
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/5206320160.html
this is pretty much exactly what he asked for:
https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ctd/5239335769.html

Oh. My. Gawd.......
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5239277011.html

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are some good options too. The Jag XF is a great car. Although, if a rebuilt title scares you at all, you'll be hard pressed to find one of those under 20k with low mileage and clean title.

Love the 750 other than electronic issues and I can't remember if those had the fuel pump problems or not.

GS is always a great option, and they are certainly a little cooler looking than the LS.

The great thing about looking at luxury models under 20k is that your money goes a lot further for a couple reasons. The luxury buyer (new) is a lot of times a 3 year lease. They want the latest electronics and technological offerings. The five year depreciation on luxury models can be mind blowing. You can buy a ten year old v12 Mercedes that was 150k new for 10-20 grand for instance (you don't want to because the suspensions on those have trouble and they are hilariously expensive). There are a ton of options like that though. A lot of them come in pretty under budget too and you can set aside some cash for whatever maintenance is needed down the road.

Some other good options
Volvo S80 Turbo
Cadillac CTS
Mazda 6 (or a mazdaspeed 6)
Or if you want to play maintenance roulette you could always look at a Volkswagen Phaeton which is on the same platform as the Bentley continental. W12 engine, great ride, excellent interior. 90k new. Can be had for 15-20.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads