• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

loanshark

Reaction score
What is on everyone's Alden wish list for 2015, prefer to stick to realistic goals but grails are welcome as well.

2014 was when I really became interested in Alden. During the past year I was lucky to acquire:

#8 BB tassels
#8 BB shortwing bals
#8 J Crew PCT
Brown CXL Epaulet Innsbruck Indy
Tan suede unlined chukka
snuff suede unlined chukka
snuff suede LHS
Two other shells - C&J for PRL Marlow Penny loafers & AE brown chukkas

All two of the above were second hand purchases and I feel I hit on all but the PRL Marlow loafers and BB shortwings (I should've gone down .5 size on both). These will probably be up for sale soon.

My 2015 wish list (I will be pleased if I'm fortunate enough to acquire 3-4 of the below):

natty CXL Indy (on leffot pre-order, but will probably sell or try to transfer deposit)
Cigar Indy on commando
Ravello captoe boot on commando (^ are these two both DC makeups?)
#8 Leffot dovers
#8 Leffot Tankers
Black Leffot Naval boot
Whiskey LHS
Ravello WT boot (^ who makes these?)
C&J Marlow swb
C&J Islay boots

I'm 10D barrie so if anyone is trying to unload one of the above please let me know.

Might be the wrong place to post, but maybe not. I'm a 9.5D in Barrie 975. Would that be a 10D in Florsheim Royal Imperial cordovan shoe?

anyone have experience with the quality of the Florsheim vs. Alden?

I went TTS for a vintage find on ebay, but I wish I would've used my Barrie size (-.5). My foot is borderline C/D though so that may be part of the issue. Anyway I can wear them no problem with thicker socks.

Here's a question: Has anyone had a stranger approach and say "Sweet Aldens dude"?

I have twice in airports.

Twice - once in an airport and once in a local bar. Both times I was wearing Indy's.

Last edited:

BernieIsMyCat

Reaction score
Here's a question: Has anyone had a stranger approach and say "Sweet Aldens dude"?

Walking by Union Square in San Francisco, some dude on the street complemented me on both my Indys and my Gustin jeans. Not too surprised about the boots, but very surprised about the jeans.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Walking by Union Square in San Francisco, some dude on the street complemented me on both my Indys and my Gustin jeans. Not too surprised about the boots, but very surprised about the jeans.

Did you ask for his styfo handle?

Resistant

Reaction score
2014 Acquisitions

• Unipair snuff Nassau derby (PTB)
  • Alden of Carmel #8 shell Wingtip boot
  • NeedSupply Alpine grain Indy
  • Unionmade choco suede Indy
  • DC Ravello shell Straight Tip boot on commando (*Grail) "nightcaps"
  • Leffot Black shell LWB
  • Haberdasher Tan suede Indy derby on trubalance
  • Alden Madison Black shell Straight Tip Boot - no hooks
  • Leffot Alpine grain Wingtip Boot on commando
  • Leffot Black shell Naval Boot

Pre- order due 2015' ish
  • Citi Shoes Alpine grain Tanker
  • Context #8 shell Tanker
  • Epaulet Alt Wein
  • Madison Black shell Perf captoe oxford
  • Madison Ravello LWB

Wishlist
  • #4 wingtip boot
  • AoC black shell wingtip boot on commando?
  • my pre-orders come in
  • I get a pre-order for something in cigar - wingtip boot, or perhaps should just get on DC list
  • tan suede chukka? or snuff
  • snuff boot
  • reverse chamois boot or shoe
  • more foot balance heels
  • my promotion and finish school w/ 4.0 GPA, oh yes
  • peace on earth - good will to all
  • I find my lost tie, really how do I replace that - suggestions please

I have some Aldens that will be very similar to others and may need to sell
I have a pair of straight tip boots that were a bargain but do not fit me right, they could be replaced I think the last was not correct.

Top shoe this year is MoosicPA and his Russian leather boots.
I loved seeing all the Ravello - those wingtips were special - I held my first pair of Ravello and wore them in the rain by the third try-on.
I may have to buy and keep a horse alive to make amends, but the butt is used and lives on in the best way, my ancestors found every use for the buffalo

PM me for any cigar Lists please.

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Starting Whiskey Wednesday off with whiskey shell LWB. I have a pair of shoes with me to break in today at the office so these won't be on too long.

Tif, a great way to end your 2014 and Whiskey Wednesday.

TSM Whiskey LWB

DonL, another great Whiskey Wednesday contribution! Looking good!

Well, finally was able to try on the new boots this morning. Sorry for the boring parking lot shots. Was hoping to give my first pairs a better first wear but couldn't wait.

Alden x BB in what appears to be Snuff Suede.

b90DBvpl.jpg

I think i'm going to like the crepe in the end.

Alden x Leffot Chamois Daytrippers.

pdahxHsl.jpg

First time trying on the Grant last. My foot seems properly placed but from what I can tell a bit more length in front of the toes.

For the Chamois leather, any special care or treatment after some wet weather?

Chamois leather is very rugged. Wear, appreciate, and brush occasionally, I can send your more explicit instructions if you wish. But, chamois really does not need much! Both look great!

@AidanSSK

Welcome!

Sorry for quick post but about to jump on a plane. I wear wingtip boots in a casual seeing all the time. I would not be concerned at all.

Have a safe flight my friend. That is a lot of wintips to wear in one day! ;-)

Resistance, it has been a great year. Thank you for putting this together!

-Mike

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to get just a general consensus/opinion for a first color 8 boot I plan on getting once new years is over with. I'm on the fence between the Tanker boot from citishoes, or the standard 4060 CT boot. Ultimately, I will probably end up with both, but for the meantime as a first cordovan boot, which would you choose?

If you know you will eventually have both, you should get the Tanker first as they are more difficult to acquire. The 4060 is usually readily available at multiple retailers.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
If you know you will eventually have both, you should get the Tanker first as they are more difficult to acquire. The 4060 is usually readily available at multiple retailers.

Repp is wise with this advice. The 4060 is a stock model at a variety of retailers and if you like Speed Hooks and Commando Soles, you can get the 4060HC from Alden DC.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads