• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the consensus on extra holes and choppy welts?  Par for the course?

I really can't tell what you mean by extra holes (which might be a good thing)? The welt should not be an issue as long as it's sewn intactly to the uppers.

From the natural edge I assume those are either #8 (Leffot's?) or cigar and not the standard 975. If so, it might take a while to get a replacement. If they are the former, in 6.5D, and you decide to let them go, let me know. :fonz:

Owlbass

Reaction score
It's really a lot better for me. Before my Indy boots felt clunky, now that I sized down they feel just right and frankly a lot more comfy and fun to wear. The difference is a minor one, but for my feet, it became very clear that my Trubalance size is 8D even though my Barrie size is 8.5D.

I think this can work well in part because Trublance is such a wide last.

Just out of curiosity what size to you wear in athletic shoes? I tried on a pair of 403 Indys at Unionmade and I was surprised that I fit into an 8d. I'm usually a 9.5. I should have tried more on because now I'm back in FL and I have the Alden bug real bad.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe the R does indicate that they are seconds. If they are and if they came from the Shoemart, then the price is a good markup. Of course, supply and demand etc. If the defect is minor, then it is a chance to acquire a rare pair of gunboats. Good luck!

Edit: Meso brief and to the point, as usual.
1f609.png

Last edited:

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the R does indicate that they are seconds. If they are and if they came from the Shoemart, then the price is a good markup. Of course, supply and demand etc. If the defect is minor, then it is a chance to acquire a rare pair of gunboats. Good luck!

Yeah, they would have been $499. from Shoemart.

Looks like the left and right shoe may have slightly different colorways.

Also, be cognizant of what he's not showing in his pictures. Notice he is not showing the back heels for example.

Last edited:

Todd V

Reaction score

I have the 966 and I love it. It look a while to break in and get the heel to mold to my foot. But, once it did, I was very happy. It feels like a much stronger shoe than my Allen Edmonds Strands, etc. and the leather feels thicker and more sturdy. I also like the fact that the leather is an even tone and not burnished like an old door knob. :)

I just wish these were available in dark brown.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Dunno to be honest they send emails

That photo is from whyyoumad Instagram I think, shoes are from pitti by blak fleece guy in NYC forget his name so it's C&J and black fleece from earlier seasons
I don't have an issue with that who is gonna look close enough to see?
A lwb is nice and I wore it to interviews in later rounds if I knew the interviewer or if it was a non profit

If you are just starting out I'd get two pairs of Allen Edmonds, black captoe and a brown punch captoe or something similar. It's a lot cheaper and you can have money to spend on trees, saphir Reno, shoe brushes, beer, pizza etc. also easier if you scrape shoes or do something stupid in your new pair of nicer shoes.

They have seconds sales like 2 for 200-250 check the Allen Edmonds thread. Stevesmith here also gets a lot of brooks brothers seconds for sale cheap

Once you get a better feel you can sell the AEs (or keep black captoe I sold mine and kinda regret as I have no black captoe now) or use them as beaters. Ae fit wasn't good for mIf you really are set on wingtip, then Ralph Lauren private sale starts in end of April. If you can wait, Marlow wingtip will be about $547 depending on your tax. Most versatile shoe I think as you can dress it up down easily and it's a clean dark brown.n dark brown.

I'm 22 now and started maybe year and a half ago, maybe it's best to just go to dsw and get some flobby clunky shoes in all honesty!
Yeah want to sell my Indys all and get 10Es instead of 10.5d but then I remember my Indys were 220 and 330 new or something and it'd be too much for new ones

How can I get in on the RL private sale for those Marlows? :)

Go search the RRL thread for user dastig (aka Robert Shoettker). He's an SA at Chicago Ralph Lauren. He'll hook you up.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, they would have been $399 from Shoemart.

Looks like the left and right shoe may have slightly different colorways.

Also, be cognizant of what he's not showing in his pictures. Notice he is not showing the back heels for example.

FIFY

Nice pair, though.

Last edited:

Winterbourne

Reaction score
I really do appreciate all the responses, guys. I feel compelled to get a cordovan shell since the price is only a tad bit higher than the calfskin. That said, I love the #8 color. I always liked burgundy more than black and found it more versatile as well.

So for the suggestion to consider Allen Edmonds for starting out, if I'm set on cordovan, I notice the price margin is relatively small between AE and Alden in this aspect so I may as well go with the latter, right?

I understand the cap toe or PTB is most appropriate for a wedding and interview but I'm having a hard time resisting this LWB in #8... http://www.shermanbrothers.com/product.php?ItemId=1116&ProductId=208

I'm thinking these could be used a little less formally, getting more wear out of them, while still being worn at a wedding so long as the rest of my attire isn't off, i.e., wearing a pin stripe suit with them. My internships and interviews are at least six months away which'll give me more time to acquire a nice cap toe by AE.

Also I wore a 10.5 on a trubalance in a plain toe boot.. safe to assume I'll also wear the same on a barrie? Sherman Brothers is only a two hour drive from where I live so a quick return wouldn't be difficult if need be.

Thoughts?

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really do appreciate all the responses, guys. I feel compelled to get a cordovan shell since the price is only a tad bit higher than the calfskin. That said, I love the #8 color. I always liked burgundy more than black and found it more versatile as well.

So for the suggestion to consider Allen Edmonds for starting out, if I'm set on cordovan, I notice the price margin is relatively small between AE and Alden in this aspect so I may as well go with the latter, right?

I understand the cap toe or PTB is most appropriate for a wedding and interview but I'm having a hard time resisting this LWB in #8... http://www.shermanbrothers.com/product.php?ItemId=1116&ProductId=208

I'm thinking these could be used a little less formally, getting more wear out of them, while still being worn at a wedding so long as the rest of my attire isn't off, i.e., wearing a pin stripe suit with them. My internships and interviews are at least six months away which'll give me more time to acquire a nice cap toe by AE.

Also I wore a 10.5 on a trubalance in a plain toe boot.. safe to assume I'll also wear the same on a barrie? Sherman Brothers is only a two hour drive from where I live so a quick return wouldn't be difficult if need be.

Thoughts?
You and Stevent make a good point. Spend the money on something you like and will wear often, Like a #8 LWB, and then just get a pair of Johnston and Murphy Black Strait Tip Balmorals for interviews and weddings.

We must warn you though, if you buy Aldens, especially in Shell Cordovan, you are very likely to buy several more pairs subsequently. They really are addicting, and you will come up with reasons in your head to spend another $700 on shoes you don't really need and won't wear often.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads