• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Disagree. CXL creases like hell, which drives me nuts. My boots looked like a 100 year old man after 5 wears. And thats with diligently using trees and Saphir Reno....

If that's the case then i'm envious, Sir.
I buy/wear boots like that so I can put them through their paces and not worry about upkeep.
I like chromexcel for its suppleness, resiliency, and how it shows its age with wear.
I love how it's dignified (brush it and it comes back), and rugged all at the same time.

Last edited:

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I buy/wear boots like that so I can put them through their paces and not worry about upkeep.
I like chromexcel for its suppleness, resiliency, and how it shows its age with wear.
I love how it's dignified (brush it and it comes back), and rugged all at the same time.

I am referring only to aesthetics; I agree with the quality of the leather. We're going to have to agree to disagree, because I found nothing dignified in the almost comical creases the cxl developed almost immediately.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Uh, disagree again. Curmudgeon mode.
J. Crew has slowed production for all of the other vendors - who have far superior makeups - to a halt. I have their PT Tobacco Calf Boot, and it is nice, but all the makeups I've gotten from LS, Moulded, Anatomica, Leffot, Unionmade, Alden on Madison and Shoemart were better. Think of how excellent Alden of DC and SF makeups are. These are all small, traditional shoe/clothing shops, that obviously take the time to think up some different and exciting makeups. J.Crew has a big bank account and is somehow *corrupting* Alden. It's sad how infrequently you'll see new arrivals pop up at these shops while J.Crew has a shitload of their *okay* makeups in stock....

I agree to a certain extent, but respectfully disagree.
while J Crew undoubtedly puts a dent in the production schedule of alden, so many of the wonderful makeups from the boutiques you mentioned are in fairly exotic leathers. So, even if someone had the capital to place orders on a mass scale as j-crew does there really isn't enough material (such as exotic shells) to fulfill such an order.

I agree that J Crew has a number of middle of the road makeups, but others, such as the chomexcel indy and #8 shell chukka and captoe boot, are pure utility and pretty well thought out from a supply/demand standpoint.

Furthermore, Alden has been around for awhile and they wouldn't work with a retailer such as J Crew if it didnt make sense. (anecdotal evidence of them not agreeing to supply retailers within a certain proximity of eachother here in boston leads me to make such a statement)
The way I see it, they hedge deals with big companies such as J Crew so that they can expand their production, this allows them to keep up with the demand from those smaller boutiques with innovative ideas.

I look back a few years ago and there were just so many shops carrying alden. J Crew has been dealing with them for a few years now, and it's been during this time that a lot of these smaller boutiques have blown up. I can't dismiss that as mere coincidence.

Last edited:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

J.Crew has a big bank account and is somehow *corrupting* Alden.

You mean like a stranger with candy?

The delay sucks, I agree, and I'm hardly a huge J crew fan but I'm not sure blame for that can be placed entirely on them.

Alden has to stay in business somehow.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Casual Friday: All-black calfskin Indy boots with commando sole from Alden of Carmel.

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Disagree. CXL creases like hell, which drives me nuts. My boots looked like a 100 year old man after 5 wears. And thats with diligently using trees and Saphir Reno....

I am referring only to aesthetics; I agree with the quality of the leather. We're going to have to agree to disagree, because I found nothing dignified in the almost comical creases the cxl developed almost immediately.

I am in the CXL camp. While I love Alden's regular calfskin, I also like to have their CXL boots as well. To me, the creases only add character and cxl's patina is wonderful after some good wear. CXL also has a very nice tactile feel to it. Dare I say almost sensual?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have CXL quoddies and did have yuketens. For that kind of shoe it's great. For my 403s, I'm mixed. It's nice to have the oilier leather so there's less care, but I get random scratches that look terrible until I clean the shoe up

blake3030

Reaction score

8 months into my pair of CXL indys and they're nothing like what you're describing,

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score

Yea, I'm not saying Alden DC should be tarred and feathered. But I'm not necessarily happy that it happened.
Anyways, here's a contribution to the thread.
My Context Roy boots, favorite things for casual Friday.
photo.jpg

can you remind me why they are called Roy boots?

FENWAY

Reaction score
Pretty sure they're named after someone affiliated with Context...maybe the owners Father. Great boot...love mine

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the leather on Alden's calf offereings cut (shaved) as thick as say the chromexcel or cordovan offerings? I have calf shoes from other shoe companies but don't always love how "thin" the calf feels. I like how robust the cordovan/CXL feels.

sellran

Reaction score

Pretty sure they're named after someone affiliated with Context...maybe the owners Father. Great boot...love mine

All this talk of Roy boots made me decide to wear mine today. These are from the first run at Context a few years ago (when they were made on the Barrie last). They were my first Aldens and I loved them so much they were followed by about 10 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads