• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElDave

Reaction score
The unlined BB hadn't even been on my radar but wow...I really want a pair.

marmottan

Reaction score
The unlined BB hadn't even been on my radar but wow...I really want a pair.

You're 5-6 decades late. Don't miss this train!
I mean Uncle Mac probably made his very first steps with them.

Last edited:

marmottan

Reaction score

Unlined for BB:

Alden lined:

I have both in size 10.5 D. I wear the unlined mostly in warmer months; The Lined in Winter (!). They are not sloppy after a few years of wear. I find Van last runs true to size. The lined are "silkier" to put on; the unlined are lighter to wear. Hope this helps...

Nice patina, especially on the unlined.
Enjoy them.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Sevenfold:
I may be unusual in that I take the same size in all Van, Aberdeen, Barrie, and Tremont. I sized up for Plaza.
I am beginning to lean in this direction too. A tiny bit large or smaller based on different lasts, but I like sticking to one size now.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW:
I am 9D in AE Strand (and other AE shoes on the 5 Last) (this is AE's longest last)(and the brown shell Strand is the best shoe they make, IMO)
I am 9D in Alden's Barrie last (numerous pairs)
I am 9.5D in Alden's Grant last
I am TTS a 9.5D.

I was able to try on a pair of Barrie-lasted plain toe cordovan bluchers in 8.5D today, and they fit great! Can I expect a Barie-lasted cordovan longwing in 8.5 to fit the same/similar enough?

Last edited:

Edgein

Reaction score
+1 I've found TTS on all but the TB. Unfortunately, I was led astray by the Alden rep. I just go with thick socks on the TB. Like the unlined LHS, there is some slight variation as well. I used to have an Alden LHS and it was a hair short, tried a new version and it was tight, the unlined was perfect.

plato

Reaction score
So, with all this LHS discussion, it's worth noting that there's an LHS for sale in my sig....

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Unlined for BB:

Alden lined:

I have both in size 10.5 D. I wear the unlined mostly in warmer months; The Lined in Winter (!). They are not sloppy after a few years of wear. I find Van last runs true to size. The lined are "silkier" to put on; the unlined are lighter to wear. Hope this helps...

nephew,
good shine on your lhs

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my cigar gunboats today to a wedding reception with a khaki suit. Looked sharp. Regretting I didn't SF-geekout and snap a photo before getting undressed for the evening.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe I'll commit sartorial suicide and wear the same thing to Sunday services JUST FOR THE SAKE OF THE ALDEN THREAD

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question:

I have 2 pairs of 9901 shell PTBs in 9.5D (ravello, whiskey, color 8) and they all fit perfectly.

I bought another pair of 9901 PTBs yesterday (black) in 9.5D and they fit tight. Had to return and switch them out for 9.5E, which fits well.

Does anyone else have an experience where they wear the EXACT same model shoe in 2 different sizes?

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question:

I have 2 pairs of 9901 shell PTBs in 9.5D (ravello, whiskey, color 8) and they all fit perfectly.

I bought another pair of 9901 PTBs yesterday (black) in 9.5D and they fit tight.  Had to return and switch them out for 9.5E, which fits well.

Does anyone else have an experience where they wear the EXACT same model shoe in 2 different sizes?  

All my LWBs are 9D, except one is 9.5D. All my PTBs are 9D, except one is 9.5C and one is 9.5D.

As I've stated on this thread before, handmade shoes - even the same model - are bound to fit differently, even if ever so slightly.

Allow me to complicate things further :D :

In the Barrie and M-58 (Alden for BB, like Barrie) I have 9D, 9.5C, and 9.5D.
In the Tremont I have 9D, but could easily go with 9.5C or 9.5D.
In the Aberdeen I have 9D, 9.5D, and 10C.
In the Hampton I have 9D, 9.5D, and 10C.
Plaza and M-75 (Alden for BB, like Plaza) I have 9D, 9.5D and 10C.
Snap (Alden for BB) - 9.5D
Grant - 9.5D
Leydon 9.5D
Van - 9D

Of all the lasts, I have found the Leydon probably to be the most strange (for my foot anyways). If I buy a Leydon lasted shoe again, I will probably get a 10C or 10D. For dress shoes, one of my favorites is the Snap last.

I am quite particular with how my shoes fit, and I treat each pair in isolation (in terms of fit), which is why I am very hesitant to say I am always a 9D in Barrie or always a 9.5D in Aberdeen, etc. Also, contrary to others, I have found that my unlined shoes (snuff suede PTB and color 8 PTB) are actually slightly snugger (not looser) than their lined counterparts.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All my LWBs are 9D, except one is 9.5D. All my PTBs are 9D, except one is 9.5C and one is 9.5D.
As I've stated on this thread before, handmade shoes - even the same model - are bound to fit differently, even if ever so slightly.
Allow me to complicate things further
biggrin.gif
:
In the Barrie and M-58 (Alden for BB, like Barrie) I have 9D, 9.5C, and 9.5D.
In the Tremont I have 9D, but could easily go with 9.5C or 9.5D.
In the Aberdeen I have 9D, 9.5D, and 10C.
In the Hampton I have 9D, 9.5D, and 10C.
Plaza and M-75 (Alden for BB, like Plaza) I have 9D, 9.5D and 10C.
Snap (Alden for BB) - 9.5D
Grant - 9.5D
Leydon 9.5D
Van - 9D
Of all the lasts, I have found the Leydon probably to be the most strange (for my foot anyways). If I buy a Leydon lasted shoe again, I will probably get a 10C or 10D. For dress shoes, one of my favorites is the Snap last.
I am quite particular with how my shoes fit, and I treat each pair in isolation (in terms of fit), which is why I am very hesitant to say I am always a 9D in Barrie or always a 9.5D in Aberdeen, etc. Also, contrary to others, I have found that my unlined shoes (snuff suede PTB and color 8 PTB) are actually slightly snugger (not looser) than their lined counterparts.
+1, +1

When do they put the lining in the shoe? Do they affix it to the shell before cutting out the pattern? Do they put the lining on the last and then put the shell outer on top of it? Do they put the outer on the last and form the shoe, and then put the lining inside of it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads